CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

That was emotional.

MLG and 343 absolutely killed this event. I had a tear in my eye as the show closed out because it really felt like halo has been presented how it should be.

Huge shoutout to @@Wonderboy and @@Infinity for their observing work. We have been pushing for dedicated observers for so long, but having two people who took it as their own and worked SO hard this event to do what they did is just incredible. Thank you so much for making my job as easy as possible.

Please extend my thanks to everyone at MLG @@Clap for looking after us so well. Fantastic people across the board who just wanted the best for the show. Thank you again for having me.

Finally a shoutout to the talent. We have become like family and it’s truely special to work with these guys. You might not see it but we are constantly pushing each other to be the best we can so you guys can enjoy the show as much as possible.

London next weekend, your support for this event would be huge as a lot of Work has gone into it from the Gfinity team back home. Time to enjoy what we have done this weekend before starting all over again next time.

Love you all.

Don't remember seeing many posts like this after some events ran by other organizers, it's nice to see you guys looking like you're having so much damn fun up there.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I will be in London for Halo, taking a trip to Iceland with my wife the following week, and then OWL Week 3 the week after.

Busy, busy, busy. :)

Iceland is a really beautiful place, have fun and don't forget to watch the northern lights :)

For the most part, I really liked the 3rd person cams when power ups were being contested. It really gave a better understanding of what all went into a successful setup.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Could you imagine Halo 5 still being with ESL, and having to watch the events on Facebook?

Thanks you for picking up Halo again @@Clap, and I can't wait for more events to watch!

@@Clap (i hope I @'d someone correctly) You don't know me at all, but I think I love you. What you and the MLG and HCS teams did this weekend was incredible. Probably my favorite event to just sit down and watch in all of Halo 5. The stage was awesome, the casters were great, and the transparency and interaction was amazing. I seriously can't wait for more events. Thank you. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Could you imagine Halo 5 still being with ESL, and having to watch the events on Facebook?

I thought that was just for CS, is that for ALL games under ESL's umbrella? Oh my...

Props to all, amazing event, the praise is more than deserved all round. It was great not having to stay up till 4am in the UK to keep up with the hype. :simms:

Sadly cant make it to London next week as i'm working all weekend but....I can make a quick excursion to Seattle in April. Hotel booked! Can't wait.

:ace: :ace: :ace:

I thought that was just for CS, is that for ALL games under ESL's umbrella? Oh my...

All ESL One events, and ESL Pro League for games CS:GO and Dota 2.

Hey guys

Thanks again for the support this weekend and the kind words of encouragement. This whole weekend was pretty emotional for me.

As I was about to graduate from college at 21 I found out my now wife was pregnant. I was taking a year off after undergraduate to work for a congressman before going to law school and that meant 90 hours/7 days a week of work and 35,000 miles on my car in 5 months driving all over the 18th congressional district of Ohio. During that time of no money, no free time, and being in over my head with life in general I played Halo CE. I'd get home late from campaign/constituency work and my local friends would come to my house and we would LAN.

Halo was so much fun that I wanted to find people to play with our group. So I rented out a ballroom in wheeling, WV, borrowed TVs and Xboxes, made a website and announced an event.."Ohio Valley Shoot Out". 2 weeks after my first son was born I ran the event in August of 2003 and players from all over showed up: Scott Lussier, Puckett, Nistic, Xena + the burton Clan, and many others. I had no idea this scene existed. I ran the event, gave away $2,000 in prize money and thought it was a great experience I could learn from.

2 weeks later while watching ESPN Cold Pizza and seeing the gaming segment from Sundance, I received an email from him while it was airing (no exaggeration) and he said he heard about my event from Bonnie and wanted to talk to me about helping MLG as their first event was rough. I took a 10 hour train to NYC from my little village in OH and met with him and Mike. They offered to match my congressional job of $400ish a month (I was doing it for the letter of recommendation for law school) to help them with their Philly event. I thought what the hell and jumped on board.

In February our philly event ended up being the biggest Halo CE event of all time, they offered me a full time job with their start up and I said "law school will always be there, take a chance". I walked away from a big scholarship and never looked back.

Halo means so much to me and to be back after being on the outside looking in feels great. Very emotional for me and the entire team. Thanks again

I'm not crying, you are crying.  :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 3

i am so fucking pumped

Halo is such an entertaining FPS with so much potential

it feels good to be on the right track again

Too bad halo 5 has no potential as a game. I really hope 343 doesn't drop the ball with halo 6

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 11

For the most part, I really liked the 3rd person cams when power ups were being contested. It really gave a better understanding of what all went into a successful setup.

I agree, I thought they did an excellent job of switching to Y-cam when it made sense without abusing it. They really tried to highlight important standoffs and moments throughout the matches. I'd love to see some more exploration here--I know we don't have a mini map, but it would be cool to see a top-down view of the map sometimes to see where everyone is positioned, and sometimes you can get approximate that with free cam. As long as it's not overused things like that add a lot of depth to the viewer experience, in my opinion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hey guys

Thanks again for the support this weekend and the kind words of encouragement. This whole weekend was pretty emotional for me.

As I was about to graduate from college at 21 I found out my now wife was pregnant. I was taking a year off after undergraduate to work for a congressman before going to law school and that meant 90 hours/7 days a week of work and 35,000 miles on my car in 5 months driving all over the 18th congressional district of Ohio. During that time of no money, no free time, and being in over my head with life in general I played Halo CE. I'd get home late from campaign/constituency work and my local friends would come to my house and we would LAN.

Halo was so much fun that I wanted to find people to play with our group. So I rented out a ballroom in wheeling, WV, borrowed TVs and Xboxes, made a website and announced an event.."Ohio Valley Shoot Out". 2 weeks after my first son was born I ran the event in August of 2003 and players from all over showed up: Scott Lussier, Puckett, Nistic, Xena + the burton Clan, and many others. I had no idea this scene existed. I ran the event, gave away $2,000 in prize money and thought it was a great experience I could learn from.

2 weeks later while watching ESPN Cold Pizza and seeing the gaming segment from Sundance, I received an email from him while it was airing (no exaggeration) and he said he heard about my event from Bonnie and wanted to talk to me about helping MLG as their first event was rough. I took a 10 hour train to NYC from my little village in OH and met with him and Mike. They offered to match my congressional job of $400ish a month (I was doing it for the letter of recommendation for law school) to help them with their Philly event. I thought what the hell and jumped on board.

In February our philly event ended up being the biggest Halo CE event of all time, they offered me a full time job with their start up and I said "law school will always be there, take a chance". I walked away from a big scholarship and never looked back.

Halo means so much to me and to be back after being on the outside looking in feels great. Very emotional for me and the entire team. Thanks again

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4