CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

No, I think it makes perfect sense. 343 clearly spent a ton of time into rebalancing the BR into a starting weapon. Going back to the magnum would mean all of that work was for nothing.

Welcome to the world of testing. That's how this shit works.

Im buying OW for PC this week since the black friday deal is simply too good. If anyone wants to play inbox me for my realID!!!!

Should be good times while we wait for H6 at this point  :angry:

No, I think it makes perfect sense. 343 clearly spent a ton of time into rebalancing the BR into a starting weapon.

Not really. In fact, the goals of the sandbox tuning are completely ambiguous because they haven't even stated what weapon they want to act as the utility weapon.

I think the BR was tuned pretty well but the fact that 343 doesn't have their mind made up about the utility weapon two years into the game is terrifying.

Halo 5 has terrible playlist management. One thing that I think OW does really well is its playlist management and it’s something I hope H6 copies. You have one ranked playlist and it uses the same settings the pros use in tournaments. You have one playlist that uses the same settings but is unranked. Last, you have a third playlist with multiple playlists that fall within it that are all unranked. This is where you will find things like zombies, swat, BTB... whatever. Halo would benefit immensely from the trimmed down playlist management of most modern competitive games. Nobody cares that you have a champ 20 in swat. Don’t pretend your games is “esports focused” if the playlist with the setting used in tournaments is at the bottom of a list of other RANKED game types.

everything about this post is spot on

what i've been saying since H5's launch :(

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 5 has terrible playlist management. One thing that I think OW does really well is its playlist management and it’s something I hope H6 copies. You have one ranked playlist and it uses the same settings the pros use in tournaments. You have one playlist that uses the same settings but is unranked. Last, you have a third playlist with multiple playlists that fall within it that are all unranked. This is where you will find things like zombies, swat, BTB... whatever. Halo would benefit immensely from the trimmed down playlist management of most modern competitive games. Nobody cares that you have a champ 20 in swat. Don’t pretend your games is “esports focused” if the playlist with the setting used in tournaments is at the bottom of a list of other RANKED game types.

combining swat, zombies, and BTB into one playlist sounds like a horrible idea

edit: oh i see what you mean, kinda worded weird tho

He ain’t wrong, I just can’t get over the fact that I survived Reach and Halo 4 competitive downward spiral but have trouble with the current landscape with millions of dollars being thrown around.

I hope things get figured out soon, but we have been down this path a few times already. Money can’t always be your safety net - we need real growth and change.

• Upvote (+1) 5

343 are so incompetent.

Overwatch is doing it the right way, having a competitive mode that works exactly like the eSport mode, rotating arcade modes and simple quickplay mode.. you want to play fringe gametypes? Go and search in the server browser. No overload of lists.

Always testing stuff on a ptr, reworking their tests and taking them back if needed..

343 is not even able to announce tournaments the right way. Handling their own game seems to be even harder for them

• Upvote (+1) 2

So with 343 forcing these horrible changes, that now confirms MLG is not the new TO right?

Clap would never have these changes implemented.

• Upvote (+1) 7
  • Downvote (-1) 1

yea if 343 actually gets rid of the magnum and goes with BR starts, I wouldn't even want MLG to pick up H5 because it would just be a black mark on their record. 

Team Arena with ARs and old radar is way more enjoyable than any playlist with BR starts, and that's saying something.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

ajj0k_s-200x150.gif

are these ideas the reason ghost left?

Is that... an Angela Lansburmeme?

If I had to guess, this is a miscommunication between teams and Menke doesn't know enough about sandbox design to comment accurately.

The guy has always tried to be super communicative (whereas other employees are not) so he might have simply overstepped or misspoken.

My GOD i hope so.  Menke is a smart guy and there are a few posts in there that rebut what he is saying pretty well, so hopefully that will stick...

This is unrelated, but I think it's a funny story.

My Microsoft store ran a 2v2 tournament for the Xbox One X launch (my team won, but that's irrelevant to the story). This one guy keeps bragging about how good he is, how he never misses, that he's expecting to win, and that he is an amazing swat player. Then proceeds to lose his first game 25-2. He stands up, proclaims "I have better ways to spend my time" and walks out, leaving his partner alone part way through a series in winner's bracket.

I almost lost it, like who does that?

Someone who thinks only needing to land one shot for a kill makes you good apparently.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

No, I think it makes perfect sense. 343 clearly spent a ton of time into rebalancing the BR into a starting weapon. Going back to the magnum would mean all of that work was for nothing.

The work wouldn’t be for nothing though- it would have been to prove what does/doesn’t work. In this case it doesnt work, so they learned what NOT to do. Which is a valuable lesson (should they choose to except the knowledge).

You shouldn’t test something experimental and not be prepared to reverse course if the test fails.

I guess my problem is they are still learning things that shouldn’t have to be learned at this point.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's so funny how there are HUNDREDS of bugs and things people want changed (the fucking AIMING HELLO) but the ONE thing they try and change is something most people didn't care about at all. I seriously would love to just sit in one of their meetings and see how the fuck something like this even comes up before all the game breaking bugs. I mean for Christ sake we can't even get forge maps to run at 30 FPS but no lets do BR starts.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Not really. In fact, the goals of the sandbox tuning are completely ambiguous because they haven't even stated what weapon they want to act as the utility weapon.

I think the BR was tuned pretty well but the fact that 343 doesn't have their mind made up about the utility weapon two years into the game is terrifying.

I think the fact that they're saying the magnum isn't coming back shows they absolutely have their mind made up. 

There's no ambiguity here. They nerfed the BR, made a playlist just to test it as a starting weapon, and are now saying they'll retune it to make it a better starting weapon. They wanted the BR to be the utility weapon from the beginning.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think the fact that they're saying the magnum isn't coming back shows they absolutely have their mind made up. 

There's no ambiguity here. They nerfed the BR, made a playlist just to test it as a starting weapon, and are now saying they'll retune it to make it a better starting weapon. They wanted the BR to be the utility weapon from the beginning.

Best guess is that they're going to be moving forward with the BR as the starting weapon in Halo 6, which is fine. What's not fine is forcing it upon the playerbase of a two year old game, where it plays horribly paired with the other gameplay mechanics, just because they might use it in the next game. If I wasn't so heavily invested in the Halo franchise it would be almost comical how 343 somehow keeps doing the opposite of what they should be doing to grow both the game and the competitive scene. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Best guess is that they're going to be moving forward with the BR as the starting weapon in Halo 6, which is fine. What's not fine is forcing it upon the playerbase of a two year old game, where it plays horribly paired with the other gameplay mechanics, just because they might use it in the next game.

Maybe this is the beginning of their back to basics approach to Halo 6.