CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

This is such bullshit!!!!!!!

OVERWATCH IS JUST AS MANIPULATIVE AS BATTLEFRONT.

Every single game that has any similar scheme is just as manipulative.

It is beyond pale how people will A) Pretend it's only EA/SWBF doing this B) That any other model is okay because it "doesn't affect gameplay".

It's all manipulation. They want free PR for when people say "Oh by Ubisoft does it way better" or "Blizzard is doing it right, cosmetics only!" Then people drop money because they "want to support" them or because they need to because progression to what you want is so slow. You have people spending hundreds of dollars every event in OW to get every item.

Stop pretending it's only EA, Stop pretending other models are not as manipulative. You're just falling into the trap these corporations want you too.

OW is fine? You're free PR for blizzard.

well look at it this way: i can play overwatch and never open any loot box i earn nor buy a loot box and i will have the same experience as someone who has bought them all. you can't do the same in swbf2. if you try to just grind it out, your game will never be the same as someone who has purchased heroes. that isnt right for a game you already bought.

why do we give ow a pass? because they are upfront that these are cosmetic boxes with tiers of loot in them. or you could be cursed by rng and get the same item multiple times. it sucks but it's accepted because it is for the fun of cool outfits and sprays and that the money goes towards new maps and events. with swbf2, ea said fuck you and continue to pay me to play the game you thought you were buying

• Upvote (+1) 4

Cosmetic only lootboxes ARE manipulative. But they aren't nearly as manipulative as Consumable lootboxes.

The latter adds an additional cost to being successful at the game and/or using your preferred playstyle.

*edit because I was talking about it in general

One thing I hate so much is when people only focus on EA or SWBF.

OVERWATCH IS JUST AS MANIPULATIVE AS BATTLEFRONT. I wish people would empahsize that more.

It is beyond pale how people will A) Pretend it's only EA/SWBF doing this B) That any other model is okay because it "doesn't affect gameplay".

It's all manipulation. They want free PR for when people say "Oh by Ubisoft does it way better" or "Blizzard is doing it right, cosmetics only!" Then people drop money because they "want to support" them or because they need to because progression to what you want is so slow. You have people spending hundreds of dollars every event in OW to get every item.

Stop pretending it's only EA, Stop pretending other models are not as manipulative. You're just falling into the trap these corporations want you too.

OW is not fine? Do you even remember how bad the system was for an entire year, especially with duplicates? Why do you think they bloat it with so much junk you will never use? It's to get you to pay more money for the one thing you want.

Haven't spent a penny in OW since it came out.

Can still unlock almost everything cosmetic through the credits system (note nothing actually needs to be paid for apart from the few skins that are pre-orders / other game related).

Can play every part of the game without a gameplay deficit because i'm unwilling to pay.

They still continue to support the game in a huge way because people do want to purchase things - everything be free.

• Upvote (+1) 3

well look at it this way: i can play overwatch and never open any loot box i earn nor buy a loot box and i will have the same experience as someone who has bought them all. you can't do the same in swbf2. if you try to just grind it out, your game will never be the same as someone who has purchased heroes. that isnt right for a game you already bought.

why do we give ow a pass? because they are upfront that these are cosmetic boxes with tiers of loot in them. or you could be cursed by rng and get the same item multiple times. it sucks but it's accepted because it is for the fun of cool outfits and sprays and that the money goes towards new maps and events. with swbf2, ea said fuck you and continue to pay me to play the game you thought you were buying

still gambling

• Upvote (+1) 2

Cosmetic only lootboxes ARE manipulative. But they aren't nearly as manipulative as Consumable lootboxes.

The latter adds an additional cost to being successful at the game and/or using your preferred playstyle.

Cosmetic only lootboxes are not manipulative at all. People should look into things before they buy it. Nobodys fault other then their own.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

i forgot lootboxes exist because i've never bought one and they don't affect any of the games I play

(cs, rocket league, fortnite)

it costs money to make skins and cosmetic items, no one is putting a gun to your head and making you buy RNG boxes

if a game is p2w don't play it, simple

• Upvote (+1) 10
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Blizzard has cosmetic loot crates in all their games, which is fine, but there is a growing trending of making paid loot crates essentially required to play the game from other devs, which is disgusting. 

Ooof this reminds me...you member when Diablo 3 had the Real Money Auction House? Less RNG but literally p2w. Some people were making thousands or 10's of thousands.

Hearthstone is pretty much lootboxes. The price to keep up on that game is absurd. I just started this year so I've had to spend $400 to catch up with the meta decks and I don't even have close to all the cards.

*edit because I was talking about it in general

One thing I hate so much is when people only focus on EA or SWBF.

OVERWATCH IS JUST AS MANIPULATIVE AS BATTLEFRONT. I wish people would empahsize that more.

OW is not fine? Do you even remember how bad the system was for an entire year, especially with duplicates? Why do you think they bloat it with so much junk you will never use? It's to get you to pay more money for the one thing you want.

This this this. Just because it's not pay to win doesn't justify having manipulative RNG systems in almost every game coming out nowadays. Titanfall 2 is pretty much the only game released in the last five years that has handled DLC right. "It's only cosmetics brooo" is not an excuse and neither is "all the DLC is free" when games are launched in a barebones state like OW and H5.

Randomized boxes are obviously inherently manipulative, but so is every other reward system that has been standard practice in mainstream multiplayer games for years. I can't say I have much sympathy for anyone dumb enough to empty their back account for completely worthless virtual cosmetics.

Is it really gambling when you are guaranteed to get nothing of actual value 100% of the time? lol. Maybe they should change the animation to a flushing toilet, just to really drive home the interaction taking place. "Congratulations, Dumb-ass. Here's a skin!"

• Upvote (+1) 5

Hearthstone is pretty much lootboxes. The price to keep up on that game is absurd. I just started this year so I've had to spend $400 to catch up with the meta decks and I don't even have close to all the cards.

Are you being serious? Why would anyone actually do that? 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Are you being serious? Why would anyone actually do that?

what, spend $400? That's not shit to me but the fact that you're forced to spend that much to be competitive definitely falls into the discussion being had.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

i forgot lootboxes exist because i've never bought one and they don't affect any of the games I play

(cs, rocket league, fortnite)

it costs money to make skins and cosmetic items, no one is putting a gun to your head and making you buy RNG boxes

if a game is p2w don't play it, simple

What's funny is CS in anywhere near its current form probably wouldn't be a thing without the cosmetic lootboxes. Five years of almost constant development, content releases, gameplay patches, creating and improving features and they're still going. A community driven market works alongside the boxes themselves and yet they're still popular enough to warrant the release and further development of the game. 

Although CS not being brought up probably because of the age rating, the moral panic of K I D S  G A M B L I N G might actually run over and fuck a lot of games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lets not start a whole thing judging what other people do with their own money shall we?

• Upvote (+1) 9

Seeing all this backlash over lootboxes, the upcming net neutrality vote, and the HCS settings feels pretty damn good. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Lets not start a whole thing judging what other people do with their own money shall we?

Personally, I don't care what people do with their money and have no personal objection to MTX "gambling." I do think it's silly to take these companies to task for what is essentially the direct result of supporting shallow, shiny, manipulative garbage AAA games for years. Gamers voted with their wallets and now they're morally outraged by the results.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

still gambling

you can throw a blanket statement over it or realize that the biggest issue is that one company has decided to sell you the game you wanted after buy what amounts to a store on a disk. this is predatory on multiple levels. it is blatant lying and false advertising while holding the experience you wanted for ransom. cosmetic lootboxes are known rng, are earnable through gameplay, and are a more valid way of maintaining constant revenue to keep a game growing and in constant development.

i dont want to see all lootboxes go away because ea decided to fuck us all over otherwise gaes will start costing 80-100 bucks a pop or we will start having required dlc to keep playing. bungie did this with halo. it pissed me off that certain sections of the game were closed off to me because i didnt want to spend $15 every few month for 3 decent maps.

Personally, I don't care what people do with their money and have no personal objection to MTX "gambling." I do think it's silly to take these companies to task for what is essentially the direct result of supporting shallows, shiny, manipulative garbage AAA games for years. Gamers voted with their wallets and now they're morally outraged by the results.

Not much you can do about one person spending 10k on microtransactions. All it takes is a handful of whales for microtransactions to be lucrative.
  • Upvote (+1) 2

you can throw a blanket statement over it or realize that the biggest issue is that one company has decided to sell you the game you wanted after buy what amounts to a store on a disk. this is predatory on multiple levels. it is blatant lying and false advertising while holding the experience you wanted for ransom. cosmetic lootboxes are known rng, are earnable through gameplay, and are a more valid way of maintaining constant revenue to keep a game growing and in constant development.

i dont want to see all lootboxes go away because ea decided to fuck us all over otherwise gaes will start costing 80-100 bucks a pop or we will start having required dlc to keep playing. bungie did this with halo. it pissed me off that certain sections of the game were closed off to me because i didnt want to spend $15 every few month for 3 decent maps.

Yeah.  The EA example and Overwatch example are both gambling.  But to suggest that they are even near the same level of fuckery is absurd.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Not much you can do about one person spending 10k on microtransactions. All it takes is a handful of whales for microtransactions to be lucrative.

It's more than a few handful of whales though. Didn't Rockstar sell like $700 million in shark cards in a year or something? 

Cosmetic only lootboxes are not manipulative at all. People should look into things before they buy it. Nobodys fault other then their own.

People knowing ahead of time that there are cosmetic lootboxes doesnt erase the fact that its manipulative.

They are locking desired items behind a game of chance that heavily favors the dealer-

Lootboxes are slot machines. Slot machines are manipulative. Yes people know they are manipulative going in. Yes it's their fault. It's still manipulative.

• Upvote (+1) 4

People knowing ahead of time that there are cosmetic lootboxes doesnt erase the fact that its manipulative.

Lootboxes are slot machines. Slot machines are manipulative. Yes people know they are manipulative going in. Yes it's their fault. It's still manipulative.

So gambling or taking any risk at all would be considered manipulative in your eyes.