CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I'm kinda dissapointed cause I don't think this team is good enough to stop optic from winning back to back to BACK hwc.

(just judging by the names doe)

Huke was the best player by far on nV, and they were placing top 3/4 with him ... so ... yeah

• Downvote (-1) 5

Was hoping 343 saw the success of WW2 and would make Halo 6 classic Halo again. Guess not :(

I'm honestly impressed that he put that hashtag in there, I'd be a bit scared of doing that to a former employer ... anyway I guess we already knew that Halo 6 wouldn't be a 'classic Halo' but I was at least hopeful that 343 might carve out a 'classic' mode for competitive.  But I strongly doubt that now.

anyway the most important news is that Neighbor, my favorite Halo player of all time, is now an F/A  :weback:

• Upvote (+1) 2

Was hoping 343 saw the success of WW2 and would make Halo 6 classic Halo again. Guess not :(

this is so bad, imma give this a few days to settle but I'm most likely done with halo

• Upvote (+1) 3

this is so bad, imma give this a few days to settle but I'm most likely done with halo

With the MLG taking over, it's the right time to give up on Halo !

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You guys are reading way too far into that tweet.

I mean, chances are that the next Halo isn't going back to classic gameplay. That said, do you really think that the Neighbour would go and potentially reveal details about 343's next title in a 3 word hashtag on the day that he leaves?

Nah, I'm pretty sure that hashtag wasn't meant to mean anything.

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Can we skip the Rent talk for this next downtime and just have everyone list the best food trucks they've ever eaten at?

Kogi >>>>>>>>> anything else.

So i heard the news.

Don't get me wrong, this is terrific news. MLG coming back to the scene is fantastic.

However, the impact they can make to this game, at this point in it's life is minimal.

This is made worse by the fact 343 still controls the settings, I mean come on guys let the experts handle this, they look after all the settings for COD, let them do the same here. So we have a great TO but an average game, and shit settings.

Don't get me wrong this is a giant leap in the right direction, but I just can't get that excited as MLG hasn't been give full licensee over the settings and as we have seen with 343, they cannot be trusted with such things. In essence what really is changing ?

We are one third of the way to being in dream land.

Great game - no

Great settings - no

Great TO - yes

All we have now is a better platform, nothing else changes

• Upvote (+1) 4

No doubt the growth we'll get from MLG will bring old + new orgs back into the Halo scene.

Who knows, maybe C9 will have a Halo team for longer than a Bo3 series

I'm genuinely curious how much you think Halo 5 will grow as stale and brutal as it is, just because MLG is here. I mean, the events will be run impeccably well and production value will be amazing, but the scene is still very small and the game still very much sucks. I'd be surprised if big organizations came into the scene now, after it's been stale as hell for two full years. The TO is amazing, the game is so far below average. 

Game doesn't have to be classic Halo for it to be a good game, at this point I'll take anything that even remotely hooks me like any Halos in the past.

And we apparently have an MCC fix coming too.

As much as I love classic Halo, I tend to agree. If the game is playable and fun, and there aren't any bullshit gimmicks and it was hooking me in? I'd be down. I hate spring in Halo, but if they figured out a way to implement it without breaking map design and gameplay, by all means, incorporate it. Stabilize, clamber, thrust, ground pound, and Spartan charge are all bullshit to me. They don't serve any purpose, and clamber actively takes out a skill-based movement that classic Halo games had in them with skill jumps. Again though, if they found a way to implement clamber in a non-gamebreaking way, by all means, throw it in there.

I'm very skeptical on their "fix" for MCC. I foresee them pretending like they care about it, and letting it fall by the wayside.

I don't know what you guys expect from forge maps. They've borked the updates so many times in a row that the smallest amount of detail causes frame drops. The maps basically NEED to look like complete shit to run a perfect 60. Within the 1600 object limit you'll start noticing drops at about 400-650 depending on what pieces you use.

In regards to Halo 6, have faith guys :) if it was going to be as abysmal as H5 then they would actually be on track with their 3 year dev cycle. The fact that they're this far behind should tell you they're changing it up.....again

I love your insight based on your map development. It really is great to see some of the reasoning behind things like that. However, they're still on track for their 3-year development cycle, they just haven't shown any early gameplay like usual. Don't forget, three year development cycle puts release in 2018 from a 2015 release of Halo 5.

EDIT: shit-tier double post, my bad boys.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So i heard the news.

Don't get me wrong, this is terrific news. MLG coming back to the scene is fantastic.

However, the impact they can make to this game, at this point in it's life is minimal.

This is made worse by the fact 343 still controls the settings, I mean come on guys let the experts handle this, they look after all the settings for COD, let them do the same here. So we have a great TO but an average game, and shit settings.

Don't get me wrong this is a giant leap in the right direction, but I just can't get that excited as MLG hasn't been give full licensee over the settings and as we have seen with 343, they cannot be trusted with such things. In essence what really is changing ?

In esssence we are on third of the way to being in dream land.

Great game - no

Great settings - no

Great TO - yes

All we have now is a better platform, nothing else changes

Besides the obvious in removing Spartan abilities, what would you want changed from the current HCS settings?

• Upvote (+1) 2

A couple things.

What do we want MLG to do to the settings? These are the best settings we have had in H5. If you want abilities turned off you underestimate how much every weapon was designed around thrust and large maps due to sprint. I think the settings have been pretty good for awhile we just need high-quality events and good marketing. 

MLG being back is very good news and I'm trying to go to Orlando and I'm excited to watch Columbus and Seatle from home. 

The neighbor thing depresses me a lot actually. I hope that hashtag didn't have all the meaning we assigned to it. Still, H6 could be more classic than H5 or H4. Also, to be honest, I wouldn't despise a Halo 6 that is just a well-implemented H5. More and better maps, better servers, better weapon design etc. 

Also, how would you guys about Halo having a 1 year cycle like CoD, traded between 3 developers so we could keep the same 3 dev cycle? Would this help keep the community? The games could be more different from each other and react to trends faster (I want Halo to set trends again though). Or it could make the games become even more soulless than they already are due to 343s mistakes. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Update:

You can buy a Beyond Hoodie for $25 until Monday (18th) - After Monday I am not sure when we will have apparel available again (as a fair warning). 

https://teespring.com/beyond2017

front.jpg?v=2017-12-15-17-06

Still catching up to the last 10ish pages, but wanted to ask a question about this. Want an honest answer. Are these hoodies thick, or thin? My wife bought me a Dr Disrespect hoodie a few months ago (queue the drama) and it is so thin that I don't enjoy it, because it doesn't keep me warm and isn't as comfortable. 

A couple things.

What do we want MLG to do to the settings? These are the best settings we have had in H5. If you want abilities turned off you underestimate how much every weapon was designed around thrust and large maps due to sprint. I think the settings have been pretty good for awhile we just need high-quality events and good marketing.

MLG being back is very good news and I'm trying to go to Orlando and I'm excited to watch Columbus and Seatle from home.

The neighbor thing depresses me a lot actually. I hope that hashtag didn't have all the meaning we assigned to it. Still, H6 could be more classic than H5 or H4. Also, to be honest, I wouldn't despise a Halo 6 that is just a well-implemented H5. More and better maps, better servers, better weapon design etc.

Also, how would you guys about Halo having a 1 year cycle like CoD, traded between 3 developers so we could keep the same 3 dev cycle? Would this help keep the community? The games could be more different from each other and react to trends faster (I want Halo to set trends again though). Or it could make the games become even more soulless than they already are due to 343s mistakes.

Everytime I run custom games in the browser, I bump up the BMS, and tone down sprint so that it matches BMS. I also bump up jump height and gravity.

The maps are fully navigable without sprint and clamber, but i leave SAs on so that people can get accustomed to the change.

Everyone seems to love it and I can run games until the game inevitably crashes.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I love your insight based on your map development. It really is great to see some of the reasoning behind things like that. However, they're still on track for their 3-year development cycle, they just haven't shown any early gameplay like usual. Don't forget, three year development cycle puts release in 2018 from a 2015 release of Halo 5.

EDIT: shit-tier double post, my bad boys.

Nah it won't be out in 2018. This is based on 1: the fact that they were looking to hire a lead campaign designer, a writer, a multiplayer design lead, an mp level design lead (hellooo), among other very, very vital positions less than a year from the 3 year launch date.

And 2: the things that they straight up told me when I was on the phone with them interviewing. Pretty much confirmed they were still trying to figure everything out. Honestly I never signed an NDA with them so I could probably just say here if I really wanted to be an ass (I won't). Like I've said before, I'd wager they're closer to a 5 year cycle than 3. It won't be less than 4 though.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'd be interested to see the settings MLG would release for H5. Just to know what they would be if it ever did happen.

Still catching up to the last 10ish pages, but wanted to ask a question about this. Want an honest answer. Are these hoodies thick, or thin? My wife bought me a Dr Disrespect hoodie a few months ago (queue the drama) and it is so thin that I don't enjoy it, because it doesn't keep me warm and isn't as comfortable. 

Somewhere in the middle, I find mine to be warm personally. 

A couple things.

The neighbor thing depresses me a lot actually. I hope that hashtag didn't have all the meaning we assigned to it. Still, H6 could be more classic than H5 or H4. Also, to be honest, I wouldn't despise a Halo 6 that is just a well-implemented H5. More and better maps, better servers, better weapon design etc. 

I don't think you can have good settings with spartan abilities enabled. You can only get as far as not horrible.

Regardless of whether or not the settings are decent this time around or not it is bad idea  to let the developer have complete control over the settings, as they by their very nature will have invested interests in ensuring some weapons, modes or maps make it through the selection process, competitive viability be dammed as they have an invested interest in those as they created them.

It should be left to an independent non biased third party TO, to make the most competitive viable settings.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I don't think Neighbour would leave a 100k+ (I assume) a year stable position just because he doesn't agree with 343. You guys are reading too much into that tweet, calm down.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't think Neighbour would leave a 100k+ (I assume) a year stable position just because he doesn't agree with 343. You guys are reading too much into that tweet, calm down.