CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

If overwatch fails it would be a major blow to esports. The amount of money and big name investors is crazy.

• Upvote (+1) 5

If overwatch fails it would be a major blow to esports. The amount of money and big name investors is crazy.

Consistent 300k tonight.  Pretty decent numbers.  That's just the twitch stream too.  Not even counting the MLG stream. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ryanoob/Rayne/Str8 Sick/Prototype up 3-2 on Ace/APG/Lunch/Neptune right now. 

BabyJ/Commonly/Contra/PreDev

El Town/Rammy/Dastroyed/Nemasisst

Artic/Falcated/Shooter/Tapping.

This 5th-9th seems pretty competitive (with each other). Still don't think any of them could break top 4.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Consistent 300k tonight.  Pretty decent numbers.  That's just the twitch stream too.  Not even counting the MLG stream. 

Why is there a stream on mlg's site when Twitch paid for exclusivity? I'm confused.

This will make or break esports going mainstream,  I hope it works out!

• Upvote (+1) 1

Why is there a stream on mlg's site when Twitch paid for exclusivity? I'm confused.

This will make or break esports going mainstream,  I hope it works out!

Well, MLG is owned by Activision Blizzard and this is Blizzard's league so I guess that's why they can still stream it.  I think the deal was to keep it off Mixer and YouTube.  

• Upvote (+1) 1

As someone who plays the game I find the coloring to be pretty fucky tbh. Esp this purple/white currently.

Granted I was really used to Halo Red vs Blue, when I first started OW even while playing it seeing the "red team change sides" while spectating took some getting used to but this home/away coloring thing is just weird to me.

I reckon the colouring is pretty smart, each team has their own colours, makes it easy to see who is on each team when competing, and provides very cool merch and in game purchase opportunities. Each skin is $5 (per hero), how much money do you reckon Blizzard made in the opening weekend alone? 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I reckon the colouring is pretty smart, each team has their own colours, makes it easy to see who is on each team when competing, and provides very cool merch and in game purchase opportunities. Each skin is $5 (per hero), how much money do you reckon Blizzard made in the opening weekend alone? 

$90 million.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I decided to watch a vod of this OWL thing to see what it was about.

Didn't have a clue what was happening. I saw a Hanzo climb up a wall and scatter arrow than the PoV swapped to a Bastion in turret mode with a shield in front of it and then there were explosions but I wasn't even sure if they were in the same team. So I turned it off. The key to viewership is accessibility. New viewers need to be able to follow it. The popularity of Overwatch will only take it so far. For eSports to ever really be mainstream is needs to be easy to watch and understand and follow, like (Football/Soccer)/Rugby/Basketball.

A 1st Person PoV isn't going to work in a game as fast and as hectic as Overwatch if the PoV changes to different people constantly. If there was a way to choose to view a specific player to watch it would be much easier to follow because you'd have the constant point of reference as to what is happening around it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Didn't have a clue what was happening. I saw a Hanzo climb up a wall and scatter arrow than the PoV swapped to a Bastion in turret mode with a shield in front of it and then there were explosions but I wasn't even sure if they were in the same team. So I turned it off. The key to viewership is accessibility. New viewers need to be able to follow it. The popularity of Overwatch will only take it so far. For eSports to ever really be mainstream is needs to be easy to watch and understand and follow, like (Football/Soccer)/Rugby/Basketball.

A 1st Person PoV isn't going to work in a game as fast and as hectic as Overwatch if the PoV changes to different people constantly. If there was a way to choose to view a specific player to watch it would be much easier to follow because you'd have the constant point of reference as to what is happening around it.

Agreed. The game is absurdly difficult to watch and I've played it quite a bit. I actually find 1st person easier to track than 3rd but with player counts that high in a fast paced game with single objective points it will never be easy to watch

• Upvote (+1) 3

Data says, your opinion doesn't matter.

Popularity can actually carry an esport pretty far. LoL is completely inaccessible, yet it’s at the top.

Overwatch is completely uninteresting to watch for a guy like me who doesn’t play the game. But people who are into the game it seem to like watching it just fine.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Agreed. The game is absurdly difficult to watch and I've played it quite a bit. I actually find 1st person easier to track than 3rd but with player counts that high in a fast paced game with single objective points it will never be easy to watch

I don't think either of you have played enough then if you find it that difficult to watch. It isn't any harder to follow than a game of Dota. The single objective points make it much more simple to watch. If you understand all the characters and their abilities I don't see how anyone could have that hard of a time following what's happening.

• Downvote (-1) 1

the production of the OWL was amazing. The game itself was just all over the place. I felt myself watching the kill feed exclusively to understand what was exactly going on. 

watching OW is like trying to watch a basketball game while in a washing machine

it really makes you appreciate games like rocket league, cs, and halo

z7xfCV8.jpg

source

Very impressive numbers when you consider most of Europe was tucked up in bed.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

i dont think overwatch having a learning curve for viewing is necessarily bad. other games like dota and LoL require you to know a lot about the game interms of hero matchups, cooldowns, itemizations, etc. it takes a little bit of time to get used to spectating it and may bring new people to the game so they can play and see how it works. dont dismiss it just because you were confuse 10 minutes into your first viewing. i think the new hud, team "jerseys", and the top-down overview with character icon overlays will go a long way in helping new viewers get used to the flow of the game

• Upvote (+1) 2

watching OW is like trying to watch a basketball game while in a washing machine

it really makes you appreciate games like rocket league, cs, and halo

z7xfCV8.jpg

source

Watching OW does not make you appreciate what halo currently is in any way shape or form.

i mean i don't get motion sickness from watching halo but o-k

If watching it gives anyone motion sickness, i truly feel bad for them due to how weak a stomach they have. It's a good thing you never played Quake, UT, or Painkiller. But more so than that, when watching OW you get to see a game with a diverse range of weapons and abilities that actually work well together. You know, you're actually watching a decent game.

• Downvote (-1) 12

If watching it gives anyone motion sickness, i truly feel bad for them due to how weak a stomach they have. It's a good thing you never played Quake, UT, or Painkiller. But more so than that, when watching OW you get to see a game with a diverse range of weapons and abilities that actually work well together. You know, you're actually watching a decent game.

Now I haven't watched very much of Champions, but Quake never overloaded the senses with tons of flashy lights, particle effects, and perspective changes every 15 seconds.

• Upvote (+1) 6