CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Is it the game or the hardware? Do other games have this issue?

Its software and how it interacts with performance drops if anything is happening probably. I wouldn't be too shocked if hitboxes stretched out or something between how it works online and how its trying to deal with a sudden frame drop or something weird along those lines. Its all a guess though we need someone with these claims to actually provide an example

Its software and how it interacts with performance drops if anything is happening probably. I wouldn't be too shocked if hitboxes stretched out or something between how it works online and how its trying to deal with a sudden frame drop or something weird along those lines. Its all a guess though we need someone with these claims to actually provide an example

I can't myself figure out why the hitboxes would be affected, but I could understand if the aiming felt different due to the resolution being different. Since the X is more powerful, it would probably stay at a higher resolution longer, and not be as affected by the dynamic resolution, but this would make me think the aiming would actually be smoother on the X. So idk. 

To be fair, Asyms simply work the best for Halo 2/3 style game play for competitive, thats why they're almost always picked. Maps like lockout are a rare departure from that.

Maps that I wish could work for H6 (in my eyes) are Coli and the Rig, the rig could work, but it would feel slow as hell, and coli would simply never work

Arena shooters need arena maps

I think you meant symmetrical maps in your first sentence, and I just disagree. Obviously the style of map you mentioned is great for CTF and Assault, but only certain symmetricals will play TS well (see Midship and Sanctuary VS The Pit and Narrows). And Ball and King? Forget about it. They play way better on asyms (Midship Ball being the main exception).

TS, Ball and King are more fun on asyms because you get to use the entire map, especially in King. You get more options for hill placement, more options for ball setups, and usually a de facto "best" place to control in TS, which creates interesting gameplay because the out of control team doesn't just get their own mirrored version of the same geometry. This is why I like dynamic spawns in Sanctuary better, because the ring becomes the focal point of the map, but the other team can spawn anywhere and the game doesn't turn into a linear, backs-against-the-wall pushfest like Reach Sanc and Narrows did, and how The Pit would be if it weren't a series of chokepoints that always turned into a stalemate.

And I know the argument that people that didn't play much H1 always make about TS on asyms. "It becomes a camp fest" and they try to cite BR setup on Lockout TS as the example. And then I remind these people that Lockout didn't have any powerups. ANY problem with camping in TS can be solved by smart powerup placement on 60sec static timers. Hang Em High would be a dog shit map in any other context than H1, and one of key reasons it holds up in that game is because of where camo spawns, and how often it comes up. I've said for years that Lockout TS would play 100x better if a camo spawned in green or under glass (and if H2's camo was a little harder to see than a road worker's vest). That alone would entirely solve the campy setup meta of TS on that map or any other map you can think of.  TS should have faster spawn times for powerups than any other gametype because it's the only thing to fight over.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I can't myself figure out why the hitboxes would be affected, but I could understand if the aiming felt different due to the resolution being different. Since the X is more powerful, it would probably stay at a higher resolution longer, and not be as affected by the dynamic resolution, but this would make me think the aiming would actually be smoother on the X. So idk. 

It should be but what I was saying was pointing more towards it just being unintentionally easier on an older xbox which is also just a total guess. I'd need to see how the server -> client -> server hitboxes work in H5 and what happens when the server knows someone is at X and in the time that's sent to your Xbox they're actually at X +2 because they kept moving but wait you just dropped 15 frames and the resoultion scaling changed so now what happens? Basically a lot of this under a weird scenario. I'd like to think the hitbox has nothing to do with what's actually on your screen but you never know

d7646d3cad301fa6418e7e5656a9c176.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think you meant symmetrical maps in your first sentence, and I just disagree. Obviously the style of map you mentioned is great for CTF and Assault, but only certain symmetricals will play TS well (see Midship and Sanctuary VS The Pit and Narrows). And Ball and King? Forget about it. They play way better on asyms (Midship Ball being the main exception).

TS, Ball and King are more fun on asyms because you get to use the entire map, especially in King. You get more options for hill placement, more options for ball setups, and usually a de facto "best" place to control in TS, which creates interesting gameplay because the out of control team doesn't just get their own mirrored version of the same geometry. This is why I like dynamic spawns in Sanctuary better, because the ring becomes the focal point of the map, but the other team can spawn anywhere and the game doesn't turn into a linear, backs-against-the-wall pushfest like Reach Sanc and Narrows did, and how The Pit would be if it weren't a series of chokepoints that always turned into a stalemate.

And I know the argument that people that didn't play much H1 always make about TS on asyms. "It becomes a camp fest" and they try to cite BR setup on Lockout TS as the example. And then I remind these people that Lockout didn't have any powerups. ANY problem with camping in TS can be solved by smart powerup placement on 60sec static timers. Hang Em High would be a dog shit map in any other context than H1, and one of key reasons it holds up in that game is because of where camo spawns, and how often it comes up. I've said for years that Lockout TS would play 100x better if a camo spawned in green or under glass (and if H2's camo was a little harder to see than a road worker's vest). That alone would entirely solve the campy setup meta of TS on that map or any other map you can think of.  TS should have faster spawn times for powerups than any other gametype because it's the only thing to fight over.

I can respect this! yeah agree that TS is pretty miserable on a lot of symmetrical maps, mid ship is just the goat map, warlock plays pretty well for slayer as well but thats because of sight lines. Maps like the pit have too much walling off and make rotating a bitch, especially with a sniper on the map. Lockout is by far the best TS map they've come out with honestly, but for asyms, I usually think about how bad plaza is right now. The rig is the best asym TS map right now in H5 (imo).

Someone help me out here. I've been playing on the One X (well, not often as Fortnite takes up most of my time), and it definitely feels great, definitely snappier and smoother than the OG box.

It's not like Halo pros ever headcase, right? Suspector took a bunch of time off to play an entirely different shooter that plays and feels different, and he's surprised he's not as good upon returning? Then you have Optic, who now have conveniently the stiffest competitive field they've faced yet. Maybe they're onto something, but I have a hard time believing that moving to a much, much beefier system would somehow make your experience worse.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Someone help me out here. I've been playing on the One X (well, not often as Fortnite takes up most of my time), and it definitely feels great, definitely snappier and smoother than the OG box.

It's not like Halo pros ever headcase, right? Suspector took a bunch of time off to play an entirely different shooter that plays and feels different, and he's surprised he's not as good upon returning? Then you have Optic, who now have conveniently the stiffest competitive field they've faced yet. Maybe they're onto something, but I have a hard time believing that moving to a much, much beefier system would somehow make your experience worse.

Correct.  It doesn't happen.  Never in the history of gaming has playing more powerful hardware given you a worse experience short of driver issues causing obvious hitches and crashes.  Which is not the case here.

inb4 "og centipede's game speed was based off the clock rate of the CPU herp de derp"

• Upvote (+1) 2

I can respect this! yeah agree that TS is pretty miserable on a lot of symmetrical maps, mid ship is just the goat map, warlock plays pretty well for slayer as well but thats because of sight lines. Maps like the pit have too much walling off and make rotating a bitch, especially with a sniper on the map. Lockout is by far the best TS map they've come out with honestly, but for asyms, I usually think about how bad plaza is right now. The rig is the best asym TS map right now in H5 (imo).

I really enjoy Plaza as a map, but I don't play competitive settings hardly ever in H5. I saw you mention that some of the spawn points are what really turn you off to the map, not necessarily the geometry. Do you feel like 5 second respawn times would help those issues?

I really enjoy Plaza as a map, but I don't play competitive settings hardly ever in H5. I saw you mention that some of the spawn points are what really turn you off to the map, not necessarily the geometry. Do you feel like 5 second respawn times would help those issues?

I feel the worst part of the map is the cafe ramp area, it needlessly spawn traps you in TS, with a perfect line of sight from the sniper spawn (head shot on spawn is something I see and experience a lot there). It 10 second spawns on strongholds would be nice, because if you win the fight for bottom middle, even with someone near flowers, you get flooded from cafe ramp spawn, you physically need someone in cafe to stop the spawn. If that area maybe fed directly into hotel it might be better, but its far too power of a spawn location in OBJ and a WEAK spawn in slayer, really a lose lose.

Also, the split spawning recently on every map feels like its been way worse, the other team can be blocking spawns and ill spawn into my death while my team mates will spawn on the other side of the map. Im not sure if anyone else is experiencing this, its been bad since oddball got removed.

• Upvote (+1) 1