CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Overgrowth is a tumor, Riptide is a buttcheek, and Mercy is a juicy turd. Absolutely no reason to test any of these maps because we have all already played them and they all suck ass.

I dont mind Mercy oddball with the hcs settings.

Riptide and overgrowth are still bad though. Molten isn't being tested is it?

• Upvote (+1) 1

lol 6 weeks until the new year and we still havent had details about the TO and structuring

In before..."We will have something in place and announced after the holiday season"

• Upvote (+1) 1

Josh Menke explained some of the reasoning for the weapon update and the HCS population in a couple posts. The quoted portions are only part of the posts.

So I wasn't directly involved in the changes, but I think the story went something like this.

1.    Community / Pros pointed out that AR had issues with competitiveness.

2.    We confirmed it in our data

3.    We decided we needed to rebalance the AR

4.    But the entire sandbox was built around AR/Pistol

5.    So we needed to rebalance a lot of the sandbox with fixing the AR issues.

6.    In addition, we took feedback from Pros that the sandbox should be balanced around a precision primary instead of an automatic. So the sandbox is now tuned around BR/GFM.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-update-%E2%80%93-november-13/86d5de4e-0400-48fe-a7a8-2d7c59db6f8d/posts?page=2#post34

But I can answer that while a small group of players do feel HCS plays well on those settings, playlist health doesn't support that. Team Arena still has more players and now more playtime than HCS, and HCS isn't converting folks over. I feel like if we have settings that only appeal to a small audience that isn't growing, it'll be hard to grow the comp scene.

Meanwhile, although Team Arena had settings for the majority of its lifetime that weren't as fun for that same audience, it did retain a higher portion of the population than HCS ever did, and its population and playtime has grown steadily since HCS was created, whereas HCS has not. So while the design core wasn't whIat comp wanted, I feel the designers who created it know how to make settings that have growth potential vs. shrinking.

I want the best of both worlds. I want settings that maintain the precision gameplay the comp scene likes, while also not losing players that come over from Slayer. Then we can merge Team Arena and HCS on those settings. Right off the bat this would triple the pop going into matchmaking on our comp settings. More people playing our core comp mode means more people understanding it, means more people watching it, and more people coming out to events. It also, of course, makes it much easier to matchmake for streamers, etc.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/58b8518e005f432381ab99fbcaf931e0/topics/matchmaking-feedback-update-%E2%80%93-november-13/86d5de4e-0400-48fe-a7a8-2d7c59db6f8d/posts?page=2#post37

• Upvote (+1) 3

I need context on the team arena numbers. Its clear that HCS settings are not popular within Halo 5 but it isn't clear if Halo 5 numbers in general are acceptable. Looking at other game populations that are ranked higher than H5 leads me to believe just about nobody really plays this game at all so swapping to the "popular" H5 settings wouldn't actually matter and in the grand scheme of things everything probably needs to change if they want to do well. Basically what I'd like them to answer is if you triple the HCS population will it even be an appreciable difference or is it still going to be absolutely minuscule compared to the larger esports? How many of those players are just picking the first MM option they see? How many ever actually check out anything to do with the HCS afterwards? If it is still going to be unbelievably tiny is this even worth talking about and/or ruining the experience for the dedicated competitive audience?

Wanna bet the HCS playlist's pop would go up if they simply swapped spots on the menu with Team Arena? I wonder if they factor that in at all.

• Upvote (+1) 7

OK so unpopular opinion time:

I actually really like the BR starts so far.  Now this could just be because of the maps/games I was getting, but it's nice to actually have strafing and the ability to get away instead of getting 5 shot'd in the blink of an eye.  

Admittedly it needs more testing, and I do think they should drop the gunfighter magnum and just go with BR only. but I much prefer the BR starts to the magnum ones. 

Keep in mind I reserve the right to change my mind once I've had more play time with it, but for the moment I'm enjoying the BR starts much more than I did the magnum ones.

• Upvote (+1) 6

My problem with the BR is that I just don't understand what the bullets are doing. Sometimes its all crispy and nice and other times I drop perfect shots and, surprise, the person doesn't die. I don't know if individual bullets aren't counting, if they're missing somehow with spread, if they're hitting the body instead of the head with the magnetism, or if the bullets are slow somehow. Its just weird and I've never really had this problem with any other BR because even in H3 you could see blood shots or random spread just missing. Now its just a mystery  

• Upvote (+1) 1

I kept telling you guys... Did I not tell you guys for months back in 2015 and 2016?

I said, this game cannot survive unless we appeal to all Halo players by implementing automatic weaponry as an integral part of competitive Halo. But did anyone listen? TELL ME @@Oriiii, DID ANYONE LISTEN?

It's nice to finally hear from 343's mouth that HCS was a resounding and undeniable FISH. Maybe now we can finally set about making some competitive settings.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 4

Wanna bet the HCS playlist's pop would go up if they simply swapped spots on the menu with Team Arena? I wonder if they factor that in at all.

They could literally swap the settings within the playlists and casuals wouldnt migrate over to HCS.

• Upvote (+1) 3

If HCS settings are so "competitive", why was everyone so in favor of removing certain weapons that they said were "too easy"?

Surely if you were so much better than the competition, you'd be able to control those "easy" weapons and stomp on those bad players even harder?

Hm, makes you think.

• Upvote (+1) 2

i haven't seen people this pissed in a long time  :stressed:

@@Santa can you bring us some new maps for xmas?

As someone who plays more HCS than the 99%, I can't say I'm pissed, just disappointed. I'm glad they are testing a new gametype, but it sucks that I won't be able to play Slayer, Strongholds and CTF for who knows how long. I like Oddball and I want it to be added to the rotation but the BR just feels wrong to me and maps like Overgrowth just don't belong in Halo. I wish they'd just add Oddball to the HCS playlist, give it a higher chance of playing it, but don't remove the other gametypes, IMO it would play just fine with pistol starts.

• Upvote (+1) 1

i haven't seen people this pissed in a long time  :stressed:

@@Santa can you bring us some new maps for xmas?

+ Vibes only.  EU, LATAM, and Australia/New Zealand are getting 25k open lans  :)

• Upvote (+1) 3

+ Vibes only.  EU, LATAM, and Australia/New Zealand are getting 25k open lans  :)

good point, i'm excited about 2018 despite the lack of news so far

As someone who plays more HCS than the 99%, I can't say I'm pissed, just disappointed. I'm glad they are testing a new gametype, but it sucks that I won't be able to play Slayer, Strongholds and CTF for who knows how long. I like Oddball and I want it to be added to the rotation but the BR just feels wrong to me and maps like Overgrowth just don't belong in Halo. I wish they'd just add Oddball to the HCS playlist, give it a higher chance of playing it, but don't remove the other gametypes, IMO it would play just fine with pistol starts.

agreed, they should have just added oddball to HCS and called it a day

i suspect less people are playing now because it's oddball only

• Upvote (+1) 3

Optic must be getting lonely at the top, it's cold when you're by yourself anywhere really.

Dare I say.....Frosty.

• Upvote (+1) 8

Josh Menke explained some of the reasoning for the weapon update and the HCS population in a couple posts. The quoted portions are only part of the posts.

1.    Community / Pros pointed out that AR had issues with competitiveness.

2.    We confirmed it in our data

Lmao.

good point, i'm excited about 2018 despite the lack of news so far

agreed, they should have just added oddball to HCS and called it a day

i suspect less people are playing now because it's oddball only

From 343's perspective- Removing the old game types gets players to play the new ones. If they had added Overgrowth and Riptide alongside official gametypes, every one would have just dodged like they did the last time 343 tried to do that shit. Now, I guarantee more people are willing to give those maps a chance because there's so little variety in the playlist that dodging doesn't accomplish much. 

Of course, I think most players don't believe those maps deserve any consideration at all, but 343 obviously doesn't see it that way.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's still being tweaked, but Extraction is now a thing again.

You can follow the development, leave feedback, and download the test variant HERE.

Just a suggestion based on how Forge works: make it a hill that you sit inside instead of a button you press.

• Upvote (+1) 2