CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I think the major difference here is that summit had a very popular game to put his personality on display with to attract viewers to even open his stream to begin with. Halo had Ninja who was doing great for a Halo player but immediately blew up as soon as he started streaming something else. Ogre2 could've been doing youtube since it's inception and maybe if his personality really attracted people to keep watching he'd have kept a stable base because of H2/H3 but nobody is going to start in modern Halo and get anywhere other than to a point where they jump ship to get more viewers with a new game without a major turn around from this franchise

That's certainly true. If YouTube was relevant during Halo 2/3 we'd have seen some good Halo YouTube channels rise but as Halo 4 and 5 have gone for trendfollowing instead of QoL/improving the franchise it's not going to get any new fans.

That's certainly true. If YouTube was relevant during Halo 2/3 we'd have seen some good Halo YouTube channels rise but as Halo 4 and 5 have gone for trendfollowing instead of QoL/improving the franchise it's not going to get any new fans.

I've made this argument before Shekkles. Halo's scene typically doesn't put in the work that Call of Duty's has. Players don't seem too interested in growing their own brand. I get that it is a ton of work, but it pays off. And on top of that...players should know they aren't forced into Halo videos. They can keep uploading Halo games but upload other stuff too - tournament vlogs, regular vlogs, live commentaries, OTHER GAMES...there is a lot of content to be made and even if gaming videos don't do as well as they used to, they still do make money. Just because they wouldn't be making Scump or Nadeshot money off the bat doesn't mean that there isn't money to be made from YouTube. Might not be thousands a month, but a few extra hundred bucks each month would be good for anyone to have. On top of that, growing a fanbase can help players become more popular streamers, which also leads to more money. But like you said, seems that personality and to me, work ethic, is a bit of an issue.

Someone teach me how to make a few hundred bucks a month. I know my content isn't top tier quality but I think I'm doing something wrong. https://imgur.com/a/kR5Mx

I should learn how to post images

I feel like the value of daily uploads can't be overstated. Now granted I don't produce content so I don't know how much of a strain that would be on your life, but it allows your viewers a certain amount of consistency. When I watch content creators in other games that I follow like Overwatch, CoD, and Fortnite, seeing those videos every day is just a given. Whether or not it's just a simple gameplay with commentary or a listen in, a weekly stream highlight video, or something else, I feel like it's going to be more effective to building a viewership than sporadic uploads here and there. The more someone watches and enjoys your content, the more they want to watch and enjoy your content. Although to be fair I don't know how applicable this is going to be at this stage of Halo 5.

Also, if you want to embed the image into the page, you need to post the BBCode link provided on imgur, not the direct link. Like this:

SjbW10w.png

I mostly meant that I have posted 235 videos getting somewhere between 300-1000 views per video and haven't broke $100.

Ouch. I mean there’s always more you COULD be doing to try and grow your channel but at some point it’s beyond your control and it’s just the appetite for the games content.

I tired doing YT content a while back, Its harder than people think to keep going when your videos dont get much attention.

But that was me, someone who didnt have a starting platform. Pro's on the other hand already have a starting point in terms of an audience.

I dont have a clue what videos pros would make other than scrim matches though. 

I tired doing YT content a while back, Its harder than people think to keep going when your videos dont get much attention.

But that was me, someone who didnt have a starting platform. Pro's on the other hand already have a starting point in terms of an audience.

I dont have a clue what videos pros would make other than scrim matches though. 

Yeah my first video sat at 300ish views for three months, but I wanted to make something more. Something bigger and better. When I made my next video I wanted it big and epic. A community found my video and shared it and I got about 20K views from them and it's been going strong since. I think you just need that breakthrough video that gets a lot of views like mine did and get a stable following. 

As for what pro's can do, Snip3down was getting 10-15k views per video just for commentary over scrims or matchmade games. 7 of those a week at 15k views is like $300 a month. 

Yeah my first video sat at 300ish views for three months, but I wanted to make something more. Something bigger and better. When I made my next video I wanted it big and epic. A community found my video and shared it and I got about 20K views from them and it's been going strong since. I think you just need that breakthrough video that gets a lot of views like mine did and get a stable following. 

As for what pro's did, Snip3down was getting 10-15k views per video just for commentary over scrims or matchmade games. 7 of those a week at 15k views is like $300 a month. YouTube is weird though.

Looking back now some of my videos did pretty decent 

gXpVIHX.jpg

As for what pro's did, Snip3down was getting 10-15k views per video just for commentary over scrims or matchmade games. 7 of those a week at 15k views is like $300 a month.

oh yeah totally seems possible  :lxthul:

here's snip3downs youtube channel btw, https://www.youtube.com/user/EDWSnip3down/videos?disable_polymer=1

he wasn't getting 10-15k views daily

it's not the pros fault that YT is a shit platform for gaming content creators, twitch is easier to earn money on, and there's no demand for halo 5 game play

it has nothing to do with "work ethic"

there is no audience

oh yeah totally seems possible  :lxthul:

here's snip3downs youtube channel btw, https://www.youtube.com/user/EDWSnip3down/videos?disable_polymer=1

he wasn't getting 10-15k views daily

it's not the pros fault that YT is a shit platform for gaming content creators, twitch is easier to earn money on, and there's no demand for halo 5 game play

there is no audience

I think he could have though. His stream was getting 1000 viewers for a bit.

You are right though. 343's poor handling of HCS and the franchise in general has lead to dreadful viewership across the board.

Ouch. I mean there’s always more you COULD be doing to try and grow your channel but at some point it’s beyond your control and it’s just the appetite for the games content.

This. I think you do a great job @@RyaNoob honestly. But there's only so much you can do about the game that you play. Can always try throwing in content on the other games (older ones maybe?) and see how it does comparably. 

there is no audience

Maybe the audience sucks for Halo 5, or the more recent Halo games. The pros, and no one doing content, is tied specifically to Halo 5. They can do commentaries over older games, or other games for that matter. There is a lot of other things content creators can do. I'm not disputing the point that YT has certainly made it harder on video game content creators, particularly for FPS and other shooting games. But it can still be done. And I agree that Twitch for them would be easier, and yet there's a severe lack of streamers. Again, so Halo 5 sucks and people don't want to watch it...play other games when you're not scrimming. People will watch other games, people will watch if the personality shines through. There's no audience for Halo 5, but the pros and amateurs can do a ton more to build their own audience that isn't tied to Halo. Ninja did it. We'll never know definitively if it made him play worse in Halo, maybe it did, maybe it didn't, but you can do both. That's all I'm saying. 

Was just watching my old Halo 5 beta clips. The game felt sooo much better in the beta. I don't know how they made a game worse after a beta test. Generally, it should improve the game. 

@@Tashi could 343 start doing more to help promote pro player content outside of tournaments? It seems like the more money they make through the game (tournaments or content) the more interest/views halo 5 gets and it becomes a win win win (thanks Michael Scott).

There are definitely people other than me better qualified to come up with the specific plan, but it feels like an opportunity that’s currently being missed to grow halo and the community as a whole.

Was just watching my old Halo 5 beta clips. The game felt sooo much better in the beta. I don't know how they made a game worse after a beta test. Generally, it should improve the game. 

I'm gonna disagree with you on that one. The beta was terrible to play

I feel like we should all be sending strongside a thank you for listening to feedback and acting on it quickly so they don't think we're ungrateful.

i agree about listening to feedback but it would be nice if he could remember his password here so we could talk without having to worry about character limits...