CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Seen Lunchbox's name floated around - is he still playing?

Also, isn't Predev/Contra duo back?

Contra dev back will bring me joy
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Why would so many employees be leaving 343(Ghost,Neighbor,like two creative directors before that) if Halo 6 was going back to a "classic" direction and we have MLG now? Unless they were offered better opportunities elsewhere the reason they probably left is obvious...they dont agree with the direction of the series and dont want to be apart of it. Expect the worst, hope for the best. 343 has given me no reason for optimism regarding their creative direction(aka forcing the worst modern FPS mechanics into Halo and not playing to its strengths as a shooter) which has been weak and uninspired from the start.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Why would so many employees be leaving 343(Ghost,Neighbor,like two creative directors before that) if Halo 6 was going back to a "classic" direction and we have MLG now? Unless they were offered better opportunities elsewhere the reason they probably left is obvious...they dont agree with the direction of the series and dont want to be apart of it.

better opportunity and more money probably, that would make me leave a company too. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

better opportunity and more money probably, that would make me leave a company too. 

Okay so why not just say that? "I enjoyed and appreciated my time at 343 but its time for me to go onto bigger things in my career" Simple. Its pretty obvious there is some friction there and it probably has to do with creative direction(not that they effect that all but still). Neighbor is not dumb,he knew how the community would respond to that tweet.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not necessarily bro.

Gonna use Multi's example (I love you Multi, I'm your fan). He used to be a Treyarch and he didn't think twice before switching to 343, while at the same time the money was less than what he was getting paid. Or something like that.

Anyway, we're talking about people who loved Halo and dedicated their lives to compete in this franchise, so these decisions had to be more complicated than just "a better offer" and to be fair, if several senior staff decided to leave the company - there might be a situation in the company that is not fitting well with a lot people.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Not necessarily bro.

Gonna use Multi's example (I love you Multi, I'm your fan). He used to be a Treyarch and he didn't think twice before switching to 343, while at the same time the money was less than what he was getting paid. Or something like that.

Anyway, we're talking about people who loved Halo and dedicated their lives to compete in this franchise, so these decisions had to be more complicated than just "a better offer" and to be fair, if several senior staff decided to leave the company - there might be a situation in the company that is not fitting well with a lot people.

I never said that was the reason why he left. I said that because that’s why most people leave a company like that. With that said, Multi was going to go to 343 because he had the opportunity to work on Halo. Maybe neighbor had something go wrong in the company or something, we don’t know why he left. I’m sure it was better for him since he did leave a Microsoft studio, nobody leaves a company like Microsoft because they don’t like their job.

• Downvote (-1) 1

nobody leaves a company like Microsoft because they don’t like their job.

Tell that to all the ex-343 employees that left Microsoft to make their own Indie Game Company  :huh: 

jk

But true tho.

Not necessarily bro.

Lots of people in the industry who start in QA will leave if given an opportunity to work in a game developer role, I dont see any indication this was the case with Neighbor however, not sure about Ghost. The fact that Neighbor hasnt clarified the tweet leads me to believe the #classichalofan at the end was basically saying "Im a fan of classic Halo, not 343 Halo sorry." Right or wrong that is the meaning the tweet conveys. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

Lots of people in the industry who start in QA will leave if given an opportunity to work in a game developer role, I dont see any indication this was the case with Neighbor however, not sure about Ghost. The fact that Neighbor hasnt clarified the tweet leads me to believe the #classichalofan at the end was basically saying "Im a fan of classic Halo, not 343 Halo sorry." Right or wrong that is the meaning the tweet conveys. 

I think with Ghost it was that he got a better offer from a really good friend of him in the Battlefield team. Wasn't it? Idk anymore.

I think you guys are reading wayyyy too deep into Mason's tweet, as someone who knows what really is going on. Take the pitchforks down.

Fucking thank you. Jesus christ.

*edit there was a 1v1 between neighbor and tashi on H2?

I think with Ghost it was that he got a better offer from a really good friend of him in the Battlefield team. Wasn't it? Idk anymore.

It seems like it, "Competitive Systems Manager on Battlefield" is in his twitter bio sounds like a bigger(higher paying) role than he had with 343. 343 is honestly lucky, I dont know of any other competitive community that would of given them this big of a leash and positive PR(except for that Neighbor tweet) almost to the point of fakeness. There are communities, like CS for example, that will publicly flame the developer for their weak moves and if they dont think they are doing the right thing for the scene(and their livelihood in some cases) in order to get what they want.

Especially the Europeans, those guys dont mess around when it comes to their opinions of competitive FPS lol. The worst you get in the Halo scene is a passive aggressive tweet. I guess different cultures and different communities but I feel like an open line of communication between the developer and the competitive scene is vital for trust and progress and that includes criticisms when necessary. 343 is not some almighty tyrant that should not able to be questioned and criticized, publicly if necessary. In oldschool FPS communities that lasted many more years than any modern FPS community, the players and core community controlled much of the progress, content creation, and direction of the game not the dev and I still feel it should be that way. Some out of touch old hag in a suit relying on echo chamber "test groups" for confirmation of the direction of their series instead of relying on core community feedback and player empowerment is how Halo and many other modern FPS have been turned into generic garbage without the essential pulse of a strong passionate core community behind it.

• Upvote (+1) 4