CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So how about that rank reset? Anyone know. "This week" is slipping away.

Last I heard was the 13th over on the cancerpoint..er...waypoint forums

I’d be chewing my fingernails off if I spent millions on a franchise team, or 90 million to stream the game before it was proven to be that successful as an esport (although I’m sure there are assurances in place somewhere)

It’ll certainly be interesting to see the outcome.

right, that's the thing ... shouldn't Blizz have first built up OW as a standard esport, similar to how they built up SC2, using the standard "ESL / MLG partnerships and circuit events with dev-sponsored worlds" method?  Why immediately dump hundreds of millions of dollars into this strange franchise system for a completely unproven esport?  I don't see any universe where the OW League is a complete failure, but it may end up being hard to recoup these costs ... it all just screams "bubble" to me

• Upvote (+1) 1

So catch a noob up what is this Overwatch thing happening tonight and what time? I may tune it to see what all the hype is about.

So catch a noob up what is this Overwatch thing happening tonight and what time? I may tune it to see what all the hype is about.

The Overwatch League starts tonight. The teams are all franchised, with 10 million dollar buy-ins from their orgs who then had to create city-branded teams, like the Seoul Dynasty and Houston Outlaws.

For now, all of it is taking place in LA but future seasons will feature true home/away matches.

• Upvote (+1) 4

right, that's the thing ... shouldn't Blizz have first built up OW as a standard esport, similar to how they built up SC2, using the standard "ESL / MLG partnerships and circuit events with dev-sponsored worlds" method?  Why immediately dump hundreds of millions of dollars into this strange franchise system for a completely unproven esport?  I don't see any universe where the OW League is a complete failure, but it may end up being hard to recoup these costs ... it all just screams "bubble" to me

They have had $100k events under both MLG and ESL. OGN in Korea have been having running what would be considered the premiere Overwatch league which was multiple LAN based seasons. Peep the tournament prizing and viewership numbers, I fail to see how it is unproven as an esport when in really it's probably the closest to a tier1 esport despite not even showing it's full hand yet.

With the popularity of the game they don't have to settle for mediocrity (even though they could, there's more than enough 3rd party TO interest), especially when they have one of the best TOs in the business under their umbrella. The sheer amount of money going into it is dizzying, but what they're trying to do is actually pretty cool.

• Upvote (+1) 4

They have had $100k events under both MLG and ESL. OGN in Korea have been having running what would be considered the premiere Overwatch league which was multiple LAN based seasons. Peep the tournament prizing and viewership numbers, I fail to see how it is unproven as an esport when in really it's probably the closest to a tier1 esport despite not even showing it's full hand yet.

With the popularity of the game they don't have to settle for mediocrity (even though they could, there's more than enough 3rd party TO interest), especially when they have one of the best TOs in the business under their umbrella. The sheer amount of money going into it is dizzying, but what they're trying to do is actually pretty cool.

just a heads up Chinese viewership data is very unreliable, in case you weren't already aware

make sure you always take those numbers with a grain of salt

Love that this is a thing.

I hope the winner gets showered in gold

In all seriousness though, it's awesome what GB is doing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dont like posting my own tweets here but I thought this was funny as hell  :D

LqVD1m3.png

Is it really this simple?

• Upvote (+1) 9

quarter mil watching OW re-runs right now...

300k right now and it's not a re-run, it's the first day of Overwatch League.

300k right now and it's not a re-run, it's the first day of Overwatch League.

yea they are just showing re-runs right now though.  Not playing yet. 

interesting, somehow I hadn't noticed the MLG/ESL events ... plus I suppose the odds are reasonably high that a multi-billion company knows what they're doing lol.  I'm definitely curious to see where OWL is in a year, though

Interested to see the viewership through out. 360k for the first map. Which is pretty impressive.

Don't know if its true but one of the pros was saying one of the owners of one of the OWL teams was saying they'd be happy with 30k for this first one. I was just like 30k is such a low number, 100k easy. Glad thats easily been surpassed.

I don't get it

There’d normally be text saying that he’s following whoever person he’s talking about in the convo. Tashi says to follow HDH when he doesn’t follow him himself.
  • Upvote (+1) 6