CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

We've been saying this forever...CE sub-bracket at H2, H2 sub-bracket at H3

Can't undermine the flagship though, shitty as it may be

Any legacy game would outdo Halo 5 unless it was actively suppressed. Even a 5000 dollar sub-bracket for Halo 3, in my opinion, would draw more attention for sign ups than the Halo 5 tournament. You'd probably get plenty of players that would compete in both, but a lot of locals (anyone maybe in like a 3 hour radius or so) that once played Halo 3 competitively or at all, would likely be interested. I don't think they really want that situation going on if there is an official type of prize pool. The home-grown CE setup that was at one of last years tournament was probably all that would be allowed in my opinion, no matter how supportive MLG is of the old games. As you said @@Catalyst, can't undermine the flagship, lest they realize their game sucks and is less popular than prior titles.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Going back to the YouTube discussion, not only does Call Of Duty have a larger base audience than Halo, but my uninformed guess will be that their demographics are younger, as well. More uninformed guesses, but I'm thinking that not only are younger audiences more likely to watch YouTube, but they're also more likely to enjoy more frequent, vlog style uploads, where the personality is more important than quality of content. That's just my take on it. Puts Halo pros at a disadvantage on that medium.

Any legacy game would outdo Halo 5 unless it was actively suppressed. Even a 5000 dollar sub-bracket for Halo 3, in my opinion, would draw more attention for sign ups than the Halo 5 tournament. You'd probably get plenty of players that would compete in both, but a lot of locals (anyone maybe in like a 3 hour radius or so) that once played Halo 3 competitively or at all, would likely be interested. I don't think they really want that situation going on if there is an official type of prize pool. The home-grown CE setup that was at one of last years tournament was probably all that would be allowed in my opinion, no matter how supportive MLG is of the old games. As you said @@Catalyst, can't undermine the flagship, lest they realize their game sucks and is less popular than prior titles.

The game is definitely less popular than previous titles. A sub tournament could help bring in people to the event, which these events drastically need. I don't expect it to happen, but I know I would make it to an event if I could play and watch a H3 tournament with the main H5 event as well. 

That's what make me sad, Halo isn't "Halo" anymore. There's so many other games that have filled the vacuum that was left when Halo 4 flopped as a competitive title. COD & LOL are the  new "Halo" and I don't know how we get that back; 343, just like Bungie before them, don't seem to be able to learn from their mistakes

But, that being said, we're back at MLG and that's pretty effing exciting.

The game is definitely less popular than previous titles. A sub tournament could help bring in people to the event, which these events drastically need. I don't expect it to happen, but I know I would make it to an event if I could play and watch a H3 tournament with the main H5 event as well. 

Yup. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing the MLG production level brought to Halo, the game itself simply doesn't incentivize me to be more than a casual observer. Even though MLG Columbus will only be a couple hours away from me, I'm not shelling out money to watch a game that I simply don't enjoy. If it was CE, H2, or H3 I'd be there in a heartbeat, but with Halo 5, I'll just be watching the stream. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Yup. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing the MLG production level brought to Halo, the game itself simply doesn't incentivize me to be more than a casual observer. Even though MLG Columbus will only be a couple hours away from me, I'm not shelling out money to watch a game that I simply don't enjoy. If it was CE, H2, or H3 I'd be there in a heartbeat, but with Halo 5, I'll just be watching the stream. 

I honestly can't believe they haven't tried to monetize the stream; that tells you how truly unpopular competitive Halo has become

I remember when ESPN picked it up with the Top 10 and was helping facilitate the livestreams...I thought we were really going places

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm in the same boat. I'm ecstatic we got MLG back, I think it is big for the long term viability of the HCS. However, I just struggle watching the game anymore unless it is an event and I definitely cant play it. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tashi was very supportive of us at Daytona and expressed interest in offering some older side games at events. I know he's been gathering some equipment himself but I think we discussed the ease of having MCC available to handle all games quickly and easily compared to multiple set ups of various Xboxes and crt's/monitors.

It's hard for me to say where people draw the line. For halo CE I firmly believe that the people who are already traveling to attend LANs would not show up if it was anything but OG CE, or NHE.

For halo 2 and 3 I'm really not sure if people would write off MCC or not. Yes there are bugs and issues but it seems like the entire halo 2 and 3 community are playing some form of the game online. I hope someone can tell me I'm wrong but there are no LANs for halo 2 or 3 that I know of.

I don't think a $5000 tournament is enough to really get older players to commit. Definitely not as a standalone event. I could be wrong, but I'm basing this off Beach LAN's turnout, as well as the halo 2 events at esports arena and homies gaming shack.

I know it sounds negative but I just don't a lot of people will put their money where their mouth is. Granted, we haven't had a major, large scale tournament like MLG used to put on, but have had a couple other small outlets in the past that weren't taken advantage of.

Right when the partnership was announced I had said I look forward to what MLG can bring to the table regarding these old games that tashi is supportive of.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Tashi was very supportive of us at Daytona and expressed interest in offering some older side games at events. I know he's been gathering some equipment himself but I think we discussed the ease of having MCC available to handle all games quickly and easily compared to multiple set ups of various Xboxes and crt's/monitors.

It's hard for me to say where people draw the line. For halo CE I firmly believe that the people who are already traveling to attend LANs would not show up if it was anything but OG CE, or NHE.

For halo 2 and 3 I'm really not sure if people would write off MCC or not. Yes there are bugs and issues but it seems like the entire halo 2 and 3 community are playing some form of the game online. I hope someone can tell me I'm wrong but there are no LANs for halo 2 or 3 that I know of.

I don't think a $5000 tournament is enough to really get older players to commit. Definitely not as a standalone event. I could be wrong, but I'm basing this off Beach LAN's turnout, as well as the halo 2 events at esports arena and homies gaming shack.

I know it sounds negative but I just don't a lot of people will put their money where their mouth is. Granted, we haven't had a major, large scale tournament like MLG used to put on, but have had a couple other small outlets in the past that weren't taken advantage of.

Right when the partnership was announced I had said I look forward to what MLG can bring to the table regarding these old games that tashi is supportive of.

As a competitive H2 player, host advantage on MCC is unbearable.  Many guys have moved onto H2V/Projector Cartographer because the spawns and host on MCC's H2 make any full lobby not worth playing.  Basically if there are 8 similarly skilled players in a game, the host himself or whatever team he is on is always going to win.  You CE guys did the smart thing by implementing neutral host boxes and bot profiles.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Strongside is the one in charge of settings for the HCS now so there's less hoops to jump thru now I'm pretty sure Mikwen made a tweet about it at one point.

I'd also like to see 5 second respawn times return in slayer and 10 seconds for all objectives gametypes as well.

@@Mikwen?

"Suspector Crew" has been added to HDH and 39 games have been backtracked for them.

Also their scrim with LG last night has allowed Oddball stats to be added for the first time  :ace:

• Upvote (+1) 5

Just imagine how much better all objective gametypes would be with 10 second respawns.

Just imagine how much better slayer would be with 5 second respawns.

Ya know, like it always was before Halo 5.

^ This pls! It really is about time now!

Yeah Side has been working closely with us, calling us and having hour long conversations and taking the feedback and pushing through everything we want basically. Only things he has no control over are sandbox issues i.e Oddball being extremely heavy.

I don't think we'll see anything "too" drastic until post Worlds though.

Thanks for the quick response!

That is awesome to hear! hopefully we get some some good (small) tweaks before worlds.

What do you think of many in the community wanting 5sec slayer and 10sec objective respond times? I'm fine with the 8sec respond time in slayers, but I think OBJ's would be 10000x better with a 10sec respond.

"Suspector Crew" has been added to HDH and 39 games have been backtracked for them.

Also their scrim with LG last night has allowed Oddball stats to be added for the first time :ace:

Geez, Shooter & co. is currently 5-34 in scrims, with all 5 Ws against Danoxide's team.

Geez, Shooter & co. is currently 5-34 in scrims, with all 5 Ws against Danoxide's team.

Looking at that team, it seems to really be lacking in slay power. 4 good players, but not a great slayer among them.

Waiting in line at Wendy’s for my 4 piece chicken tenders right now. Its been a while. That’s all.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Looking at that team, it seems to really be lacking in slay power. 4 good players, but not a great slayer among them.

This seems to be the way Halo games go. The last year or two is just a lot of teams dropping players that can't slay because really you don't want the smart player that struggles to do anything individually as soon as most players are decently intelligent with how they approach the game. Not to say that everyone on the team has to be some kind of crazy talented slayer but you can't have people that have big individual issues

• Upvote (+1) 2

Waiting in line at Wendy’s for my 4 piece chicken tenders right now. Its been a while. That’s all.

NavG: Terrible writer, great at h5 1v1s, makes poor fast food decisions by not getting a 4 for 4 meal at Wendy's. 

• Upvote (+1) 6