CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I think that 343 sees this game as a success (and the fact they panda to the 'casual' side of the debate), is the sheer bucket loads of money they have probably made through Warzone. Every other playlist on this game seems dead, yet warzone keeps on rolling on, and I bet they have made significant money from req packs. It makes the game seem like a success to them, but to most 'halo' fans, it seems like a failure. Therein lies the disconnect between 343 and most of the community

NBVkCZf.png

(sorted by online multiplayer pop)

:stressed:

Catching up on the thread, apologies if this has been pointed out. This isn't ranked by "online multiplayer population", but rather by most played xbox games that have a multiplayer component.

Still, it's not a good look.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Catching up on the thread, apologies if this has been pointed out. This isn't ranked by "online multiplayer population", but rather by most played xbox games that have a multiplayer component.

Still, it's not a good look.

ah i see, now i understand what it means by "number of players" lol

yM1TK4x.png

did we ever figure out how this list works? i think it has something to do with how often a game is launched

Why do you post stuff like "reminder GOW or other esport is doing great" or "it sucks we don't have this ___" numerous, numerous times (while at the same time saying you're numb to Halo's current state)

...but then when someone posts something negative about another esport or w/e you say this?

It was a statement dude, we know Halo's trash right now and even if we were trying to feel better what's wrong with that?

I just post whatevers going on, I just think it's lame to cherry pick other game issues to make our current situation seem better. Every video game is going to have issues, ours seems to be more than others.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 2

Man, I rushed home, hopped on H5, and got pumped for the FFA. Feels bad. Hope to get in the next one. Are all the spots filled for the 2v2?

BTW, to chime in on the population talk, I've been matching the same players for days now in the HCS playlist. That's anecdotal, but still...

Man, I rushed home, hopped on H5, and got pumped for the FFA. Feels bad. Hope to get in the next one. Are all the spots filled for the 2v2?

BTW, to chime in on the population talk, I've been matching the same players for days now in the HCS playlist. That's anecdotal, but still...

Sorry about that, and yea all of the 2v2 spots just filled up in the last hour or so. Spots may free up day of tournament too if you're interested.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sorry about that, and yea all of the 2v2 spots just filled up in the last hour or so. Spots may free up day of tournament too if you're interested.

Sweet! Yea, I'm definitely interested. Do you hold a 2v2 every month?

Doesn't take a phd or even average intelligence to figure out that H5's population is absolute dogshit. It has all the signs of a dead game:

• Many playlists completely unplayable due to search times. I'm not from NA, but this has never been a problem in past Halo games
  • Completely lopsided matches all the time. Sure this has to do with the weak MM and the smurfing epidemic, but I can literally play hours on end without a decently balanced match
  • Terrible hit registration and high pings. Again this is amplified by the game itself, but I die more around corners in one game of H5 that I did in H2, 3 and Reach combined. Sure H3 had people rubberbanding, but they were never teleporting around the map like the do in H5.

My experience with H5 is very similar to games like DOOM (a game that peaks at around 2500 daily players) and old ass games like CoD4 PC, H3 and Reach.

This is why 343's claim of "best player retention since H3" baffles me so much. It's either a flat out lie or a clever spin on the data by doing shit like:

• not looking at absolute numbers, but relative percentages. 20k daily players would have been abysmal in H3/Reach, but if you don't even sell half as many copies as these games it's easier to retain a given percentage of players.
  • including people who log in once a week for their free REQ pack and never actually play the game.

You can't use absolute numbers (totalities) to compare data. That leads to a lot of biases and relationships appear that aren't really there. Whenever you're making a comparison, you should be using a rate of some kind, like a percentage. 

A reminder that Gears has less funding than Halo.

I think they have more now actually there prize pool total for S2 is 2 million while I think we top out at like 1.5m ish though we could also attribute this due to 343 being cheap.

But still it's not a good look that Gears is able to get secondary streams and increased prize pools at the same time while were not able to despite the constant demand for them. 

”For Halo 4, Holmes says there were a few epiphany moments that helped boost the morale of the team. One of the earlier ones that Holmes recalls was when the team completed a small piece of the Halo experience that he described as a "very traditional" Halo. User research showed that people thought it was a lot of fun, and it showed that the team was capable of making a Halo game that was true to what the series was about. 343 scrapped it, Holmes says, as it was too traditional. But that first build showed the new team that this amalgamation of different studio cultures could work together and achieve a common goal.”

343 is a joke. 

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I always like these blanket posts like it makes us feel better or something. This is the equivalent of your neighbor Porsche getting keyed, but you are happy your Honda Civic's bald tires haven't blown out yet.

i agree that its better to look to other games for things we want vs what they're doing wrong but i think its good to remember that as we call for new devs that it wont solve 100% of our issues and that no matter where halo goes we will be angry about something. it will be important to remember that when/if halo goes to someone new that we know that we should expect some issues and changes that we may not like but remember these past several years so that we dont let it happen again and also be appriciate of positive change

tfw it's december and you realize you made exactly 0 no nut november jokes

Q2M6Swk.png

I guess "nut" is slang for "TO announcement" around 343's parts.  :kappa:

• Upvote (+1) 5

i agree that its better to look to other games for things we want vs what they're doing wrong but i think its good to remember that as we call for new devs that it wont solve 100% of our issues and that no matter where halo goes we will be angry about something. it will be important to remember that when/if halo goes to someone new that we know that we should expect some issues and changes that we may not like but remember these past several years so that we dont let it happen again and also be appriciate of positive change

Halos got 99 problems and 343 is every last fucking one.

Sorry. reading the bolded i instantly thought about that song lmao

I mean theres nothing wrong with looking at what other games are doing, both good and bad. Try to see what you can/if you should incorporate some of the good and make sure you dont do the bad. Like im pretty sure every game in esports looks at Halo as what not to do.

I don't think theres anyone here whos unappreciative of the good man. This forum/community gets janked around with false hope a ton but are always so hyped and appreciative until its known to be false/a lie etc. Everytime. Expect maybe now, people dont even care anymore.

The difference is, with 343 its so few and far between anything good they do. Like they're in their own tier of failures and fucking up as a dev.

So my rarely used twitter with almost no followers got 700 votes. Imagine if the official halo twitter ran a poll and it was shared by the xbox twitter. I wonder what we'd learn...

• Upvote (+1) 8

”For Halo 4, Holmes says there were a few epiphany moments that helped boost the morale of the team. One of the earlier ones that Holmes recalls was when the team completed a small piece of the Halo experience that he described as a "very traditional" Halo. User research showed that people thought it was a lot of fun, and it showed that the team was capable of making a Halo game that was true to what the series was about. 343 scrapped it, Holmes says, as it was too traditional. But that first build showed the new team that this amalgamation of different studio cultures could work together and achieve a common goal.”

That is some next level fuckery.