CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Damage, Damage Per (Second/Minute), and Damage Per Death are all good stats I'd like to see more often.

I'd like to see a damage taken stat. Then you can really see who makes selfless plays more often. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Damage Taken would allow some other more interesting stats:

Damage Taken Per Death (how often they manage to get shields back over the course of their lives in a game...shows who's good at escaping and who just dies to straight challenges)

Damage Taken Per Minute (shows how often someone is seen by enemy players, basically)

Would also allow you to break down damage taken by each weapon, presumably, so you could see who's exposing themselves to Snipers/Rockets more often than other players.

Even just a Damage Taken From Power Weapons would be great

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'd like to see a damage taken stat. Then you can really see who makes selfless plays more often.

Or whho is out of position
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Or whho is out of position

I mean it's more about who is exerting pressure on the map. And the whole point of taken/death is to show who is really putting pressure and living. It's not really showing who is "out of position". What about someone that flanks out while his team dies? You can't look at a stat like that and gauge something like that in any way. Unless there is one clear outlier.

Damage Taken would allow some other more interesting stats:

Damage Taken Per Death (how often they manage to get shields back over the course of their lives in a game...shows who's good at escaping and who just dies to straight challenges)

Damage Taken Per Minute (shows how often someone is seen by enemy players, basically)

Would also allow you to break down damage taken by each weapon, presumably, so you could see who's exposing themselves to Snipers/Rockets more often than other players.

This is something that we have been requesting for the next Halo API along with power up pickups (you could even calculate which team get the burns the most).

• Upvote (+1) 7

Halo isn't on the top not because the events are not run by MLG. It's cause the last games H4, MCC, H5 haven't attracted enough mainstream attention. (and also are trash IMO) (but I also thought Reach was IMO trash but with 9.95 million units sold it's hard to say anything bout it)  If halo gets MLG the viewer numbers probably will go up slightly but not as much as we wish It would or as Halo "deserves". The game is clearly not good enough for most people now a days and if 343/Microsoft do nothing about it in future releases there's nothing MLG/ESL or anyone can do.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

People keep bringing this up, and it's true, but you are arguing against no one.

No one expects MLG to make Halo 5 a better video game. They expect MLG to make Halo 5 a more compelling esport for fans, competitors, investors etc.

Even if the game was better/popular, 343/ESLs handling of the esport for the last two years would have still had a negative impact.

It doesn’t help to dwell on things but I will always wonder what might have happened if MLG were allowed to propose a plan for the HCS instead of not even being given the option.

Either way we got Simms out of it so that dulls the pain.

It doesn’t help to dwell on things but I will always wonder what might have happened if MLG were allowed to propose a plan for the HCS instead of not even being given the option.

If that plan would have given MLG control, or at least constructive input over the settings I think the difference could be pretty significant. 

No doubt in my mind that a LAN circuit would have preserved interest much better than an online pro league structure.

After worlds 2016, they left a system that motived tons of players and orgs to participate. And in its place they put a system that was basically a "fuck you" to anyone outside of the top 8. It should have been obvious that this would lead to contraction.

There was a growth in participation in response to the transition back towards opens. If we had an open circuit format after Worlds 2016, the esport would have grown over the last two years, no doubt.

Edit: and this isn't even factoring in the improved settings and upcoming Local servers. Vanilla h5 could have been a more popular esport than what we have now, had MLG been involved.

I mean it's more about who is exerting pressure on the map. And the whole point of taken/death is to show who is really putting pressure and living. It's not really showing who is "out of position". What about someone that flanks out while his team dies? You can't look at a stat like that and gauge something like that in any way. Unless there is one clear outlier.

Of course you can. The stat, like damage, is dependent on context. Ninja was always high in damage, because he was so aggressive, but you couldnt win with him because he foolishly would push by himself and die so much. Then he would get mad becuse his teammates wouldnt finish a kill they had no chance of. Likewise, im sure someone with high deaths would also lead in dmg taken. The stat would be equally high for someone getting shit on, and someone who opens the map up.

Dmg/death is the best damage stat.

Falcated and Vator (not reliable) were talking hot trash to eachother as always and said something huge is on the horizon and they had to shut eachotehr up otherwise theyd let the news slip. Can't wait for the intel. 

edit: team changes

Halo isn't on the top not because the events are not run by MLG. It's cause the last games H4, MCC, H5 haven't attracted enough mainstream attention. (and also are trash IMO) (but I also thought Reach was IMO trash but with 9.95 million units sold it's hard to say anything bout it) If halo gets MLG the viewer numbers probably will go up slightly but not as much as we wish It would or as Halo "deserves". The game is clearly not good enough for most people now a days and if 343/Microsoft do nothing about it in future releases there's nothing MLG/ESL or anyone can do.

40k watched mlg dallas for h4. Even with shitty h4, people would have shown up. And more importantly, with halo, mlg doesnt put all their resources into CoD, which made it takeover halo as the console top ddog. Theres no way h2a wouldnt have been big, even with mcc trouble

Of course you can. The stat, like damage, is dependent on context. Ninja was always high in damage, because he was so aggressive, but you couldnt win with him because he foolishly would push by himself and die so much. Then he would get mad becuse his teammates wouldnt finish a kill they had no chance of. Likewise, im sure someone with high deaths would also lead in dmg taken. The stat would be equally high for someone getting shit on, and someone who opens the map up.

Dmg/death is the best damage stat.

Really, there ain't no best. It would be nice to have as many stats and as much data as possible, so that people can parse them as they see fit.

Someone damage/death could be high because they avoided confrontations and cherry picked kills. It could be low because teammates failed to keep him alive when they reasonably should have been expected to.

It's very easy to come to false assumptions about almost any stat. "Team X only gives up avg 50 rushing a game- they must have the #1 run defense" in reality, teams just don't run much against them because their pass defense is easily exploitable.

Really, I'd like to see some deeper stats, like survival rate per 1v1, time spent man down, etc

• Upvote (+1) 4

I would like to now transition from the shit jokes and cringey memes to the traditional baseless speculation

Thx

• Upvote (+1) 1

https://youtu.be/CT5uE8WsHY0?t=43s

idk if hecz is talking about this for his own thing or if it is for optic. but wouldn't this be the first Alcohol sponsor for an Esports team if it happened?  

EDIT: nvm it was just for him, which is cool. 

It will. The biggest time suck is that we have to shut the game down, load the new map + mode combo, and then relaunch the game from dashboard. With the local server app you're just running custom games like you normally would on Xbox Live, but the server you're connected to will be there with you.

Speaking of which, is an internet connection only going to be required for the server or will all Xboxes require a phone-home ping (ala MCC)?

Honestly the only good analyst desk ive seen was at MLG NA Regionals. After ever match, bang - 10 minute analysis of every game in the match. It was great.

So do we know when a TO will be announced or is "a couple weeks at most" all we know?

Im not sure if youre being serious about this question or just trying to wind us up

Halo isn't on the top not because the events are not run by MLG. It's cause the last games H4, MCC, H5 haven't attracted enough mainstream attention. (and also are trash IMO) (but I also thought Reach was IMO trash but with 9.95 million units sold it's hard to say anything bout it) If halo gets MLG the viewer numbers probably will go up slightly but not as much as we wish It would or as Halo "deserves". The game is clearly not good enough for most people now a days and if 343/Microsoft do nothing about it in future releases there's nothing MLG/ESL or anyone can do.

Wait a minute Reach sold 9.95 million units ?.

On topic: did we confirmed that MLG is a no go ?

It will. The biggest time suck is that we have to shut the game down, load the new map + mode combo, and then relaunch the game from dashboard. With the local server app you're just running custom games like you normally would on Xbox Live, but the server you're connected to will be there with you.

Just want to say, I'd be willing to bet many of us never knew this was an issue at all. It's been said a million times but more communication like this is crucial.

• Upvote (+1) 8

It would improve production

It would improve logistics

It would improve structure

When you say it didn't help reach, what TO are you comparing it to?

Whoever ran it after mlg bailed.

Not like the gamee was thriving under mlg either.