CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Hi-Rez in particular has a habit of copying whatever is popular at the moment and then abandoning that game to move on to the next cash grab. They made Paladins to take advantage of Overwatch's popularity then shoved in very, very p2w microtransactions as soon as it was no longer bringing in enough cash.You could write a thesis just listing all the stuff the stuff they've done with Paladins that was money grubbing without talking about all the balance fuckups.

I still haven't mentioned Tribes (RIP, one of my all time faves)(which they also changed to p2w as soon as it started declining) , the new ripoff card game they're making, and Global Agenda (

). People think EA, Activision, and Ubisoft are bad, lmao.

Smite is quite good and quite fair. Lot of free stuff without paying a single penny. Also I don't see anything p2w there.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Hi-Rez in particular has a habit of copying whatever is popular at the moment and then abandoning that game to move on to the next cash grab. They made Paladins to take advantage of Overwatch's popularity then shoved in very, very p2w microtransactions as soon as it was no longer bringing in enough cash.You could write a thesis just listing all the stuff the stuff they've done with Paladins that was money grubbing without talking about all the balance fuckups.

I still haven't mentioned Tribes (RIP, one of my all time faves)(which they also changed to p2w as soon as it started declining) , the new ripoff card game they're making, and Global Agenda (

I love this argument so much. Sure, Paladins absolutely stole stuff from Overwatch, no doubt. Just like Overwatch stole shit from Team Fortress.  Etc etc on and on.  This isn't exactly a unique practice in game development anywhere.

The P2W argument is legit as is the BS that happened to Tribes, but its not nearly as bad (in Paladins anyway, i have no idea about their other games) as you make it sound.  I am kind of OK with this because the game is actually free and as of the last update all the cards (ability modifiers basically, for those that don't play) are unlocked for everybody.  Ranked play also sets all of these cards to the same level so there is 0 P2W in ranked.

I play both paladins and overwatch but there is something about overwatch that makes it feel like a sweatfest all the fucking time, so i end up not playing it nearly as much.

I find this demonization of development that isn't "unique" to be tiring.  as a consumer i like to have options and if some company can come in, copy the design without getting sued and create something i like better, good for them.  In the same way that I find Fortnight more fun to watch than PUBG, i find Paladins more fun to play than Overwatch. is what it is.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I honestly reckon they should employ Hi Rez to make a halo:champions game. Loads of cool potential characters, plus it might help keep 343 focused on classic halo

Did you read anything I just wrote? Not only would the game be full of p2w bullshit and things designed to make Hi-Rez money but it would also be terribly balanced and buggy.

Literally the only game Hi-Rez hasn't fucked up yet is Smite. That's because it's still popular and attaining profit. As soon as it even slightly starts to decline HiRez will screw the game for profit then go leaving players high and dry.

Smite is quite good and quite fair. Lot of free stuff without paying a single penny. Also I don't see anything p2w there.

Global Agenda is the only game besides smite that they've made or making where they didn't include anything that was p2w. Congrats on being apart of the only player base they haven't fucked over yet.

I love this argument so much. Sure, Paladins absolutely stole stuff from Overwatch, no doubt. Just like Overwatch stole shit from Team Fortress. Etc etc on and on. This isn't exactly a unique practice in game development anywhere.

The P2W argument is legit as is the BS that happened to Tribes, but its not nearly as bad (in Paladins anyway, i have no idea about their other games) as you make it sound. I am kind of OK with this because the game is actually free and as of the last update all the cards (ability modifiers basically, for those that don't play) are unlocked for everybody. Ranked play also sets all of these cards to the same level so there is 0 P2W in ranked.

I play both paladins and overwatch but there is something about overwatch that makes it feel like a sweatfest all the fucking time, so i end up not playing it nearly as much.

I find this demonization of development that isn't "unique" to be tiring. as a consumer i like to have options and if some company can come in, copy the design without getting sued and create something i like better, good for them. In the same way that I find Fortnight more fun to watch than PUBG, i find Paladins more fun to play than Overwatch. is what it is.

I have no problem with games that copy other's concepts and tweak it to produce their own formula. I was a huge defender of Paladins and Battleborn on other forums when they were announced because I didn't care about the unoriginality. What I do have a problem with is a company has fucked over their customers in some way almost every single game they've made. As for you believing it's not p2w the entire Paladins subreddit disagree with that.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Right, but you can't see through walls.

Yeah but you could disable abilities. You couldn't disable Bloom or all the other shit.

Global Agenda is the only game besides smite where they didn't include anything that was p2w. Tribes, Paladins, and their new card game are all p2w. Congrats on being apart of the only player base they haven't fucked over yet.

Chests in smite are lame as fuck. That's my only real issue aside from limited/exclusive skins.

*edit, this was awesome

• Upvote (+1) 5

Except, you know, Paladins and Overwatch were in development at the same time

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Now they're releasing a card game that has ripped off another card game. Was this one in "development at the same time" too?
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Now they're releasing a card game that has ripped off another card game. Was this one in "development at the same time" too?

You're joking right? Paladins came out like 3 months after Overwatch. Like people said before Overwatch and Paladins are copying Team Fortress 2, I don't understand why you want to drag Hi-Rez over making Paladins.

Everyone and their mom is making a card game. Just like everyone (including Paladins) is making a battle royale mode. Please stop.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You're joking right? Paladins came out like 3 months after Overwatch. Like people said before Overwatch and Paladins are copying Team Fortress 2, I don't understand why you want to drag Hi-Rez over making Paladins.

Everyone and their mom is making a card game. Just like everyone (including Paladins) is making a battle royale mode. Please stop.

And it just happened to copy of several key elements that happened to be quite unique to this card game? Surrrreee........
  • Downvote (-1) 1

And it just happened to copy of several key elements that happened to be quite unique to this card game? Surrrreee........

Are you talking about Paladins anymore?

I have no idea what card game they're making and don't follow card games

(OG Yu-Gi-Oh Ride or Die)

MLG is back, online qualifier is next week, new teams are the most interesting we've seen in a while and we're talking about Paladins?

As opposed to what? Scrim stats gossip? lol.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Are you talking about Paladins anymore?

(OG Yu-Gi-Oh Ride or Die)

No.

Besides that OG Yu-Gi-Oh is/was pretty damn good.

Paladins started out significantly more different to Overwatch than it is now.

Very early on the core mode had you deliver a payload to gates and have to attack/defend those gates until finally laying siege to the enemy's base.  The maps were larger.  You could mount whenever you wanted.  TTK's were different.  A small assortment of heroes, mostly unique with a few exceptions like Fernando.

Now?  The mode and maps are literally just straight up Payload, smaller and without the ability to mount after spawn. Many of the heroes they've added have striking resemblances to Overwatch heroes.  Not blatant copies but definitely very strong imitations.

I don't think it's a ripoff by any means.  But I do think they definitely steered the game that direction over the course of it's development for some of that Overwatch money.

And I agree with ripharambe that they threw their own community under the bus for profit.  I stopped paying after they gutted survival mode and I'm sickened to see both the new P2W aspects and the fact survival will probably be permanently replaced with some terrible battle royale.

• Upvote (+1) 1

As opposed to what? Scrim stats gossip? lol.

I mean that was pretty regular occurrence up until the conclusion of 2017 world's. The season starts next Saturday with a tournament organizer that the community has been vying for a very long time, so the hype is there but at the end of the day it's up to as the community to keep the train rolling. 

• Upvote (+1) 2