CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

In a game riddled with hit registration issues, blanks, ghost melees and thrash servers we really don't need a more inconsistent starting weapon.

I actually really liked the faster RoF on the BR especially the one in the beta. Why we had to go back to the H3 BR is beyond me.

• Upvote (+1) 7

For someone who's Bronze 6, sure.

But I'm quite certain we're going to see plenty of people learn to master the Battle Rifle's new style of firing in Diamond+ MMR.

Really I don't think there's a lot to master. About the only mistake people seem to consistently make is shooting earlier than they should and just missing the first bullet or two of the burst outright. Thrust seems a little more powerful in a perfect world too but somehow I think online servers are going to make that a nonfactor. As always sweeping your shot to finish a one shot is far easier with burst fire. The change of pace is alright but overall I feel like the pistol was nearly exactly what people have been asking for since H3 and it hurts to see it get tossed aside for a slower weapon burst/single shot aside

I feel so gross for even saying this but coming back to Halo 5 after D2 on PC everything feels so clunky it makes me want to just not play at all. I really don't understand how Halo got to this point

• Upvote (+1) 1

For someone who's Bronze 6, sure.

But I'm quite certain we're going to see plenty of people learn to master the Battle Rifle's new style of firing in Diamond+ MMR.

dude stop trying to call out people on stats, that's so rude. Do you know how much time and effort he's put into hitting Bronze 6? He's so close to hitting silver, he can't stop talking to me about it, he's so excited. Have some respect.

• Upvote (+1) 6

After playing with the BR a bunch more, it really isn’t as inconsistent as i’d initially thought. I don’t understand why they implemented spread at all, but it seems to me that on arena maps, if the players head is in the center of the reticle for all 3 bullet, they all register. Getting a perfect outside of RRR feels pretty rewarding, because it meant you successfully tracked your target for the entirety of each burst.

The new BR also seems like it’s better at backing down other rifles than the magnum is. It has the higher RRR, and the slower cadence means your opponent is out of scope longer, if you land every shot in a burst.

Basically, in comparison to the magnum, it has a lower skill floor, thanks to the range AimAssist kicks in, and the fact that burst makes it more forgiving to initial inaccuracy- you can correct your aim mid shot and still deal damage. But it has a comparable( maybe even higher) skill ceiling, because efficiently finishing off kills requires you to track your opponent during an entire burst.

Now, My main issue is the same I have with any burst fire weapon. It’s hard to tell how much damage I’ve done. There are times when I thought I got a perfect, but when I go back and watch, I actually missed a bullet or 2. It just seems like it’s impossible to relay good feedback with a weapon of this nature.

So I’m team Magnum, but I no longer hate the new BR.

• Upvote (+1) 6

interesting video about the likely H5 population:

That's about what I expected but I never saw that chart showing the % of champion players. That makes it so easy to know how many players they had. That's actually worse than I thought they were doing and I pretty much expected a tragedy

• Upvote (+1) 1

interesting video about the likely H5 population:

https://youtu.be/s5vmirGErmI

This video is full of some bad maths.

First he some extrapolated the data to mean 150k concurrent players- no, it means 150k ranked players per season.

The he suspects that if a player plays one game they count- nope, they have to be ranked.

He also said you the game is free if you spend a couple of bucks a month- which is the exact opposite of free.

He also chose Fortnight as his principle comparison, which is actually free.

Anyway,

Halo 5s pop peaks around 20k daily. So, Probably between 60-80k UU/day with 150k+ UU/months. No telling how many of this people primarily play Warzone/Social. That’s nothing to write home about, and it’s bad new for diamond/onyx players and anyone not in the US.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Propaganda? Seriously?

Yes, saying how it has suddenly become a "noob" weapon. 

GG's

No GGs, I support the magnum. 

*insert cleaning gif*

Alright guys.

You can have your own opinions on magnum vs. BR but when it gets to the point that you're calling out specific forum members and spiraling into personal arguments over their preference, that's when it's gone too far.

Understand that not everybody has to agree with you. Just because someone has a differing opinion than your own, does not make them an idiot.

• Upvote (+1) 7

This video is full of some bad maths.

First he some extrapolated the data to mean 150k concurrent players- no, it means 150k ranked players per season.

The he suspects that if a player plays one game they count- nope, they have to be ranked.

He also said you the game is free if you spend a couple of bucks a month- which is the exact opposite of free.

He also chose Fortnight as his principle comparison, which is actually free.

Anyway,

Halo 5s pop peaks around 20k daily. So, Probably between 60-80k UU/day with 150k+ UU/months. No telling how many of this people primarily play Warzone/Social. That’s nothing to write home about, and it’s bad new for diamond/onyx players and anyone not in the US.

Thank god we have 18 playlists though  :mj:

I support team #MagnumDongs

tumblr_inline_nzzgx7NwKi1rf2ian_500.gif

I can't argue with this.

Thank god we have 18 playlists though  :mj:

And more ranked than social....

I played with the BR some more this morning and im sorry but its just a bad/annoying gun. its level of aiming difficulty seems about right (the RRR and AA changes did their job) but its... so... fucking... slow.  

I honestly don't even care if its "Balanced" (its not).  When its this annoying to shoot balance goes out the window.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yea I'm with most of you guys. I usually can get on H5 and play HCS for a few hours with friends here and there, but I couldn't play more than 3 games last night with the BR/terrible maps.

The team arena playlist is honestly more enjoyable right now.

• Upvote (+1) 2

After playing with the BR a bunch more, it really isn’t as inconsistent as i’d initially thought. I don’t understand why they implemented spread at all, but it seems to me that on arena maps, if the players head is in the center of the reticle for all 3 bullet, they all register. Getting a perfect outside of RRR feels pretty rewarding, because it meant you successfully tracked your target for the entirety of each burst.

The new BR also seems like it’s better at backing down other rifles than the magnum is. It has the higher RRR, and the slower cadence means your opponent is out of scope longer, if you land every shot in a burst.

Basically, in comparison to the magnum, it has a lower skill floor, thanks to the range AimAssist kicks in, and the fact that burst makes it more forgiving to initial inaccuracy- you can correct your aim mid shot and still deal damage. But it has a comparable( maybe even higher) skill ceiling, because efficiently finishing off kills requires you to track your opponent during an entire burst.

Now, My main issue is the same I have with any burst fire weapon. It’s hard to tell how much damage I’ve done. There are times when I thought I got a perfect, but when I go back and watch, I actually missed a bullet or 2. It just seems like it’s impossible to relay good feedback with a weapon of this nature.

So I’m team Magnum, but I no longer hate the new BR.

I think they would have been fine with no spread and new RoF, but the spread doesn't feel too obnoxious (nowhere near as bad as H3).  

You can usually tell about damage if you pay super close attention to hitmarkers, but it's not a perfect science because online is a thing (I was getting perfect kills with the magnum when I missed a shot and others were getting them when I knew for a fact that they missed one as well).  It's a bit wonky, sure, but it feels relatively decent and I like having the longer gunfights instead of the sometimes spam-happy situations the magnum made possible. 

sometimes spam-happy situations the magnum made possible.

Lol you should try the gunfighter. Really the next time you're close don't even try to shoot for the head and instead just shoot as fast as possible

• Upvote (+1) 1

Lol you should try the gunfighter. Really the next time you're close don't even try to shoot for the head and instead just shoot as fast as possible

Yea I'd prefer them to just go BR only starts, the gunfighter is nuts lol.  

I think they would have been fine with no spread and new RoF, but the spread doesn't feel too obnoxious (nowhere near as bad as H3).

You can usually tell about damage if you pay super close attention to hitmarkers, but it's not a perfect science because online is a thing (I was getting perfect kills with the magnum when I missed a shot and others were getting them when I knew for a fact that they missed one as well). It's a bit wonky, sure, but it feels relatively decent and I like having the longer gunfights instead of the sometimes spam-happy situations the magnum made possible.

Trying to keep track of hitmarkers makes the act of dealing damage overtly complicated.

I'm dodging OP grenades, trying to track an opponent who's thrusting all over the place, while crouch strafing and concentrating extra hard on tracking an opponents head. It's sensory overload.

one of the benefits of the shield mechanic is it relays health info without having to put health meters or HP info in the HUD. burst fire weapons weaken that benefit.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Trying to keep track of hitmarkers makes the act of dealing damage overtly complicated.

I'm dodging OP grenades, trying to track an opponent who's thrusting all over the place, while crouch strafing and concentrating extra hard on tracking an opponents head. It's sensory overload.

one of the benefits of the shield mechanic is it relays health info without having to put health meters or HP info in the HUD. burst fire weapons weaken that benefit.

Yea I agree with you, it's be no means ideal.  However it's probably something we'll get a feel for once we use it for a bit longer.  

If the gunfighter didn't reward body shots so much then I'd advocate for gf starts.GF is way more difficult to use than the pistol and not random like it was in the tuning test.

I'm sure you don't. The reality is that when you fire a burst on a moving target (in a game where people are constantly flying and thrusting), you don't know how much damage you will do and the idea that anyone is going to meaningfully compensate for that with analogue sticks is ridiculous. It's a challenge in that it doesn't happen and the inconsistency that the slower burst introduces has very little to do with mechanical ability.

It's not ridiculous to expect people to track someone for the fraction of a second that a burst takes to complete. This is how I know you're either bad or haven't been playing.

It's strange how you say one thing that is challenging is "ridiculous to expect" but yet applaud other challenging mechanics as increasing the skill gap?

Nvm just saw who I'm arguing with