CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Yeah I got out-played, because that person plays the game more than me. And yeah I deserve that death in Halo. A game should be about more than play time. It should be about intelligence and positioning. Playing smart should be more important than how much time a person has spent on a game, in my opinion.

You honestly have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah I got out-played, because that person plays the game more than me.  And yeah I deserve that death in Halo.  A game should be about more than play time.  It should be about intelligence and positioning.  Playing smart should be more important than how much time a person has spent on a game, in my opinion.

Halo rewards positional gameplay, what are you smoking? Halo rewards you for making smart plays, but an individual skill gap can beat a smart play.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Literally every FPS ever made is about positioning on a fundamental level. CoD just emphasizes it more than most on the surface because there is basically nothing else to it. That doesn't make it some immensely cerebral game. lmfao.

I gave you a perfect example of why positioning isn't as important in Halo.  Call of Duty is much more about anticipating the movements of your opponents.  And that makes a world of a difference in a video game.  

• Downvote (-1) 3

I can't speak for the functionality of the ranked playlist, but the viewership, personality popularity and concurrent playerbase speak for themselves. Whilst you don't like the game or like watching it, a shitload of people do. It's a successful and good competitive game because it has an active, energized and growing player base.

Yes I understand that and never said otherwise. The only thing I said was that Cod is a notoriously low skill game.

It makes sense that Halo 5 would have a higher skill gap than this particular CoD simply because of the different spartan abilities and how they can compliment a player's map movement/positioning, which is a big factor in overall skill.

More moving pieces/factors there are to H5 movement mechanics means more opportunities for skilled players to further distance themselves from the pack. 

For example:

• thrust sliding
  • spring jumps
  • stabilizing jumps
  • spartan charging off walls (car1 to car3 on regret)
  • holding ground pounds/thrusting to avoid falling to a certain position

These are all mechanics that give players like Shotzzy a huge leg up against a casual player. I'm not huge into CoD, but it seems like with boots on the ground, there are only so many things (movement wise) you can do to gain an advantage.

Btw this is not an argument for Halo 5's spartan abilities, just an observation. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Halo rewards positional gameplay, what are you smoking? Halo rewards you for making smart plays, but an individual skill gap can beat a smart play.

Yeah Halo rewards positional gameplay, but not as much as Call of Duty.  If the kill times are faster, getting first shot is even more important, so positioning is pivotal. Simple concept....

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 13

Yeah Halo rewards positional gameplay, but not as much as Call of Duty.  If the kill times are faster, getting first shot is even more important, so positioning is pivotal. Simple concept....

I don't think you get it. CoD rewards positional gameplay above all. Halo doesn't. You can out position someone in Halo and they can put you on your ass with less play time than you. Who sees who first is for twitch shooters that want to be fast by making kills easy.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The only thing this means is that the ability to execute on a positional advantage in CoD is less important than in Halo. If you want to take this to mean that positioning takes up a higher proportion of the "total skill gap" in CoD than in Halo, go ahead. Maybe you'd like to say that positional gameplay is more "important" in CoD than Halo because of this. Go ahead.

But you can't say positioning in CoD is harder than in Halo because of this.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Honestly I love this CoD vs Halo talk, makes me feel like I'm back in the good old days.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I gave you a perfect example of why positioning isn't as important in Halo.  Call of Duty is much more about anticipating the movements of your opponents.  And that makes a world of a difference in a video game.  

You really didn't. You have to have good positioning AND competent mechanics to get the kill. So, yeah, CoD "more" about that in that you do practically nothing else in CoD. It's more about that in that it is the vast majority of the skill in CoD, but that doesn't mean that positioning isn't equally important in Halo. It just means that you have to actually be able to EXECUTE from a positional advantage instead of being all but guaranteed a kill because you happened to be facing the right direction at that particular moment.

Basically, what you're describing is the fact that CoD is simpler and easier and therefore you are more able to pick up and play and do well without as much practice. Which is pretty much completely consistent with what I have been saying.

And to be clear, I think Halo could use faster kill times, but almost completely removing gun skill doesn't make a game more cerebral. It just makes it easier. Fast kill times dependent on gun skill are a much better option for fostering meaningful competition.

Exhibit A: Halo CE.

Exhibit B: Counter-Strike.

• Upvote (+1) 3

arT4Xwy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're not even a real mod. You're just someone with a colored name whose purpose is to go around and act like a deterrent. But this entire forum, and even yourself deep-down, know you're a fraud.

My screen btw:

jF1lrOD.png

Holy shit 14 warning points

When exactly did this become a popularity contest? We're talking about the gameplay and its competitive merits. 

It became a popularity contest because the merits of CoD are obviously more than Halo's, otherwise Halo would be having the sold out LAN. You can argue as much as you like that Halo 5 is a superior game in every way to CoD:WW2 and I would probably agree with every point. Halo 5 takes more skill, even CoD pro's have said so. 

But it doesn't matter because CoD has a growing playerbase whereas Halo has a declining playerbase. This fact means that CoD has merits that outweigh any of the merits that Halo 5 has or Halo 5 would be king of the console esports. CoD has fostered a community around it's merits, Halo changes it's merits with every release.

You say we're talking about it's competitive merits? Halo 5 professional players don't even stream the game because it's not enjoyable. CoD Pros stream full time and make a killing from YouTube. If no-one plays the game and no-one watches the game whilst it's competition flies ahead, any argument about it's "competitive merits" becomes null and void.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Holy shit 14 warning points

I guess they looked past my rough and patchy exterior and saw me for the firm yet fair and honest leader this website desperately needed. What can I say?

• Upvote (+1) 3

Merits of Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds and Discussion‏ Thread.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Honestly I love this CoD vs Halo talk, makes me feel like I'm back in the good old days.

Except now the good guys (Halo) are losing, losing bad.

So the jist of your argument is that it’s not right for shooting skill to determine the outcome of shootouts in a shooter?

I think i’ve heard it all at this point.

Yeah that reminded me a lot of the "my play style isn't big on accuracy" guy from reddit.

CoD is like a video game version of that Jason Statham movie, Crank. That is not a reflection of what MLG does with it. What MLG can do for a game that is built from the ground up for casual players is exactly the reason why people are so excited at the prospect of them coming back to Halo. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm glad that when I watch hockey, I don't have to worry about baseball fans telling me their sport is harder constantly.

I hate to tell this to you guys, but Counterstrike players laugh at Halo for being too easy, Quake players laugh at Halo for being too easy. Starcraft, League of Legends, Killer Instinct, pretty much everyone except for Call of Duty players make fun of Halo for being too easy.

And for all of the people laughing at Halo for being too easy, you have various sports stars laughing at esports as a whole for being too easy. While I appreciate a difficult game, I wouldn't be lording over Call of Duty thinking you're so special. I think Halo and Call of Duty are harder than what people give it credit for.

Personally, I find "instant encounters" not as fun to watch so I don't enjoy Call of Duty or Counterstrike as much as Halo or Quake, but when you have MLG qualtiy highlighting why the game is special you can still learn to enjoy it.

Anyway, I'm going to go enjoy loser's finals of the Call of Duty tournament, thought I'd write out my two cents though quickly.

• Upvote (+1) 1

The thing about Call of Duty is that it is an intelligence based shooter that rewards the smarter player.  Halo is a muscle memory shooter that rewards the player who has put in more play time.  Since the kill times are shorter in Call of Duty, success is determined by superior positioning and predicting the movements of your opponent because you need to get the first shot off.  Halo with its slower kill times (that have gotten even slower) is about who can sustain their shots over a longer period of time, which comes down to muscle memory, which comes down to who plays the game more.  In Halo someone can pull off a perfect flank and predict their enemy's movement, get three shots up on them and they can just get turned on and destroyed.  

If I come up against a level 150 in Halo 5 I am going to get beat.  I don't stand a chance.  They have played more and can shoot way better than me.  I could play the smartest game of my life and it won't matter because I can't match their shooting.  In my opinion, that is not right and that is not the kind of game I want to play.  In Call of Duty if I come up against a full party of prestige masters, I can still beat them even though they have played the game five times as much as I have.  All I have to do is outsmart them.  

I started to respond but I realized I couldn't, I could not address how many incorrect things were said in these two paragraphs. I am appalled. I have never seen a post like this.

• Upvote (+1) 2