CyReN

Halo World Championship 2018 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Huke went to CoD, Ola left nV, TL split in two; Eco - Stellur and Penguin - Spartan. Roy retired & rest of EG disbanded(along with the org leaving Halo), Coach Phil retired.

Other than that it's speculations based on matchmaking/Str8 Sick; seems like Ola joined Saiyan and Trippey on LG. Splyce might have split, with Bubu joining LG, Shooter joining Ryanoob, and Shotzzy & Renegade joining Eco & Stellur(if they did idk if they'll be Splyce or TL). Snip3down & Mikwen have played tons with Spartan & Penguin, so that might be the new nV.

Basically everyone but Optic sent themselves back to the stone age. Standard.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

You don’t see Shottzy, Renegade, Stellur, and Eco able to contend? I’d say Stellur is a slightly better slayer than Bubu and Eco is just all around better than Shooter. I think that’s a really solid team.

Would you say “that’s a scary team” ?
  • Upvote (+1) 5

Yes, it's my job right now, so they definitely are a thing.

Funnily enough most of my content is focused on stuff from the older games, partly including H4, and people love it. Really speaks to what the masses want from Halo imo, even if it is a small sect of the overall casual Halo consumer base.

i c o n i c

• Upvote (+1) 1

You don’t see Shottzy, Renegade, Stellur, and Eco able to contend? I’d say Stellur is a slightly better slayer than Bubu and Eco is just all around better than Shooter. I think that’s a really solid team.

We'll see but every time you form a new team you take a gamble on chemistry, in game and out. You have to rework / relearn a lot of things to get on the same page whereas Optic is basically the constant final boss they have been since they formed. Not to mention you don't outwork Optic.

• Upvote (+1) 4

The entire concept of how free to play games usually work.

In most cases, there are two ways to unlock things: In-game currency, or real world currency. If you don't have time to play seriously, but you want to have the same experience as those who play often, you pay real world cash money dollars to catch up.

Do you have some sort of study to back this up? Its very counterintuitive. Logically you would assume someone who isnt very invested in a game wouldnt spend much additional money on said game.

I would argue that someone who cares about keeping up with competitive players isnt a casual player. Theyre a hardcore player that just doesnt get to play as much as they want to. People like that probably do spend a lot on microtranactions. A lot of people here probably fall in to that category.

The entire goal of the business model.

Most MT schemes target the player who doesn’t have the time or skill collect these items the old fashioned way.

Hardcore players spend a lot of time on game, and are usually better. So they are less likely to need MTs to collect. That said they still often get hooked-in by the gambling addiction angle.

Same thing I said to audely. I wouldnt classify those players as casuals.

Same thing I said to audely. I wouldnt classify those players as casuals.

So are you judging casual by their emotional investment or by their time spent playing the game?

I consider a casual player someone who plays only like an hour a day or a few hours a week, regardless of their emotional investment in the game.

People who work a 40 hour a week job, feed the kids, milk the wife, make love to the cow, and then use the little bit of "free" time to relax.  A non-casual gamer will shirk other responsibilities (or, not HAVE other responsibilities) so they can invest large quantities of time into the game, again, regardless of emotional investment.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Geeze, I go out of town for a couple days, come back expecting us to still be foaming at the mouth for MLG, and instead I get interesting off-topic discussion. 

So are you judging casual by their emotional investment or by their time spent playing the game?

I consider a casual player someone who plays only like an hour a day or a few hours a week, regardless of their emotional investment in the game.

People who work a 40 hour a week job, feed the kids, milk the wife, make love to the cow, and then use the little bit of "free" time to relax.  A non-casual gamer will shirk other responsibilities (or, not HAVE other responsibilities) so they can invest large quantities of time into the game, again, regardless of emotional investment.

The definition of a casual is an interesting question. Do we have to have only set of criteria for it though? I know people that have limited time, but are very invested in games (meaning they read up on them, follow news, and want to improve). I also know people that play a lot of games, but aren't invested in any of them (meaning they pick them up and put them down regularly for different periods of time). I think both factors are important to consider in the microtransaction discussion.

Anyone know of a good 4k gaming monitor on Amazon?

I'm wondering the same thing. I desperately want to upgrade. I'm wondering if it would be smarter to wait on HDR enabled monitors though.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Do you have some sort of study to back this up?

I said probably. Audley stated his bit as a fact.

People who work a 40 hour a week job, feed the kids, milk the wife, make love to the cow, and then use the little bit of "free" time to relax. A non-casual gamer will shirk other responsibilities (or, not HAVE other responsibilities) so they can invest large quantities of time into the game, again, regardless of emotional investment.

Casual vs hardcore is definitely based on emotional investment and viewpoint imo.

I only get to play a few hours a week due to adulting. I still consider myself a fairly hardcore gamer. When I get free time I view gaming as a fairly high priority. I generally care about winning and being half decent at games and I like challenging, deep games. I spend time on forums and reading gaming news as well.

I kmow plenty of people who play a lot but are casuals because they don't care about anything besides goofing around.

You're going to tell me some gold 2 who doesnt give a shit about winning or doing well is a hardcore halo player if he plays often?

• Upvote (+1) 1

If that Liquid team is real, that would be the best 4 players outside of Optic on the same team right?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

If that Liquid team is real, that would be the best 4 players outside of Optic on the same team right?

I feel like someone from Envy would have to be in the top 8 of Halo 5 players.. Leaning towards Snipedown. Idk what happened but the guy doesn’t get enough credit anymore. At the start of Halo 5 EG was still that dominant force until Lethul left. Snipedown won X Games gold and continuously placed in the top 3 after that with a few tournament wins and some dominant pro league performances. I feel like Huke got all the credit because he was a young gun but Snipedown 100% deserves recognition as a top 8 player in Halo 5.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Was really hopeful that the 4k version came in the 24" size for a sec, but it looks like it's limited to the larger 28" model.

The search continues.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025407

Here is something you might like. The response time is 5ms, not sure if you'd like that.

27-28in is generally good for 1440p-4k resolutions, but I understand as an old Halo player 24in has been standard for Halo for such a long time in competitive settings. When I switched to 27in I was put off by it. but I got used to it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

343 did a really great job balancing the AR and SMG they both are a lot harder to use now and I feel like precision weapons can easily beat them in close quarters if you are more skilled.

• Upvote (+1) 1

^^-oh. Idk that list doesn't do much to inspire confidence.

First Strike is Marty's studio right? Or the one Walshy works at?

^^-oh. Idk that list doesn't do much to inspire confidence.

First Strike is Marty's studio right? Or the one Walshy works at?

Walshy is a technical designer at First Strike, according to his twitter. It's not Marty's company. It seems like a group of 343 devs just split and created their own company about last year.

According to their website, the company focuses on multiplayer games.

• Upvote (+1) 2