CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Sketch mentioned that he is interested if the X fixes heavy aim since many people say the games responsiveness has gone up dramatically while playing on it.

I'm just gonna take the time to say that this is the most garbage thing I've ever read.

It's admitting they don't know how to optimize for a console that H5 was being designed for at the start. As a bonus imagine this makes people aim better and becomes p2w

It's really not that surprising TBH. 343 wanted a locked 60fps, which is great, but they tried to do everything they could to optimize visual fidelity. The OG bone is just not powerful enough for this. The sad thing is that resolution has become such a hit selling point that they risked and ultimately sacrificed aiming responsiveness in order to hit an arbitrary resolution "goal". I would have rather had a 720p game with 60fps and perfect crisp aiming than what ended up shipping.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm just gonna take the time to say that this is the most garbage thing I've ever read.

It's admitting they don't know how to optimize for a console that H5 was being designed for at the start. As a bonus imagine this makes people aim better and becomes p2w

Better hardware yielding better performance isn’t anything new. It’s the name of the game, really.

It sucks that input response appears to be tied to the performance of their dynamic resolution system, but it’s really not different from previous games dropping frames, having claustrophobic FOVs, low framerates, etc-

I would’ve preferred the locked resolution from the beta (the game actually looked better), but we all know they would’ve gotten ripped for that more then they are getting ripped for this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

All Xbox consoles will require a connection to ping home. If internet drops during a game, the game will continue but stats won't appear.

This flow is very unorthodox and at first was something we were wary about communicating back when HaloWC 2016 kicked off. There was no real precedent for something like this, honestly. Generally speaking, we've begun having more open conversations with everyone which we understand is very important and is a key pillar for us going forward.

I love you tashi. You can @ me too.

So when the xbox one X comes out people playing on it will have an advantage in mp over others rocking the regular xbox one. Wtf

Yeah, they are running on better hardware...

Which is no excuse for it being busted in the first place? Seriously, if they made a conscious decision to make responsiveness go down to hit their targets (which is not a thing, responsive controls don't effect resolution)  then I really question the capability of 343 to make a decent shooter.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Which is no excuse for it being busted in the first place? Seriously, if they made a conscious decision to make responsiveness go down to hit their targets (which is not a thing, responsive controls don't effect resolution) then I really question the capability of 343 to make a decent shooter.

Did I say it was an excuse?

Personally I doubt they consciously fucked with input response. It was probably an unintended consequence of their dynamic resolution solution.

Personally I think dynamic res is a terrible idea for a competitive mp shooter. But i recognize that there are external pressures to slap 1080p on a box even though MS delivered terrible hardware.

In general, I'm not happy with many of the decisons 343 made around inputs. There are too many actions that require to many button presses. They check for GP before melee instead of assuming melee then checking for GP. Zoom animations seem to reduce response time as well.

This particular issue, H5 feeling better on better hardware, I dont think is nefarious or intentional though. It's the nature of better hardware to overcome software bottlenecks. They aren't going to hard code random delay into the X version to enforce input parity .

The idea that they are trying to get people to pay-to-win arena is unfounded. It's more likely that they are simply porting their game to the X.

• Upvote (+1) 8

So when the xbox one X comes out people playing on it will have an advantage in mp over others rocking the regular xbox one. Wtf

Probably overreacting here guys. You cannot have a pay to win game when no one is actually playing the game. Pretty sure the 200 Tryhards that still grind HCS who actually care about rank, heavy aim and winning are not significant enough to get worked up for, or the target of an underhanded Mircorsoft sales team

I am curious to see what 2018 tournaments are going to be run on, and the screens too. There are not many 24inch 4k options out there if HCS is going to be run off the X in 4k.

Gfinity, UGC and Millennial all have a great events so we don't NEED MLG. It would just be really really nice. 

The anticipation for this announcement really is killing me.

It's amazing how getting a paycheck from a TO can make someone think that "Great" events are being run by these companies.

Outside of Gfinity, they are the greatest.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Did I say it was an excuse?

Personally I doubt they consciously fucked with input response. It was probably an unintended consequence of their dynamic resolution solution.

There is definitely no way that they intentionally shipped a game with an input response issue. Its very fathomable that the issue was simply not caught during in house testing, as im assuming they played the many builds of the game on dev kits in a closed environment. Things happen unfortunately, and no testing environment is ever perfect. The issue has always been transparency and how long it takes to get an answer and a legitimate fix. Heavy aim was something that was reported by players early on, yet not a word was said until over a year into the game's lifecycle. If you cant fix it with the way the engine is currently constructed I get it, but just be open with that fact. People hate when things don't work the way they like it, but they hate it even more when they don't like how something is working and they cant even get a knowledgeable response from those who created it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's amazing how getting a paycheck from a TO can make someone think that "Great" events are being run by these companies.

Outside of Gfinity, they are the greatest.

If you don't trust my opinion, ask someone else that has been to these events. They are ran well. (Plus I attended some of them as a spectator/competitor.)

Do they have the budget MLG does? No way. But they were still really smooth. Dreamhack Atlanta had a massive problem due to an error in design with the Xbox One. The tournament would've ran fine with LAN. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

I keep logging out after refreshing the page even though I have it set to remember me. Somebody please send help.

I keep logging out after refreshing the page even though I have it set to remember me. Somebody please send help.

clear your cache + cookies

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lurk more, post less. Problem solved?

XEZzPE6.png

Name a more iconic duo

@@Deez I'm just kidding please don't leave

I have never had an issue with AR's and stuff being good. I just never wanted them in competitive. I actually like using the AR in campaign and warzone and it being a good weapon.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I have never had an issue with AR's and stuff being good. I just never wanted them in competitive. I actually like using the AR in campaign and warzone and it being a good weapon.

I agree! Unfortunately there are people like reiku who think we want to nerf automatics until they're nerf guns again :/

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you don't trust my opinion, ask someone else that has been to these events. They are ran well. (Plus I attended some of them as a spectator/competitor.)

Except that the viewing experience at home for tournaments run by these companies is routinely dog shit, to put it kindly.

If I grant you that these events are being run well at the venue (which judging by the variety of audio, lag, venue and delay issues that are constantly reported on by spectators and players is unlikely), that's a nice cherry on top of a pile of pure nothing.

Your stream audience will always be greater than any attendance at the venue, and that is what drives growth and profit for a game. If nobody is watching the stream, nobody is going to attend the event. If nobody is doing either, orgs and advertisers aren't going to put in any real money into an esport. If there is no money in the game, talented players will leave to go to other games.

If the stream production is garbage and ruining events for people not there, you are not running a "great event". Sorry to break that news to you.

Dreamhack Atlanta had a massive problem due to an error in design with the Xbox One. The tournament could've been ran fine had there been LAN. 

Xbox One supports LAN. 343 did not put LAN support into Halo 5. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Xbox One supports LAN. 343 did not put LAN support into Halo 5. 

Right, I meant the reason for Halo 5 not being programmed from the beginning with LAN in mind was because initially there was a MAJOR flaw with the One that was eventually changed due to the uproar from fans.

No esport event will be ran perfect. Not even MLG.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Right, I meant the reason for Halo 5 not being programmed from the beginning with LAN in mind was because initially there was a MAJOR flaw with the One that was eventually changed due to the uproar from fans.

No esport event will be ran perfect. Not even MLG.

I wouldn't really say it was the Xbox One itself that was flawed and didn't support LAN. That really doesn't make any sense when you have hardwired Ethernet ports and the ability to connect p2p/online/whatever. It was that their xbox division pushed to exclude the option or everyone was collectively silly enough to not go for it all at the same time suddenly. The hardware was always entirely capable of being used just like we always used it they just wanted to ignore that and push for the always online thing and that's why suddenly everyone was able to go for work around options once that turned out to be a really stupid idea

• Upvote (+1) 2