CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Settings update:

https://twitter.com/HCS/status/944384950245011456

"Slayer on Eden has been benched from competitive play for the Halo World Championship 2018 season"

Sniper ammo reduced to 8, rocket ammo reduced to 2.

In the Coliseum Sniper vs. Rockets analysis I did, I noted that the results were from before the ammo change. That result gave a slight advantage to sniper in terms of impact on match outcome.

With this ammo change, where rocket ammo has been halved but sniper ammo only reduced by a third, it would follow that sniper becomes even more comparatively powerful.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Settings update:

"Slayer on Eden has been benched from competitive play for the Halo World Championship 2018 season"

Sniper ammo reduced to 8, rocket ammo reduced to 2.

:eyes:

Reducing Sniper ammo seems appropriate, but idk about rockets. Now it's only 2 rockets every 2 minutes and I feel like for CTF especially that basically puts them into a niche whereby failing to get near-perfect use out of them is completely wasteful.

343 will lead the charge on settings.

But, @@Tashi has reached out to us already on opinions on things already. We have Merk here along with a variety of other Halo lifers who will share as much info as required/desired to help out in any way we can.

You guys got this forum too ya know :)

• Upvote (+1) 2

In the Coliseum Sniper vs. Rockets analysis I did, I noted that the results were from before the ammo change. That result gave a slight advantage to sniper in terms of impact on match outcome.

With this ammo change, where rocket ammo has been halved but sniper ammo only reduced by a third, it would follow that sniper becomes even more comparatively powerful.

You have to account for the reduced map pressure from lowered Sniper ammo and the increased chance of running out of ammo before the new Sniper spawns.

This can increase the chances you can peek or push for rockets on their spawn and thus reduce overall Sniper impact on the map.

It will also increase mobility on the map in general since, again, less oppressive Snipe pressure comparatively.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Anyone have the clip of optics aerial grenade strike?

As well as the screenshot of that one dlc map in H4 that had bad glare? and the one ninja tweet with sunglasses for H5?

Alright, I'll bite.

What were you wanting?

Eden Slayer has always been one of my favorite gametypes. I understood the disdain for it at the high level though. Regardless, the map is still one of the better designed arenas in Halo 5 and its sad that they are just tossing it out the window instead of trying to create a weapon layout that is competitively viable for Slayer.

Making sweeping changes to ammo seems a bit haphazard, because as people have said, changing the presence of one weapon has different effects across different gametypes. Not necessarily a bad change though.

I also disagree with giving the Ball carrier Thrust. Don't know why we are giving more survivability options to an objective carrier in a defensive game mode.

And as a whole, this whole "Strongside mediation" is leading to exactly what I feared would happen. No actual innovative changes or redesigns that take advantage of Halo 5's peak competitive potential. I just don't understand why our pro players ask to strip the game to a barebones state rather than petitioning for new and competitive ideas and solutions.

I'm not saying we need to have Storm Rifles and ARs on the map, but our competitive ruleset is becoming more and more bland, and is becoming more distanced from "standard" Halo 5 play.

Powerups are underutilized. Power weapons are inconsistent and often too easy. No word on Fathom CTF. No word on new rules for Slayer/Strongholds. No new layouts for our existing gametypes.

Also, why is Oddball just copy/pasting Slayer layouts? Nearly every gametype in Halo 5 shipped with a unique layout that was designed specifically for that map-gametype combo. Why are we assuming these variants will just naturally work for Oddball with zero changes?

I don't know man. Maybe this is what the community wants, and if the majority enjoys it, then by all means I hope we have an awesome season of competition. But this isn't what I pictured the peak of Halo 5 competition looking like. It's bland, uninspired, and safe. It'll be less fun to spectate and it will dilute the already stale maps and gametypes that we've been playing for 2+ years.

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 2

You have to account for the reduced map pressure from lowered Sniper ammo and the increased chance of running out of ammo before the new Sniper spawns.

This can increase the chances you can peek or push for rockets on their spawn and thus reduce overall Sniper impact on the map.

It will also increase mobility on the map in general since, again, less oppressive Snipe pressure comparatively.

Good points. I was thinking purely in terms of a comparison between rockets and sniper. Relatively, I still see this strengthening sniper. But in terms of absolute impact, I agree sniper impact be reduced.

So less sniper ammo = less risk for opponent to acquire rockets + more freedom of movement with rockets, which is huge because rockets are only really effective if you can get close to the enemy. If rockets still had 4 rockets, this could cause a huge shift. But with only 2 rockets every 2 minutes? Seems like potential rocket damage is hurt pretty strongly, even with weaker snipe.

What I looked at with the data was pretty limited (though we act like the results are definitive lol). It was only looking at weapon time of possession and match outcome. There's probably better analysis methodologies that could've been used. I'm working on a "value added" metric that better measures the in-match impact of events, instead of just looking at the match outcomes (which is still a fair metric, as the ultimate objective is to win).

The less power weapons the better in this game. Lmao they are just too easy and too annoying. No complaints here.

Now if only it wasn't JUST Eden TS that got removed....

• Downvote (-1) 1

We want to add Forge maps so we can remove maps/gametypes we feel are weak. Forge maps can't come until after worlds.

Thrust on ball is just a small test since the ball is so heavy, it's been a negative reaction so far.

We're trying stuff for Fathom soon.

Yea hopefully there can be some good forge maps that can replace existing gametypes. I just know people are gonna ask to add them on top of what we have instead of replacing the weaker stuff, which isn't what I want at all.

And yea ball with thrust isn't very fun lol. Idk what really can be done to improve it besides the spawn penalty and weaker beat downs. It's a hard gametype to really get right in this game. Also, hopefully there's a way to make assault good in this game because I'm seriously in need of more symmetrical static spawn gametypes. 3 CTFs just isn't cutting it for me.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ball carrier ideally wouldn't have thrust but given the debilitating half second delay of dropping the ball, the ball carrier needs an extra line of defense, the ball carrier in H5 is weaker than in any other game right now.

Good points. I was thinking purely in terms of a comparison between rockets and sniper. Relatively, I still see this strengthening sniper. But in terms of absolute impact, I agree sniper impact be reduced.

So less sniper ammo = less risk for opponent to acquire rockets + more freedom of movement with rockets, which is huge because rockets are only really effective if you can get close to the enemy. If rockets still had 4 rockets, this could cause a huge shift. But with only 2 rockets every 2 minutes? Seems like potential rocket damage is hurt pretty strongly, even with weaker snipe.

What I looked at with the data was pretty limited (though we act like the results are definitive lol). It was only looking at weapon time of possession and match outcome. There's probably better analysis methodologies that could've been used. I'm working on a "value added" metric that better measures the in-match impact of events, instead of just looking at the match outcomes (which is still a fair metric, as the ultimate objective is to win).

Just another reminder on why you can't balance video games in a vacuum.  Every little thing has a cascading impact on the rest of the game's flow.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If you'd like, I can gather some good 4v4 maps that have been tested by the community. However, I ask that you please keep an open mind. There was an example from a friend of mine that had used his twitter to compile some quality 4v4 maps to another pro. That pro only looked at half of the maps once in Forge, and left the other half alone just because he didn't like the screenshot.

If you're really trying to give us some fresh maps to play, I have confidence that you'll at least take my advice. Just say the word, and I'll give a detailed post of each map I pick and why.

Thanks for reading.

I wonder how that advice went with ryanoob when you sent him different versions of Sanctuary than the one he was testing.

I wonder how that advice went with ryanoob when you sent him different versions of Sanctuary than the one he was testing.

Considering he made a video of the one he found being tested, and no footage of the others?

Well, I hope he's happy with his decision.