CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Have TeamLiquid officially left Halo yet or have they not announced it?

Team Liquid's announcement regarding the Halo roster is waiting on something else to resolve.  I'm unsure how long it will be at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I like Menke. I think his MM metrics make sense (though I feel like it’s way to late for his solutions)

But when it comes to analytics informing game design, they aren’t using the right metrics. I’m not sure if he’s involved in setting the metrics (and I don’t think he’s a gameplay designer) but no one is catching that they arent using the right ones.

How 343 measures maps:

343 believes that a map is ‘competitive’ if (1) Red and Blue have equal win rates and (2) higher skilled teams win more often than lower skilled ones. Neither of these have anything to do with how competitive a map is.

Their first metric actually measures fairness. Having equal win rates just means neither side has inherent advantage. Competitive maps should be fair. But fair maps aren’t neccisarily competitive. For perspective: A Coin flipping contest would be competitive by this metric.

Their second metric actually measures the influence of skilled elements. Higher skilled teams should always have an advantage because they are better at the game. Seeing that this advantage is typically converting into wins isn’t a sign of a highly competitive map. It’s just a sign that skill can usually overcome whatever non-competitive issues are present.

How they should be measuring maps:

They should be less interested in whether or not the expected team wins, and more interested in what skills need to be displayed in order to win.

If grenade proficiency is flat, regardless of skill level, then the maps is probably rewarding of grenade spam instead of skillful placement.

If grenade and Melee damage dominate the damage dealt, then those lesser skilled elements are overshadowing aim skill.

If many engagements aren’t ending in death, then there might be site line issues.

They need to examine heat maps to ensure that there aren’t impregnable positions or overly dominate strats.

They need to look at survival rates off spawn to see if spawns are too predictable for a team to recover.

Basically, there are a million different things that they need to measure to see if their maps are competitive. And if their maps were truly competitive, they wouldn’t even have to check the measurements they’ve been testing because those would automatically work themselves out.

They’ve got similar issues when gauging the sandbox. For example the BR:

Menke mentioned that the current BR isn’t less competitive because 1) is has similar spread to the BR in previous Halos, and those games were considered competitive and 2) better players are win the majority of their engagements with lesser skilled players.

The first one point is nonsense because in previous halo’s extreme measures were taken by TOs to mitigate the RNG Bungie added to precision weapons.

The second point runs into the same issue as their map metrics. the question isn’t whether or not skilled players will usually win. It’s whether or not skillful execution is THE determining factor. skill can help mitigate RNG, but it can’t eliminate its influence.

And regarding the magnum:

It’s been said that the magnum isn’t fit for competitive because, on paper, it now outclasses all the other rifles- as seen on the TTK and Range charts they published.

The problem is, the charts only detail how effectively these weapons CAN be used, not how effectively they ARE used in practice.

Their comparisons need to include, means and medians for killtimes and engagement ranges, in order to gauges how players are ACTUALLY using these weapons and to understand how skill effects usage. It would also be useful to break this down by skill divisions. Since the magnum isn’t included in the test, not only is the claim invalid, but they aren’t gathering the info needed to get the sandbox properly balanced around the magnums inclusion.

I know a lot of people are totally against analytical development ,but there’s literally nothing wrong with the concept. The problem arises when the incorrect data is used or data is used incorrectly, which is what is happening here.

This post deserved way more + rep than it got.You could not play halo at all and still understand what you're saying here.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

Tashi: "We think you'll be really excited for the 2018 season!"

343: *Adds Mercy and Overgrowth into HCS circuit*

Halo comunity: Unprecedented outrage causes HCS to be trending on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, President issues statement at White House, Aliens come to Earth, the Mammoths come back from the dead, message appears on the moon, the Great Pyramids turn into spaceships, 574 missed calls from mom.

343: "Given the metrics of social media interaction, which are completely irrelevant, we assume these maps are good for HCS! Have a nice day everyone!"

• Upvote (+1) 8

putersmash.gif

LOOOOOOL, wait why the fuck are you up its 4:14am, get some rest for a big day of frustration tomorrow!

Haven't been on here in a while because been busy. Which also means I haven't played too much Halo lately. But had to sign on just to say:

I have literally bought each generation of the xbox solely to play Halo. I once bought a baseball game that I played for a week and I bought Rocket League this year and played it about twice. But other than that I have only played Halo. Thousands and thousands of games even considering I gave up on Halo 4 and Reach really early on and just didn't play video games at all during that dark time. 

Until they changed the HCS playlist. They were heading in the right direction and then completely backtracked. I picked up Fortnite and have been playing that instead.

I am honestly considering switching to a PC and giving up on Halo instead of moving on to the new xbox and Halo 6. I never thought I would see the day. Even when everyone was bitching about how shitty Halo 5 was for competitive play with autos and radars I stuck through it. Thought that I had been rewarded when they finally got rid of autos and fixed the radar. The game was heading in the right direction

But now I'm regularly playing a game other than Halo for the first time in well over ten years and am considering scrapping console gaming all together despite never having played a game on a PC in my life.
  • Upvote (+1) 6

Lets play Hangman. I'll edit this post with the updated words. Send guesses to me via PM, and I'll mention your name and guess.

_ _ _ _   T H _   S T _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _

1) @@TryHardFan incorrectly guesses A         

2) @@Ramirez77 correctly guesses H

3) @Crameteam correctly guesses S

4) @@Scarecrow correctly guesses T

• Upvote (+1) 5

Haven't been on here in a while because been busy. Which also means I haven't played too much Halo lately. But had to sign on just to say:

I have literally bought each generation of the xbox solely to play Halo. I once bought a baseball game that I played for a week and I bought Rocket League this year and played it about twice. But other than that I have only played Halo. Thousands and thousands of games even considering I gave up on Halo 4 and Reach really early on and just didn't play video games at all during that dark time. 

Until they changed the HCS playlist. They were heading in the right direction and then completely backtracked. I picked up Fortnite and have been playing that instead.

I am honestly considering switching to a PC and giving up on Halo instead of moving on to the new xbox and Halo 6. I never thought I would see the day. Even when everyone was bitching about how shitty Halo 5 was for competitive play with autos and radars I stuck through it. Thought that I had been rewarded when they finally got rid of autos and fixed the radar. The game was heading in the right direction

But now I'm regularly playing a game other than Halo for the first time in well over ten years and am considering scrapping console gaming all together despite never having played a game on a PC in my life.

GET A PC!!!!

Honestly the best investment for an older gamer. Plus all the xbox exclusives will be on Windows 10 so its still a win-win situation not to mention games like GOW4 include crossplay. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lets play Hangman. I'll edit this post with the updated words. Send guesses to me via PM, and I'll mention your name and guess.

_ _ _ _   T H _   S T _ _ _   _ _ _ _ _

1) @@TryHardFan incorrectly guesses A         

2) @@Ramirez77 correctly guesses H

3) @Crameteam correctly guesses S

4) @@Scarecrow correctly guesses T

Do we only get one guess at a letter?