CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Yes. And the settings were at the very heart of this.

The settings improved. We got we wanted. People knew they had to show up and show that if good, halo gameplay was provided people would support it.

Which they did.

Do you attribute the participation increase to be solely because the settings were improved?

Or do you think the fact that it was potentially the last MLG tournament, and was held in Columbus had some bearing?

• Upvote (+1) 6

It is interesting that except for outliers like the 2012 MLG event in H4, H5 has had more teams show up than H2:A, H4, and H1. AND our last two events have been the biggest in H5, despite the drop in population caused by the games age. 

unfortunately i don't expect this upwards trend to continue for the rest of H5  :(

i wish i had a dollar for every halo AM i see making the switch to WWII

• Upvote (+1) 2

IMO Halo 5 right now cant be the main game at a tournament especially if it goes with MLG (not yet at least).

Assuming MLG picks up Halo again, It needs to be the 2nd tier game beside COD/Overwatch at open events unless its Worlds or Season finals. What MLG brings to the table is good marketing, hype, and overall a top notch production. I found myself watching a lot of COD events this past year, and asking myself, why the fuck am I watching COD, the game play looks like trash. But MLG does a great job building story lines, and hype for matches along with great commentary (I like the casters Halo has now though).

Halo being at events with COD or OW would make other fans attending possibly stop by and watch a game or two, either from nostalgia or curiosity, which then makes them come back to watching Halo due to how good it actually is. 

TL:DR bring back MLG

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

unfortunately i don't expect this upwards trend to continue for the rest of H5  :(

i wish i had a dollar for every halo AM i see making the switch to WWII

I think a lot will switch back, especially if MLG comes to Halo. the people that switch games every day aren't going to be super loyal to CoD anyway. 

Our best hope. MLG for the rest of H5. Events all summer to keep the scene alive even if they are standalone events, then H6 be a decent-full content-game, with another 2019 Worlds announced, once again, under MLG. If we have open events all the way until H6 releases (hopefully, next fall), I think we can survive. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Searching for the legendary "Halo" chant from the crowd at Cbus 12 I found this instead! One of the greatest individual performances during a comeback I've ever witnessed on LAN. Who is this LiL Talent character you might ask? Most of you might know but it is Cntra. The  Reach 1v1 King.

What were pro opinions on playing Damnation 4v4? As nice as the map looks visually I can't see this or prisoner working well or even being 1/10th of the fun of CE. I know they added a couple of things to each map to make them play better but I never watched 4v4 on Damny in Reach and it does not look like something I would want.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think a lot will switch back, especially if MLG comes to Halo. the people that switch games every day aren't going to be super loyal to CoD anyway. 

I don't see anyone switching back to H5. CoD WWII appears to be a far superior game.

• Upvote (+1) 2

What were pro opinions on playing Damnation 4v4? As nice as the map looks visually I can't see this or prisoner working well or even being 1/10th of the fun of CE. I know they added a couple of things to each map to make them play better but I never watched 4v4 on Damny in Reach and it does not look like something I would want.

It sucked. I think it was vetoed every single time except for this series.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Searching for the legendary "Halo" chant from the crowd at Cbus 12 I found this instead! One of the greatest individual performances during a comeback I've ever witnessed on LAN. Who is this LiL Talent character you might ask? Most of you might know but it is Cntra. The  Reach 1v1 King.

I think Halo Reach looks so good. I like the art style. I think DMR fights were super fun too. 

IMO Halo 5 right now cant be the main game at a tournament especially if it goes with MLG (not yet at least).

Assuming MLG picks up Halo again, It needs to be the 2nd tier game beside COD/Overwatch at open events unless its Worlds or Season finals. What MLG brings to the table is good marketing, hype, and overall a top notch production. I found myself watching a lot of COD events this past year, and asking myself, why the fuck am I watching COD, the game play looks like trash. But MLG does a great job building story lines, and hype for matches along with great commentary (I like the casters Halo has now though).

Halo being at events with COD or OW would make other fans attending possibly stop by and watch a game or two, either from nostalgia or curiosity, which then makes them come back to watching Halo due to how good it actually is. 

TL:DR bring back MLG

This. This is basically what was happening in Denver and Atlanta. Combines are a must for Halo.

H5 had a host of failures right away. It launched without full content, no forge, no btb, bad settings, etc. It also had no official open events for over a year. Imagine if we could have gotten even a fraction of those 700 teams that played online for the first Worlds 2016 to come to an event. Also we didn't get decent settings over a year. Other mistake I saw H5 make was push all its content updates out the first year instead of dispersing it throughout H5's life. And the new maps all sucked.

Good news for H5: If MLG comes back, nostalgia alone could boost team numbers and viewers and the production would help keep people interested. Hopefully, Oddballl is good and people like it, adding a new game mode will keep the game from getting more boring. I also want to see good forge maps be implemented. The LAN feature is also good for the grass-roots competitive scene. 

Good news for H6: If it avoids these pitfalls and is a good game, with LAN and splitscreen, open events in the first few months, MLG, full content at release with more updates later. We could have an awesome future. 

PLEASE 343, DONT BE STUPID.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Do you attribute the participation increase to be solely because the settings were improved?

Or do you think the fact that it was potentially the last MLG tournament, and was held in Columbus had some bearing?

Solely? No, obviously not.

Mainly? Yes.

Lets not forget that the switch to ZBNS also instantly increased the MLG playlist population by 5-10x.

I don't see anyone switching back to H5. CoD WWII appears to be a far superior game.

The AM scene is stupid dude. They all bandwaggon and follow hype. Also once they realize they aren't good at CoD, back to Halo they go, if Halo looks like it has hope. MLG, and H6 announcements could help a lot. But alas 343 is so slow they let everthing die

• Upvote (+1) 3

Lets not forget that the switch to ZBNS also instantly increased the MLG playlist population by 5-10x.

Bruh, the MLG playlist in Reach is the equivalent to playing the social playlists on MCC right now.

Searching for the legendary "Halo" chant from the crowd at Cbus 12 I found this instead! One of the greatest individual performances during a comeback I've ever witnessed on LAN. Who is this LiL Talent character you might ask? Most of you might know but it is Cntra. The Reach 1v1 King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eqvKTyMtDM

Even back then he had his little OCD ticks.

Guys, zooming in randomly fixes heavy aim!

• Downvote (-1) 4

Bruh, the MLG playlist in Reach is the equivalent to playing the social playlists on MCC right now.

And?

It sucked. I think it was vetoed every single time except for this series.

I could see why. What maps/gametypes from H1 anniversary ended up working in competitive reach? I get that Reach was the most popular at that time, and that it was being supported and stuff but it amazes me how the majority of Halo pros haven't touched and have no desire to touch Halo CE, but this was something willingly looked forward to and played. I wonder if any of that is attributed to how anniversary played.

/mini rant.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think it's naive to think settings and game mechanics don't have a MAJOR impact on the health of an e-sport. To be honest I have barley watched ANY competitive H5. I've caught some brief matches here and there. It just doesn't interest me. Why? Because playing it competitively doesn't interest me. Why? Because I loath H5's settings. Back when I used to take Halo seriously and play competitively (Halo Jaun, 2, 3, and Reach V7), I enjoyed the settings and I would watch ENTIRE events religiously. 

It's pretty sound logic that the more people playing and interested in a game, the healthier that games' e-sport scene will be.

The way I see it: Halo's downfall in population directly corresponds to the settings and mechanics straying further and further away.   

• Upvote (+1) 2

It's all a cycle man, and people look to settings as a way to attempt to solve issues created and perpetuated by a lackluster development. 

Imagine if before each event, or each season, so every four months, an actual new, not remixed, competitive map was added to the Halo Championship Series map pool. Complex settings are never a way to revitalize a game, I've never seen it occur, I doubt it ever will. Major League Gaming made tweaks to minor settings to give the competitive nature of the Halo titles an edge, and it was always to chase the original Halo: Combat Evolved feel, but each experience still felt unique. Bloom in Reach, while I didn't hate it from a casual perspective, did not foster a true competitive experience, and the only reason a No Bloom No Sprint settings change saw a boost in attendance was a perfect storm of Halo being on the decline, a Columbus event, a Major League Gaming social media campaign to revitalize the scene, and a hope that if attendance was good, we would see more Major League Gaming Halo events. 

Add into that the fact that No Bloom No Sprint was one of the only times the community was nearly unanimous in their voice for a settings change. 

Sprint will mostly likely not go away, but removing sprint would not suddenly put Halo on par with other successful esports, nor would it bolster an increase in forty plus teams. Halo esports and 343 Industries missed the window with Halo 5, all they can do now is attempt to retain what interest they have and hope that their missteps are not repeated upon the launch of their next title. 

Who are you and what did you do with Frank?

:kappa:

But seriously, there were way too many variables at the time to pin the rise in attendance on any one thing.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I think it's naive to think settings and game mechanics don't have a MAJOR impact on the health of an e-sport. To be honest I have barley watched ANY competitive H5. I've caught some brief matches here and there. It just doesn't interest me. Why? Because playing it competitively doesn't interest me. Why? Because I loath H5's settings. Back when I used to take Halo seriously and play competitively (Halo 2, 3, and Reach V7), I enjoyed the settings and I would watch ENTIRE events religiously. 

It's pretty sound logic that the more people playing and interested in a game, the healthier that games' e-sport scene will be. I believe Halo's downfall in population directly corresponds to the settings and mechanics straying further and further away.   

i think a major settings overhaul would have made a massive difference early in halo 5's lifecycle. at this point though? not so much. i doubt people are going to rebuy this game or an xbox because sprint was removed 2 years later. part of the success of nbns reach at mlg was the fact that mlg kept pumping out high quality tournaments, keeping a hundred teams interested and hit a huge marketing push to pull another hundred. we dont have that kind of retention or marketing reach in the competitive scene to hope for a revival like that

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think it's naive to think settings and game mechanics don't have a MAJOR impact on the health of an e-sport. To be honest I have barley watched ANY competitive H5. I've caught some brief matches here and there. It just doesn't interest me. Why? Because playing it competitively doesn't interest me. Why? Because I loath H5's settings. Back when I used to take Halo seriously and play competitively (Halo Jaun, 2, 3, and Reach V7), I enjoyed the settings and I would watch ENTIRE events religiously.

It's pretty sound logic that the more people playing and interested in a game, the healthier that games' e-sport scene will be.

The way I see it: Halo's downfall in population directly corresponds to the settings and mechanics straying further and further away.

I dont think anyone is disputing that but having a decent structure with well run open events can do alot as well.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

i think a major settings overhaul would have made a massive difference early in halo 5's lifecycle. at this point though? not so much. i doubt people are going to rebuy this game or an xbox because sprint was removed 2 years later. part of the success of nbns reach at mlg was the fact that mlg kept pumping out high quality tournaments, keeping a hundred teams interested and hit a huge marketing push to pull another hundred. we dont have that kind of retention or marketing reach in the competitive scene to hope for a revival like that

Oh yea the boat has set sail on the five.  But they could do a "boots on the ground" type Classic Halo 6 and I think it could help the overall retention of interest in Halo.  If they did it right at least.  It's also going to help with 6 being on PC. An entire group of untapped interest. 

• Upvote (+1) 1