CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Totally off topic.....

But my Xbox has been randomly turning on by itself recently. No voice commands activated and nothing is near the power button.

Any explanation?

Mine has been doing this since I got it. I have no idea what causes it, or any solution. I am very interested to hear if you find a solution though.

• Upvote (+1) 1

You're all pretending like PUBG isn't trying to cash in as fast as possible knowing the next battle royale game is going to topple them.

And they're succeeding. Gotta fund that MMO!

You're all pretending like PUBG isn't trying to cash in as fast as possible knowing the next battle royale game is going to topple them. 

Is this not obvious considering they're running events for the game while it's in beta?

Is this not obvious considering they're running events for the game while it's in beta?

Or selling loot crates in beta, after wildly receiving praise for promising to not do so before the game left beta.

None of those weapons were straight upgrades to the spawning weapon in every way. The BR, DMR, Carbine, and LR until this updater were all straight upgrades

That’s kind of my point. they were at best situational upgrades, but there just wasn’t this mass amount of variety. And the variety that exists now seems like it’s purely for the sake of having variety. Reading through some of the comments got me to wondering about if the variety is even helping the game. It seems like 2 precision weapons would be plenty. Other than that some power weapons and a few that are situational and then work on balance and maps

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anybody know of any good 4v4 forge maps? I went through forgehub two days ago for like an hour and legit only found one map I thought could work for HCS, it was called Divided. I'd like to see if anything could be put in for the future.

Not forge but if you could take a look at the Torque edit I did, that would be cool.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=BookmarkCount&page=1&gamertag=Savior%20IU#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_mapvariant_Savior%20IU_1288745d-07b4-4880-93b6-5aa844e544b8

• Upvote (+1) 1

I think there's plenty of room for multiple BR games to be popular at the same time. Just look at PUBG and Fortnite, two very different game styles within the BR genre, and both have an insane number of players. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Does anybody know of any good 4v4 forge maps? I went through forgehub two days ago for like an hour and legit only found one map I thought could work for HCS, it was called Divided. I'd like to see if anything could be put in for the future.

Hangar 9 is one I made. I like TS and Oddball on it, but I worry it could be too small.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=BookmarkCount&page=1&gamertag=Bunnies%20Waddles#ugc_halo-5-guardians_xbox-one_mapvariant_Bunnies%20Waddles_4b7f18d1-caac-4fee-a604-d1ec25fe67cb

Mine has been doing this since I got it. I have no idea what causes it, or any solution. I am very interested to hear if you find a solution though.

Totally off topic.....

But my Xbox has been randomly turning on by itself recently. No voice commands activated and nothing is near the power button.

Any explanation?

Have you tried buying an Xbox One X?

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can’t take PUBG seriously as an esport because at its core it is inherently RNG based. I’m not going to use hyperbole and say anyone can beat anyone because there is no skill at all. I know that on the average by and large a “pro” BR player will win over a noob but the fact remains that someone who is less skilled can win over someone more skilled simply because of pure luck. The problem of RNG is even more apparent at top levels of play because the pros all play at roughly around the same caliber meaning who wins is even less determined by skill and more determined by luck. The idea that a tournament with hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line could be won by finding a lucky weapon spawn in a “competitive” game is a joke to me. A BR style game may be more popular than Halo. It may have better developer support. It may provide a smoother viewing experience. But it will NEVER be more competitive than Halo.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I can’t take PUBG seriously as an esport because at its core it is inherently RNG based. I’m not going to use hyperbole and say anyone can beat anyone because there is no skill at all. I know that on the average by and large a “pro” BR player will win over a noob but the fact remains that someone who is less skilled can win over someone more skilled simply because of pure luck. The problem of RNG is even more apparent at top levels of play because the pros all play at roughly around the same caliber meaning who wins is even less determined by skill and more determined by luck. The idea that a tournament with hundreds of thousands of dollars on the line could be won by finding a lucky weapon spawn in a “competitive” game is a joke to me. A BR style game may be more popular than Halo. It may have better developer support. It may provide a smoother viewing experience. But it will NEVER be more competitive than Halo.

Oh yea PUBG is extremely luck based. I'm hoping they tweak it to balance the loot drops but as an esport it will never compare to a symmetrical arena style shooter as far as competitiveness goes. Still fun to watch near the tail end of games. I think I heard Fortnite might consider doing some form of esports which is even less competitive with building mechanics. 

I'm pretty sure I don't miss with the H2BR.

That statement alone should tell you how fucking broken the gun is.

I agree with you, I was just trying to clarify the statement that was made. I would rather not see any br pickups on map at all with pistol starts. The whole idea of straight upgrade pickups for a utility weapon just boggles the mind with me. I understand where some are coming from when looking for upgrade map pickups, but I would rather see pickups relegated to power weapons, and those who use is dedicated to a more niche function like shotgun, plasma pistol, etc.

In its defence H1Z1 as example plus many many other games are also still in beta/pre release, its a common thing this these days and an amazing advertising/showcasing tool. The patch went live for PC V1.0 on test server and its a new game with what feels like a new fully optimized engine update, it will actually be one of a handful to actually launch after going into pre-release as many dont actualy fully launch. I know alot have mentioned over the luck/rng factor but BH is working with the players to introduce better systems and formats to counter balance this along with better in game stuff. Currently in testing is slow circle speeds and also more central defined circles. This is why IEM is 8 games to average out the very best team + 1.5x AR settings give good chances of guns off drop plus we remove red zones. Also youve never known RNG until youve played hearthstone and that honestly is doing fine as an esport, incredibly big actually. To say its all luck based is incorrect, you rotate and deal with rough circles or rush teams for gear/compounds, as for the camping its a survival game after all right? you play the game in anyway you can to get the win. I agree tho on the viewing part, not only is it hard to showcase but it can also be a little hard to watch right now, everyone is innovating and trying new shit and once the perfect formula is found it will be golden. The new kill feed on test server is like csgo with clean/clear weapon/kill indicators, more tweaks and tools should come with time.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

Totally off topic.....

Any explanation?

Same for me, big brother is watching. Do you have a connect? I figured maybe the update to the UI had changed the settings to always on for updates, but I haven't bothered to look

snip

Definitely agree on the advertising part. That's definitely a big part of esports. I feel like usually when tourneys are ran prior to full release it's just more about showcasing than competition. We saw this in H2A as well as H5 (Gamescom). This IEM however feels more focused on the competitive side. To be clear, I don't think there's anything wrong with PUBG trying to get the most out of the game. There's clearly a market for it. That said, I do think it's a matter of time before PUBG is dethroned just as H1Z1 was.

Also regarding the structure of IEM. I do like that 8 games are taken into account to try to counter some luck based results, but theoretically couldn't a team not win a single map and still finish in first?(I'm not entirely sure of the score system so correct me if I'm wrong) I feel like with the newness of battle royales, there's still room for the settings/format to improve.

Same for me, big brother is watching. Do you have a connect? I figured maybe the update to the UI had changed the settings to always on for updates, but I haven't bothered to look

been happening to me for 6 months now. no connect.

No connect. I even have it switched to turn off instead of sit idle and immediately startup or whatever. 

been happening to me for 6 months now. no connect.

No connect. I even have it switched to turn off instead of sit idle and immediately startup or whatever. 

Are you guys intentionally calling the Kinect "connect" or am I just missing something here?

• Upvote (+1) 1

In its defence H1Z1 as example plus many many other games are also still in beta/pre release, its a common thing this these days and an amazing advertising/showcasing tool. The patch went live for PC V1.0 on test server and its a new game with what feels like a new fully optimized engine update, it will actually be one of a handful to actually launch after going into pre-release as many dont actualy fully launch. I know alot have mentioned over the luck/rng factor but BH is working with the players to introduce better systems and formats to counter balance this along with better in game stuff. Currently in testing is slow circle speeds and also more central defined circles. This is why IEM is 8 games to average out the very best team + 1.5x AR settings give good chances of guns off drop plus we remove red zones. Also youve never known RNG until youve played hearthstone and that honestly is doing fine as an esport, incredibly big actually. To say its all luck based is incorrect, you rotate and deal with rough circles or rush teams for gear/compounds, as for the camping its a survival game after all right? you play the game in anyway you can to get the win. I agree tho on the viewing part, not only is it hard to showcase but it can also be a little hard to watch right now, everyone is innovating and trying new shit and once the perfect formula is found it will be golden. The new kill feed on test server is like csgo with clean/clear weapon/kill indicators, more tweaks and tools should come with time.

I know it isn’t ALL luck but as much as they try to balance it luck is still going to play a significant role in a battle royale type of game. I’m the type of person that will complain about random spread on the br if it even leads to a more skilled player losing to a lesser skilled player in 1 out of a 100 gun fights so battle royale type games are probably never going to be my cup of tea. At the end of the day it’s about entertainment and if people enjoy watching it more power to them but I think I’ll stick with my old school arena games.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Are you guys intentionally calling the Kinect "connect" or am I just missing something here?

I misspelt it, and then couldn't believe when the others double down on my idiocy. In my defense, on mobile and couldn't be bothered editing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It’s a bit like professional poker in that regard. Luck prevails in the short term, but skill prevails in the long term. That’s probably why they do so many rounds.

A skillful player consistently minimizes the impact of having bad luck, and maximizes the impact of having good luck.

• Upvote (+1) 6