CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

It's so annoying. We love Halo more than anyone. Many people on here have followed Halo for 7 years without a game they kind of enjoyed. 10 for most. Thats insane dedication. 

Nope, according to that guy: "beyond is full of people that only seek to hurt halo."

Pack it in boys, we're done.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Nope, according to that guy: "beyond is full of people that only seek to hurt halo."

And that guy is beyond stupid. 

:kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Fucking lol. 

0FgGcFY.png

Braveheart is a great movie so we can take this as a compliment  :ace::weback:  :beyond:

• Upvote (+1) 8

Fuck, you mean I've wasted hours explaining why sprint is bad for the future of Halo because I want to hurt it?

I've been outplayed by 343's superior vision for Halo!

Looking at Neighbors media tweets and it is full of classic Halo. I mean, he is a classic halo fan and everyone knows it, even 343. I choose to read the last tweet as a statement that he love classic Halo and that´s it. And even if you love Halo I think there is a big difference between playing a game for fun and going through endless and repetitive testings as an employee, even if you will love the final product. But on the other hand, the radio silence about the hashtag is kind of frustrating...

• Upvote (+1) 3

My # has nothing to do with my departure from the studio. I woke up the next morning and was surprised by the controversy my tweet spurred. It was not intended and I TRULY do wish the very best for 343. With that being said I am done with Halo. I've spent half of my life obsessed/in love with a game that I care deeply about and I personally know its time for me to move on. I'm sorry if my tweet was misleading. Its new being back on twitter, give me a mulligan

So is H6 classic or not. Spill it out.

• Upvote (+1) 9

My # has nothing to do with my departure from the studio. I woke up the next morning and was surprised by the controversy my tweet spurred. It was not intended and I TRULY do wish the very best for 343. With that being said I am done with Halo. I've spent half of my life obsessed/in love with a game that I care deeply about and I personally know its time for me to move on. I'm sorry if my tweet was misleading. Its new being back on twitter, give me a mulligan

What's next for you? Are you still going to be in gaming or are you gonna move on to something else?

edit: i really tried hard to look cool in this pic and i'm not even joking.

3-4 pages of this forum getting so angry about this tweet.  Huh, you guys were completely wrong but that will be glossed over because today begins a new search for some reason to hate 343 and Halo.  I think 343 is passionate about the game and I like them as well.   If you've watched any of the vlogs and you seriously think those guys don't care about Halo you really can't be helped.  Looking at all the other shitstorms of developers/communities out there right now I'd take a passionate group of people anyday to handle the IP I love.  At least they picked up the game we love and are trying to keep it going so it didn't fade off to black.  Halo 5 was the closest thing I've had to the Halo 1 magnum that I spent my freshman year of college playing with, that trumps most. I'm 148 in H5 and I still play it today, I'm not everyone but there are some of us out there who still love playing this game and do not wish death and everlong criticisms against 343.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 28

today begins a new search for some reason to hate 343 and Halo

Nobody needs new reasons to dislike 343, there are plenty enough as it is. And I don't think anyone posting on a competitive Halo forum would be doing so because they secretly hate Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Awesome, and it is fantastic that it was my post that made you coming clear. I will take credit for it, no matter what. :-)

I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Nah it won't be out in 2018. This is based on 1: the fact that they were looking to hire a lead campaign designer, a writer, a multiplayer design lead, an mp level design lead (hellooo), among other very, very vital positions less than a year from the 3 year launch date.

And 2: the things that they straight up told me when I was on the phone with them interviewing. Pretty much confirmed they were still trying to figure everything out. Honestly I never signed an NDA with them so I could probably just say here if I really wanted to be an ass (I won't). Like I've said before, I'd wager they're closer to a 5 year cycle than 3. It won't be less than 4 though.

Hmm, the more you know haha. Thanks for the additional information and for correcting me! Appreciate it bud. This scene is going to be in deep shit if MLG doesn't get freedom to tweak the settings and develop some maps if they have to play this game for another 3 years. Good lord. If I might ask too, what are you doing for a job now? Are you still with 3Arc since the 343 thing didn't work out? I feel like that might've been glossed over after that whole situation happened and I'm genuinely curious. I've seen some of your H5 maps I think, and they were great.

I don't think you can have good settings with spartan abilities enabled. You can only get as far as not horrible.

Regardless of whether or not the settings are decent this time around or not it is bad idea  to let the developer have complete control over the settings, as they by their very nature will have invested interests in ensuring some weapons, modes or maps make it through the selection process, competitive viability be dammed as they have an invested interest in those as they created them.

It should be left to an independent non biased third party TO, to make the most competitive viable settings.

Couldn't agree more with your post. It's essentially a conflict of interest. I know that the competitive scene should be a great built-in advertisement for the game and company, but they shouldn't be able to be in complete control of the settings like that. 

Chill out about H6. We don't even know anything about the game.

Even if it does include spartan abilities, we don't have to use them for competitive play if we're vocal from the very start of the game's life cycle.

We didn't have to have them for Halo 5 too, until it was forced on us. I know there was talk at some point of TB running tournaments on different settings like No Radar or whatever, but then like @@CyReN and @@Saucey pointed out at the time, people compete in TB tournaments for a chance to play the game they want to compete in so if they were running tourneys with different settings they'd be doing those players a disservice. I almost wish we could've grown a scene around the Evolved settings and played better maps than are offered. It would've been pretty cool and having played Halo 5 with classic-style movement and maps, it really was a lot of fun if nothing else. The game had serious potential and it got pissed away. So if they add in features to chance the game like a toggle on their bullshit movement mechanics and gimmicks, then hopefully they let the competitive scene tune them to make the game as competitive as possible. Hopefully too they create a game where gametypes can actually be played like Oddball, Assault, and KotH because (personal opinion of course) Strongholds sucks compared to KotH. Let's hope they make some maps that are good and memorable too, but given their map development track record and that they didn't hire @@MultiLockOn I'm not too optimistic there.

Man I wish I could be this optimistic about being able to change the game

Hit me right in the feels buddy. I'm right there with ya.

Halo 6 has more potential to be great than any of the other sequels. 343 has proven that they're good at listening (we have MLG) so don't panic.

There's no way you could've been serious saying that 343 has proven they're good at listening. Every game they produce has a ton of potential to be great. Halo 5 had the potential, until they forced dogshit settings, a terrible sandbox, and the worst maps the franchise has to offer. If they gave MLG competitive settings freedom, we'd get a much better version of this game, or at least that's what I like to believe. There's a chance I'm completely deluding myself with that though, especially since I don't anticipate 343 giving up any of the control they have because it would be tantamount to them admitting they have no idea what they're doing when it comes to the competitive scene.

i was hoping mlg might bring him back but he's a celebrity now

MLG isn't going to bring back people who left because the game is brutal. It might bring back some spectators and viewers because of the experience they give, but it won't suddenly make people want to compete that left because they hate the game. Plus, Ninja's stream has grown a lot since he stopped competing in Halo. Even though I don't like his stream, good for him.

It seems like it, "Competitive Systems Manager on Battlefield" is in his twitter bio sounds like a bigger(higher paying) role than he had with 343. 343 is honestly lucky, I dont know of any other competitive community that would of given them this big of a leash and positive PR(except for that Neighbor tweet) almost to the point of fakeness. There are communities, like CS for example, that will publicly flame the developer for their weak moves and if they dont think they are doing the right thing for the scene(and their livelihood in some cases) in order to get what they want.

Especially the Europeans, those guys dont mess around when it comes to their opinions of competitive FPS lol. The worst you get in the Halo scene is a passive aggressive tweet. I guess different cultures and different communities but I feel like an open line of communication between the developer and the competitive scene is vital for trust and progress and that includes criticisms when necessary. 343 is not some almighty tyrant that should not able to be questioned and criticized, publicly if necessary. In oldschool FPS communities that lasted many more years than any modern FPS community, the players and core community controlled much of the progress, content creation, and direction of the game not the dev and I still feel it should be that way. Some out of touch old hag in a suit relying on echo chamber "test groups" for confirmation of the direction of their series instead of relying on core community feedback and player empowerment is how Halo and many other modern FPS have been turned into generic garbage without the essential pulse of a strong passionate core community behind it.

I didn't realize that was why Ghost left 343. I remember Battlefield having a 5v5 competitive mode and scene at some point in the past, so maybe they're trying to hop on the esports wagon now that they have a game people love again? I saw recently there was speculation that next year's title is Bad Company 3 which would succeed one of their more popular entries into the franchise I believe. Curious to see the direction this takes.

Congratulations on the career, competition career, and deciding that you need to move on. As someone else asked, are you going to still be gaming and staying in the industry? Or are you going to try and branch out and do something else? Genuinely curious what someone who has eat, slept, and breathed gaming for years would switch to if leaving the industry entirely. Good luck with the future man, you deserve the best.

3-4 pages of this forum getting so angry about this tweet.  Huh, you guys were completely wrong but that will be glossed over because today begins a new search for some reason to hate 343 and Halo.  I think 343 is passionate about the game and I like them as well.   If you've watched any of the vlogs and you seriously think those guys don't care about Halo you really can't be helped.  Looking at all the other shitstorms of developers/communities out there right now I'd take a passionate group of people anyday to handle the IP I love.  At least they picked up the game we love and are trying to keep it going so it didn't fade off to black.  Halo 5 was the closest thing I've had to the Halo 1 magnum that I spent my freshman year of college playing with, that trumps most. I'm 148 in H5 and I still play it today, I'm not everyone but there are some of us out there who still love playing this game and do not wish death and everlong criticisms against 343.

I respect that you like 343, and that you readily admit it on this forum. It's definitely not a popular opinion. I know a lot of people say that they think 343 hates Halo and doesn't care and stuff, but I think we all know that they do care, we just tend to feel like they don't really give a shit about the competitive scene a lot of the time because of their extreme lack of transparency and communication. Not to mention the drive by posts we've gotten promising improvements in those areas, only to see none. In my opinion, it probably would've been better if Halo just stayed where it was after Bungie left the series because look at the bullshit we've gotten. 3 terrible stand alone games and an absolute mockery of the original series most of us fell in love with to begin with. I'm sure the original trilogy would have been remastered by someone at some point regardless of 343. You (M$) don't just let a cash cow like the Halo franchise die like that and how popular it was. I'd love it if 343 finally figured their shit out and suddenly became a competent game developer, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think they should've been given the opportunity to try and create their own game because that seems to be what they wanted in the first place - and what we've been given instead is some deformed version of Halo that has killed the franchise for thousands of fans. They've made so many mistakes and missteps that people don't really need to search for new ones, but I'm sure they'll come along. Take it all with a grain of salt, especially because I very much dislike the direction the franchise has taken, and I believe that 343 is going to continue down the path. It's not that I want to keep playing Halo 1 or 2 or 3, but a game that actually fit within that narrative, trilogy, and style would've been great.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I want to cast some halo. 

Anyone be interested in watching @@Wonderboy and me cast some scrims in the evening if people let us?

Always.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I want to cast some halo.

Anyone be interested in watching @@Wonderboy and me cast some scrims in the evening if people let us?

I would watch you guys cast a game of checkers.

• Upvote (+1) 9

I love the idea that Beyond is a group of subversive agents trying to take down halo.

Really makes me feel like I have a purpose.