CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Sit down, son, and let me tell you about a wonderful piece of technology called the "Personal Computer..."

:simms:

Lol, I have a moderately decent PC. I'm just one of those people who prefers playing on console, not to mention most of my friends are still on the Xbox as well. 

I'd honestly really like to see a complete reversion to exactly what we had in H3. After that they can move forward by improving and refining instead of removing and neglecting. Really it should've been like this from the start but if they want Halo to do better they need to actually make improvements rather than start from scratch and come back with less than we had. Their goal should be to simply match all systems, including ranking, and then improve them. The sad part about ranking systems is that what Halo 5 uses should be an improvement but its just not. It lacks player retention through progression because placements come so quickly and it also seems to be somewhat inaccurate. If it was as good as its supposed to be I probably wouldn't place D1, D4 and Plat 2 right out of placements on three different accounts within hours of each other. Maybe the population is so poor that the system can't be accurate because it can't provide even remotely consistent skill levels game after game

• Upvote (+1) 3

If h5 really has this low of population numbers, Josh Menke is actually a match making wizard for search times being even half decent

I love the guy for being able to work magic with the low pop, but god I wish we would consolidate the playlists. It's astonishing that they can justify 20+ playlists being this low on the Xbox charts.

• Upvote (+1) 8

I love the guy for being able to work magic with the low pop, but god I wish we would consolidate the playlists. It's astonishing that they can justify 20+ playlists being this low on the Xbox charts.

Would it be Josh's job to manage matchmaking playlists or would it be someone else entirely? I'm just really curious about the number of playlists, when we launched the game with only 6, plus weekend playlist, so.

The crazy thing is that when they added Social and all of the extra playlists, every one complained that there were too many and it was unsustainable. 343 assured us that this was a test period and that they would remove the excess playlists based on population. Since then, only Social Skirmish has been removed, and that was months and months later.

At a certain point you have to seriously consider the idea that 343 hates money and success.

I think its obvious the higher ups at 343 know they don't belong there and do all the bullshit they do to try to keep their position.

If h5 really has this low of population numbers, Josh Menke is actually a match making wizard for search times being even half decent

They are and he is. Accounting for the fact that H5's population is roughly estimated at 20-50k depending on the time/day. I obviously have no concrete or factual proof of these numbers but using basic deductive reasoning I think it is as close as we'll ever get. I based this info using the XBL most played list found here where Black Ops 2 and H5 are within 2-3 spots of each other usually and Black Ops 2 has an updating Players Online population count. The other day I checked this list and H5 was 3 spots above BO2. BO2 had a population of about 19k at that time. This leads me to believe H5 had roughly 25-35k (guestimate) players at the time the data was sampled and at a bare minimum at or above 20k. If I could get a player count for a game slightly above H5, we could get even more accurate. Of course this should not be news to anyone but still it's crazy that H5 can make it work with so many playlists and such a low population.

They are and he is. Accounting for the fact that H5's population is roughly estimated at 20-50k depending on the time/day. I obviously have no concrete or factual proof of these numbers but using basic deductive reasoning I think it is as close as we'll ever get. I based this info using the XBL most played list found here where Black Ops 2 and H5 are within 2-3 spots of each other usually and Black Ops 2 has an updating Players Online population count. The other day I checked this list and H5 was 3 spots above BO2. BO2 had a population of about 19k at that time. This leads me to believe H5 had roughly 25-35k (guestimate) players at the time the data was sampled and at a bare minimum at or above 20k. If I could get a player count for a game slightly above H5, we could get even more accurate. Of course this should not be news to anyone but still it's crazy that H5 can make it work with so many playlists and such a low population.

343 response to this would be

"xbox most played is not accurate"

you: but i also used other games in game population counters since h5 doesn't have one

343: other games in game population counters aren't accurate either. according to our data h5 is immensely popular and successful, heres some random as fuck and skewed data trying to convince you of this

• Upvote (+1) 3

343 response to this would be

"xbox most played is not accurate"

you: but i also used other games in game population counters since h5 doesn't have one

343: other games in game population counters aren't accurate either. according to our data h5 is immensely popular and successful, heres some random as fuck and skewed data trying to convince you of this

Most monthly active users since Halo 3 - 343

Granted I haven't played it, but I don't see Mercy Oddball play well at all. At least it's not Overgrowth I guess...

Question about Oddball since I don't play H5, but can you throw it like in 4?

Nah.  it goes about as far as the flag, maybe even a little shorter.

I honestly don't mind mercy oddball that much. I wish there were better sightlines into the hallways from top mid- maybe knock the inner walls down and leave pillars.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nah.  it goes about as far as the flag, maybe even a little shorter.

Oh thank god, I was worried. That was honestly the worst thing 343i added to Oddball in 4.

• Downvote (-1) 1

Doesn't take a phd or even average intelligence to figure out that H5's population is absolute dogshit. It has all the signs of a dead game:

• Many playlists completely unplayable due to search times. I'm not from NA, but this has never been a problem in past Halo games
  • Completely lopsided matches all the time. Sure this has to do with the weak MM and the smurfing epidemic, but I can literally play hours on end without a decently balanced match
  • Terrible hit registration and high pings. Again this is amplified by the game itself, but I die more around corners in one game of H5 that I did in H2, 3 and Reach combined. Sure H3 had people rubberbanding, but they were never teleporting around the map like the do in H5.

My experience with H5 is very similar to games like DOOM (a game that peaks at around 2500 daily players) and old ass games like CoD4 PC, H3 and Reach.

This is why 343's claim of "best player retention since H3" baffles me so much. It's either a flat out lie or a clever spin on the data by doing shit like:

• not looking at absolute numbers, but relative percentages. 20k daily players would have been abysmal in H3/Reach, but if you don't even sell half as many copies as these games it's easier to retain a given percentage of players.
  • including people who log in once a week for their free REQ pack and never actually play the game.
  • Upvote (+1) 1