CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

But with the OWL and the CWL, would they have time to run a Halo season ? I don't think so tbh.. 

Season? Depends on length, but most likely no.

Opens? Sure, they're the kings of it.

I don't think MLG is very involved if at all in 2018 Halo esports though.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Yeah agreed, MLG doing open events and ESL/UGC doing the online season would be so great. 

best case scenario: MLG becomes the new ESL.  Directly runs 2 or 3 events a year, manages smaller TO's for everything else.

I would honestly be ok with that.  For the third time this thread haha, i HOPE MLG runs 2 majors + Worlds, UGC (with MLG management/assistance) runs a bunch of minors.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know anything about how MLG operates but it seems like maybe you have that extra bandwidth as you're preparing for OWL. Maybe you can do Gears and get some extra revenue there and maybe that can even continue once OWL launches.

But HCS is another big commitment that ATVI probably doesn't want to be tied down with when their company's bottom line is riding on their huge investment in OWL.

IDK. Maybe they will just hire people if it's really a sweet deal.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

All I'm saying is from a business strategy point of view, maybe you have that extra bandwidth as you're preparing for OWL. Maybe you can do Gears and get some extra revenue there and maybe that can even continue once OWL launches.

But HCS doesn't just mean a few tournaments. It means full dedicated production, admins, events and likely a commitment that ATVI probably doesn't want to be tied down with when their company's bottom line is riding on their huge investment in OWL.

Only other scenario is they hire a new team to run Halo, but it is really MLG then?

It doesn't mean that though.  Halo doesn't need MLG to run every single event, just a couple and manage the rest.  Being a good project manager can make all the difference, even if the talent running the show is more or less the same.  Management and culture matters and it doesn't take a ton of resources to have an impact on those.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm just here to play devil's advocate. I have no information really but it's much more fun to make bold predictions and try to rationalize them. That's what forums are for. I hope MLG does Halo again and I hope it's open bracket and I can get all my friends together again like that CoD commercial haha.

How about this for a plot twist. Maybe the HCS budget plummeted but Micrsoft still wanted a million dollar tournament for marketing reasons. Therefore we're not changing tournament organizers due to previous negative feedback, but because the HCS can't afford ESL.

• Upvote (+1) 2

How about this for a plot twist. Maybe the HCS budget plummeted but Micrsoft still wanted a million dollar tournament for marketing reasons. Therefore we're not changing tournament organizers due to previous negative feedback, but because the HCS can't afford ESL.

I do know something about ESL's business strategy. If Microsoft goes to ESL tomorrow and says "Hey our budget is $20,000 now," ESL will say "okay" and make a league that costs them $15,000 to run. ESL works with companies with much smaller budgets than Microsoft.

Not to read into anything but today a friends uncle neighbor saw someone at the MS campus with a MLG shirt.

Just saying guys :lxthul:

We back!

We have about 12 pages of rampant MLG speculations and hopes. What a time to be a Halo fan.

Lots of people on this forum sure do know a lot about our business and how we prioritize things O.o

Not even commenting on Halo but generally I think I've been clear: We'll continue operating non AB titles when and where it makes sense for our business.

I'm not going to do the obvious and ask something like, "Will MLG be running Halo tournaments soon?".

But if MLG wasn't planning on running Halo tournaments soon, would you choose to reveal, or not reveal that information on these forums?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

UGC is the 2nd best option honestly. Every event they've ever done was pretty good. First St. Louis was a little rough, but they got like 30+ more teams than they expected at the door.

With a good budget, and a larger team they can do fantastic things.

Agreed.  They're solid too.  That's who I'm putting my money on to be the TO, but I'm still praying for MLG. 

I'm not going to do the obvious and ask something like, "Will MLG be running Halo tournaments soon?".

But if MLG wasn't planning on running Halo tournaments soon, would you choose to reveal, or not reveal that information on these forums?

Accidental neg. My bad

MLG can neither confirm nor deny without approval from the secretary...

Neither is Gears lol

There's a strong possibility Gears contracts were signed before MLG was acquired by ActiBlizz.

I'm not saying this means MLG can't continue to run Gears afterward, but... I would not be surprised if MLG does not continue to run Gears after the initially announced events are done.

I hope I'm wrong.

Lots of people on this forum sure do know a lot about our business and how we prioritize things O.o

Not even commenting on Halo but generally I think I've been clear: We'll continue operating non AB titles when and where it makes sense for our business.

And with a single forum post, MLG Adam renewed the hopes of the masses.