Brutality

Weapon Tuning Exact Updates

i want to like this BR so badly but i just can't

^amazing quality feedback

edit: i like how you have to strafe more

That's not relevant to this discussion thread, which is about weapons in Halo 5.

you said halo not halo 5. also past games are always used upon for discussions especially with weapon balancing. so its relevant either way. 

i want to like this BR so badly but i just can't

^amazing quality feedback

edit: i like how you have to strafe more

And keep your feet in general.  without the crazy aim assist, aiming while jumping is definitely harder.  I seriously think the feedback is in, no more pussy footing around in an effort to "Get people used to it".  Remove the random spread so people can play with it this weekend.

you said halo not halo 5. also past games are always used upon for discussions especially with weapon balancing. so its relevant either way.

Context my man. Everything said in this thread is in the context of the Halo 5 weapon update. Still, nbd.

I want dmr starts now.

Agree, but with Recon DMRs though. The in-scope magnetism is still kind of crazy and I never liked the DMR's new ADS zoom, it's too much tunnel-vision IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I've played some bad gametypes, but whoever did Regret CTF and Statis Strongholds takes the cake.

And is the BR spread real? My friends and I thought we were going nuts.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Agree, but with Recon DMRs though. The in-scope magnetism is still kind of crazy and I never liked the DMR's new ADS zoom, it's too much tunnel-vision IMO.

if they insist on automatics having scope, they should give ADS to auto's and classic zoom to precision weapons.  That's a delineation that makes sense to me.  I was hoping that the return of classic scope for all precision weapons was going to be a thing....

I've played some bad gametypes, but whoever did Regret CTF and Statis Strongholds takes the cake.

And is the BR spread real? My friends and I thought we were going nuts.

so real.  I have given it a fair shake at this point and don't think i will be playing trying again until they update the playlist to fix the BR.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They're kind of trash, but I will take at least some sort of variety over playing Eden Slayer, Coli and Fathom Flag for the millionth time. We really need to get some new maps and gametypes into the rotation. Obviously not the shit gametypes you mentioned, but something has to happen. The game is insanely boring to play and watch.

They're kind of trash, but I will take at least some sort of variety over playing Eden Slayer, Coli and Fathom Flag for the millionth time. We really need to get some new maps and gametypes into the rotation. Obviously not the shit gametypes you mentioned, but something has to happen. The game is insanely boring to play and watch.

They need better maps and gametypes, when I see stuff like Regret CTF and Statis Strongholds - those are throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks kind of testing. I mean props for them attempting new stuff, but there's only so much leeway.

They need better maps and gametypes, when I see stuff like Regret CTF and Statis Strongholds - those are throwing stuff at the wall and hoping it sticks kind of testing. I mean props for them attempting new stuff, but there's only so much leeway.

I love Brown Truth and Snow Torque.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The best way I can describe the BR is that it feels like a pre-patch H2 BR. Perhaps the servers are just literal garbage but it sure feels like random spread. Its mostly fine at shorter ranges but when you start shooting anything with a little bit of distance random shit occurs sometimes. Random shit should never occur. You can do a lot of things like make controllable and predictable recoil, drop the RRR, even damage drop off over distances. Anything consistent if you want to limit the ability of the gun from range. What's stupid is when they try to do so by adding random spread that sometimes, randomly, still works correctly and other times doesn't. That doesn't add skill or anything enjoyable to the game. That is pure and unadulterated frustration for anyone with eyes and an understanding of what just happened and nothing more. Disregarding the feelings of the player the random spread is also an objectively inferior solution to making a gun worse at range because it just doesn't always work. Sometimes the bullets land anyways from distances you didn't want them to.

• Upvote (+1) 2

If anyone wants to turn the contents of this thread into a feedback thread, I'd love you. If not, @@Deez I hope you're reading this. This BR... No RNG in the burst, please. Every other change made, bar maybe the gunfighter magnum which seems bad now (though I may have simply not used it enough), appears to be good. However, for the love of all that is holy, spread is not something we need in H5. It was hated in H2, H3, and Reach's DMR. It does not belong in Halo. As said previously, there are better ways to make a weapon less efficient. 

Also, the AR post patch still seems too strong given the tap potential. Nothing seems to have been changed there, which imo is the bigger problem than spraying.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Seeing the difference between the old and the new BR has made me curious.

If these changes were applied in reverse in Halo 3 (as in removing the BR spread), how much better would that game have been?

Seeing the difference between the old and the new BR has made me curious.

If these changes were applied in reverse in Halo 3 (as in removing the BR spread), how much better would that game have been?

Talking about the spread removal and higher RoF: ten times better. I would love to see a spreadless H3 BR with a quicker burst.

Talking about giving the H3 BR the bullet magnetism of the H5 BR: ten times worse. I'd say the one thing Halo 3 absolutely nailed is the aim assist and bullet magnetism. Every weapon takes a decent amount of skill to use, even the AR and SMG when compared to their counterparts in the other games. It's a shame though that the aiming was kind of wonky and that with the exception of the Sniper Rifle no weapon had the damage output to justify this accuracy requirement.

And sadly the game would have still dropped shots like crazy online.

• Upvote (+1) 4
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I would contend that random spread is worse than bloom because at least you can control bloom rate, and you knew that (on the DMR anyway) a fully reset reticule would fire a center shot every time instead of anywhere else. Certainly, Reach's implementation of bloom made it far worse because of magnetism, the randomness injection, and how it slowed down the game, but, like Reach bloom, I'm still going to attempt to fire at longer ranges at people, and it's still going to be a dice roll as to whether or not I hit them, and other people will do the same, so the outcome of a gunfight will be random.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Can anybody upload a full gameplay with the new BR? I haven't actually seen it in action.

I had my DVR set to 5 minutes for some reason so here are a couple of 5 minute ones if you dont mind watching someone that is totally average.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Apoll0/video/36368579

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Apoll0/video/36368518

Edit: My connection is half decent in those games.  Trying to watch someone that has noticeable latency is painful.  Latency is always a shitshow, but the new BR exacerbates the problem.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Who asked for this? It's just not fun and doesn't address what makes the game bad. Consistent weapons that fire straight is not a problem.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Checked Vetoed's twitter and apparently the default BR did have slight linear spread.  you could absolutely NOT tell this with its default configuration because the bullet mag was so strong they would land in the same place anyway.  This is even more evidence to me that the ONLY thing the BR needed was a decrease to aim assist and magnetism and the rest would take care of itself.

Grrrrrr why overcomplicate things?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Is there any chance these settings won't be universal?

Nope.

Currently I either want dmr starts or gfm starts if the gfm is buffed to a 4sk-5sk.Nerf the sniper rifle and storm rifle just by reducing bullet magnetism.If there's any magnetism left on the gl, remove it.Cut the br's random spread and instead reduce bullet magnetism.I'd also like to see the AR tweaked in a way that gives it more of a skillgap.

Have the amount of spread gained for the first 3-5 shots be really low, and then have it expoentially increase to what you see here after that.

Have shots fired under a certain spread threshold deal 1.25x damage

Have locational damage: have headshots work even on shields, but also have shots to the arms or legs do only 75% damage. Make the headshot bonus scale inveresly with spreads, so you'll only actually get the full bonus for your first few shots.

Decrease aim assist and bullet magnetism the longer you fire.

Not my ideas for AR, all credit to jabborwock on Reddit.