CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Member when we were all sure that it was MLG. Good times.

tenor.gif

• Upvote (+1) 2

Buying a full priced game and having things restricted behind a credit system is not overtly bad in itself, but in this instance regardless of how well you perform in a game you'll get the same amount of credits as everyone else meaning if you're a better player you're not going to get access to the characters any sooner (there's a chance this could just be part of early access but the subreddit comment makes me think otherwise).

They've outright said it's tied to game time played, not how well you do.  Angry Joe did an interview with a producer on the game (Paul Keslin) and he said they were keeping it that way intentionally. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

It just sounds like you have a definition of casual that is convenient for your position.

Whether or not a player is casual or not has little to do with how 'invested' they are (time/money) and everything to do with how consumed they are with the game, particularly of they are consumed with winning.

Most of any games long-term playerbase are casual players.

When it comes to MTs, casual, competitive, and hardcore players alike frequently end up being whales. This is because they are designed to prey on people's addictive tendencies.

I have a position that is based on my definition/opinion. Thats generally how that works.

You sounds like you're mostly agreeing with me anyways.

Since we dunno when we’re getting the TO announcement and teams probably aren’t going to announce rosters until after that are we allowed to talk about the Battlefront 2 shitstorm?

Fuck those requirements.40 hours to unlock a hero??I have nothing against microtransactions when they're done right because they can support the game post launch.They can also be helpful if the game is AA or a cult classic.Unfortunately battlefront's microtransactions are not only done bad but are also predatory.

Games are becoming so big and increasingly expensive to make that the standard $60 price tag is no longer enough.

The problem is that many publishers believe that consumers will refuse to buy games that cost more, so they implement progression systems that ruin the game by being inherently designed to encourage microtransactions.

Until now I was so excited for Battlefront 2, more excited for the release of a game than I've been in years. The maps are incredible and the game is so immersive. I'd happily pay $70 or even $80 for the game, but now I probably won't even buy it.

Games are becoming so big and increasingly expensive to make that the standard $60 price tag is no longer enough.

The problem is that many publishers believe that consumers will refuse to buy games that cost more, so they implement progression systems that ruin the game by being designed to inherently encourage microtransactions.

Until now I was so excited for Battlefront 2, more excited for the release of a game than I've been in years. The maps are incredible and the game is so immersive. I'd happily pay $70 or even $80 for the game, but now I probably won't even buy it.

Honestly an $80 or $90 pricetag for new games wouldn't put me off of buying them nearly as much as knowing the game is going to be chopped into pieces, and sold to me a little bit at a time, even after my initial $60 investment. It's one thing to use loot boxes when it's purely cosmetics and it keeps the DLC free like Overwatch, thus not spliiting the playerbase, but what companies like EA and Activision are doing with Battlefront and CoD, I simply can't support it. I guess it's a good thing I found the Battlefront 1 gameplay to be fairly shallow, and I burned out on it pretty quickly, so my interest levels were low to begin with. And I don't even want to talk about what Activision did with Modern Warfare Remastered, which was the straw that broke the camels back for me in regards to the CoD franchise, no matter how much I enjoy the WWII era for FPS games.

• Upvote (+1) 4

What size monitor do you like to play on?

I'm on a 24 inch right now, but I wouldn't mind getting a bigger screen at all.

The problem is that many publishers believe that consumers will refuse to buy games that cost more, so they implement progression systems that ruin the game by being inherently designed to encourage microtransactions.

And tons of people are moving on to f2p indie games to avoid it.

It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

The recommended retail price for games in Australia is always around $100 (sometimes $110) but you can generally pickup new releases for $70 or less. I'm fine with game prices increasing if it means better developed games. If it's too expensive to release a fully realised and well tested game under current pricing then by all means up the price to make it possible.

My opinion on DLC/Microtransactions has now become that they should be treated similarly to going to the cinema to watch a movie.

Regardless of what ticket you buy, or whether you buy anything from the concession stand you're still going to see the movie. Luxury seating and food/drinks may increase your overall experience but if you don't buy them it won't detract from the sole purpose of you being there.

There's obviously more to it and its not the best analogy but it's how I'm thinking about it at the moment.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Maybe if you stop paying millions in unnecessary shit like Mike Colter and Peter Dinklage just to have them scrapped from the game your $60 game would be profitable

"I'd pay $80 for a game yeah sure", what the fuck?

• Upvote (+1) 9

My opinion on DLC/Microtransactions has now become that they should be treated similarly to going to the cinema to watch a movie.

Regardless of what ticket you buy, or whether you buy anything from the concession stand you're still going to see the movie. Luxury seating and food/drinks may increase your overall experience but if you don't buy them it won't detract from the sole purpose of you being there.

There's obviously more to it and its not the best analogy but it's how I'm thinking about it at the moment.

I think this is a good viewpoint for games like H5 where most of the paid content can be reasonably unlocked for free and doesn't have a gigantic impact on the fun you'll have playing the game.

The analogy falls apart with games like BF2 where it really is a $60 game that is designed like a f2p one. If you only give EA $60, you are content for people purchasing unlocks.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm on a 24 inch right now, but I wouldn't mind getting a bigger screen at all.

If you are going to get up into the 30"+ class of screen, 4k might be worth it but frankly sizes below that 1440P will do.  Pixel density is so high you have to have your face sooooo close to tell the difference. If you don't play like FearItself, you'll be fine.  1440p has almost 1.7 million more pixels than 1080p already

If H5 had actual DLC like H2/3 and not just a _stain plan to basically deliver the game in pieces over two years I'd be fine with the H5 microtransactions.But as it is, the REQ system is really just Microsoft being greedy as always.

For H6 they also really need to stop funneling people into Warzone by shafting BTB and giving higher REQ earnings in WZ.

If you are going to get up into the 30"+ class of screen, 4k might be worth it but frankly sizes below that 1440P will do.  Pixel density is so high you have to have your face sooooo close to tell the difference. If you don't play like FearItself, you'll be fine.  1440p has almost 1.7 million more pixels than 1080p already

Is 1440p standard in new monitors these days?

I bought a new BenQ last year which I'm currently using for my Xbox One X, can't remember the model off the top of my head though. No idea about the 1440p stuff. I could probably google it, but you have a trustworthy face.

I bought a new BenQ last year which I'm currently using for my Xbox One X, can't remember the model off the top of my head though. No idea about the 1440p stuff. I could probably google it, but you have a trustworthy face.

1440p is still fairly new, not standard like 1080p, you still pay a premium, but its amazing.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How big is your monitor? 1080p is still the standard for ~24" right now.

Edit: On windows you can check your (max) monitor resolution, as it won't go over what your monitor is capable of.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Well, if you're playing Arena, I guess. But the most "ambitious" addition to Halo multiplayer ever, Warzone, which was the primary casual experience for the game and completely built around a micro-transaction system, absolutely puts new players at a massive disadvantage. And even once you DO unlock your DMR at SR 100+ or whatever the average for that was, it still ruins the game mode because in order for REQs to incentivize blowing your money on them, they have to be completely overpowered and brain dead. They have to dominate the game (which happens at REQ level 4 every game). And, to the shock of all, 343 increased the REQ leveling speed after launch for both WZ and WZA to ensure that precision gunfights are even less relevant and REQs are consumed even more quickly.

Meh, I've always played WZA as a warmup playlist and I have a decent KD/Win rate using the standard Pistol for about 40% of my kills and selling my REQs more often than not. The introduction of Wasps at 4 was the first thing that really started to annoy me as someone playing as essentially a SR 1 player, but by then I had so many REQ points saved up it was easy to stockpile a bunch of plasma pistols and start upgrading to the BR with bonus vehicle damage.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

imo 1440p is overrated at anything below 25".  it's not like the step from 720p to 1080p.  144hz, on the other hand, is ridiculously impressive. 

My 24" Viewsonic 1080p / 144hz / 1ms monitor with Freesync was like $180.  I don't really see the value in paying another $400 to go from 1080p to 1440p, though maybe at 27"?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Meh, I've always played WZA as a warmup playlist and I have a decent KD/Win rate using the standard Pistol for about 40% of my kills and selling my REQs more often than not. The introduction of Wasps at 4 was the first thing that really started to annoy me as someone playing as essentially a SR 1 player, but by then I had so many REQ points saved up it was easy to stockpile a bunch of plasma pistols and start upgrading to the BR with bonus vehicle damage.

Smh I saw you with that Nornfang.
  • Upvote (+1) 9