CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Yes, Bungie is notoriously closed off and a bunch of hipster nerds that wont do anything that doesn't fit their strange culture and ideology and benefit the Bungie hive mind(See my post on the previous page about MLG and look at events like the Marty debacle). But they are talented and have "earned" the right to do their own thing.

Whereas 343 is much more open(alot of it is fluff and nothing substantial but still), has attempted to grow Halo as an e-sport, seems to be more receptive to community feedback overall, includes community members in their own studio, but lacks the creativity and talent of peak Bungie. They always seem to be "chasing" success by copying popular ideas in other games rather than "creating" success by doing their own thing and blazing their own path like Bungie has always done. If you combine the strengths of Bungie and 343 you would have a great one in theory lol.

The precise problem is that 343 is trying to "blaze their own path". It's just not a good one.

343 came into the franchise with the goal of "blazing their own path", when, if you ask me, their goal should have been to create a game that would be popular with the fanbase. It's not as if they came in blind. Reach was a perfect example of what not to do.

But hey, it's their game. If they still feel like blazing their failed path, I can't stop them. But you would think that a business would be interested in growing an audience and increasing sales.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They have only been listing to feedback since Thanksgiving. This explains everything. Should have started listing in 2012. 

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Gears, 300k open, MLG, Optic playing, 8k viewers. Hmm.

Saturday, that's only Twitch numbers, there's also Mixer and MLG.tv numbers, Hmm.

Also the production has been Tier 1. Short down-times, jumping into off-stream matches. No tech issues. Has a Bravo stream.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 1 and 2 were extremely easy to transition into competitive gameplay. Flip a switch or two in the menus for your starting weapon and radar off, and you were good to go. The map pools didn't have the best focus on pure competitive arenas but they still got the job done.

Halo 3 started the downward spiral of Halo offering too many different experiences that were supported by the developer, but it had the population to thrive and embrace those philosophies. It didn't help that MLG gutted the settings a little too hard and began the stigmatization of competitive Halo players.

After Reach, the developer(s) continued to try to support all those different niches but as the development resources and population numbers dwindled, its just becoming harder and harder to satisfy all those groups and unique experiences.

The developers need to stick to one vision (i.e. Arena & Warzone) that they can continually sustain EQUALLY (matchmaking) and then offer the community the necessary tools if they want to take the game in other creative directions (custom game browser/file browser).

• Upvote (+1) 6

Saturday, that's only Twitch numbers, there's also Mixer and MLG.tv numbers, Hmm.

Also the production has been Tier 1. Short down-times, jumping into off-stream matches. No tech issues. Has a Bravo stream.

Haven't checked MLG TV, doubt Mixer will have a lot. Still it's 300k open with Optic on stream. Would expect much more. Especially with top tier stream. Right ?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Haven't checked MLG TV, doubt Mixer will have a lot. Still it's 300k open with Optic on stream. Would expect much more. Especially with top tier stream. Right ?

It's still Gears of War. Despite everything; it's still not as popular as Halo. And probably never will be.

This is not the fault of MLG though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's still Gears of War. Despite everything; it's still not as popular as Halo. And probably never will be.

This is not the fault of MLG though.

Not saying it's fault of MLG. Just comparing. It's another Xbox exclusive, they have great To, obviously better dev support, better communication with community, better promoting and yet low numbers. And I am here thinking how would Halo do with that kind support and To.

Not saying it's fault of MLG. Just comparing. It's another Xbox exclusive, they have great To, obviously better dev support, better communication with community, better promoting and yet low numbers. And I am here thinking how would Halo do with that kind support and To.

I mean, think about what would Gears viewership be at if they didnt have MLG and a Developer that listens and great production quality.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I mean, think about what would Gears viewership would be at if they didnt have MLG and a Developer that listens and great production quality.

Yeah, i can see it from that point of view.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd love to do a video or podcast-type of deal with @@Saucey and @@FrankTheShow. I'll just sit there and listen to them discuss the topics and maybe throw in my two-cents once in a while. Seeing both of your content on this situation has been great and I think there needs to be some more. Let me know if you guys want to set this up and we can try and list out some talking points and questions and stuff like that. Great job @@Saucey , really enjoyed it. I was beyond disappointed with the Greenskull video. 

Halo 1 and 2 were extremely easy to transition into competitive gameplay. Flip a switch or two in the menus for your starting weapon and radar off, and you were good to go. The map pools didn't have the best focus on pure competitive arenas but they still got the job done.

Halo 3 started the downward spiral of Halo offering too many different experiences that were supported by the developer, but it had the population to thrive and embrace those philosophies. It didn't help that MLG gutted the settings a little too hard and began the stigmatization of competitive Halo players.

After Reach, the developer(s) continued to try to support all those different niches but as the development resources and population numbers dwindled, its just becoming harder and harder to satisfy all those groups and unique experiences.

The developers need to stick to one vision (i.e. Arena & Warzone) that they can continually sustain EQUALLY (matchmaking) and then offer the community the necessary tools if they want to take the game in other creative directions (custom game browser/file browser).

Other than griffball (maybe multi team?) and the goofy custom games like jenga I'm pretty sure everything else started in H2. H2 had the goofy stuff too like Zombies/tower of power. SWAT, snipers, 1v1, 2v2, 4v4, objective playlists, team training, clanmatchs, slayer, hardcore, FFA, BTB were all apart of H2. Idk the bottom line from what I can tell is if you have a very popular game you can afford to play to the niches and support them but if nobody is playing the game you're better off with as few options as possible so that everyone can actually play the game. In this situation that's destructive to the Halo community because due to H2 and H3 there is an expectation to have all of the above so 343's population has to be strong or they're caught in a situation where they have disappointed players leave due to not having their playlist available anymore or disappointed players leave because they can't get quality matches.

Tl;dr - if 343 makes a good game none of this is a problem

Gears is like the cult classic of esports. A lot of people are turned off by the viewing or just dont know its out there to watch, but the fans and pros turn out to the events and support it. Its awesome that mlg delivers the same amount of passion and quality streams to what a smaller scene that they do with cod.

I dont have expectations that mlg will instantly make halo a 60k viewer esport but they could stabalize the scene, bring orgs back in, and give fans the type of product we've been dying to see

• Upvote (+1) 4

/ourguy/

lmao what a savage

I'd like to reiterate that I agree with the message T2 was trying to get across but the way he delivered it was way over the top and is going to make our outcry look pretty bad.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Gears is like the cult classic of esports. A lot of people are turned off by the viewing or just dont know its out there to watch, but the fans and pros turn out to the events and support it. Its awesome that mlg delivers the same amount of passion and quality streams to what a smaller scene that they do with cod.

I dont have expectations that mlg will instantly make halo a 60k viewer esport but they could stabalize the scene, bring orgs back in, and give fans the type of product we've been dying to see

UT4 better tho  :D

I'd like to reiterate that I agree with the message T2 was trying to get across but the way he delivered it was way over the top and is going to make our outcry look pretty bad.

yea, I actually don't agree at all. I think both aspects of halo could/should (and hopefully still can) live in the same ecosystem as It has been proven in Halo games before, with different settings and playlists. Not with universal settings u dumb fucking ******* at 343. Holy shit, Universal settings is a wacky cool idea you think at the office just before u clock off at 5pm, not something you put on in million dollar tournaments and competitive playlists.

(that's a kinda thorin quote)

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

/rant

Well, if 343 wasn't thinking about adding a SAW on truth, they certainly are now. Thanks a lot.

• Upvote (+1) 1

still locking in the final pieces

This has all the potential of being exactly what we're all thinking about.

• Upvote (+1) 4