CyReN

Halo Online Discussion

Was hoping to try to play it for the first time this upcoming weekend. Guess I missed out. I'm definitely a bit salty that they snuffed out the most interest Halo has generated in a quite some time outside of the regular Halo community bubble. 

Just so everyone knows, the actual consequences of what's happened are still in the air, and the ED servers will be staying online until further notice by the devs. Nobody from Microsoft has actually had any contact with the ED devs. The devs haven't decided what to do yet. If the C&D is entirely asset related, its still possible to comply without shutting off the servers (this has happened before). We'll see what happens.

Been studying for finals for the past week. Have only gotten in two good days of Eldewito.

Been looking forward to playing this weekend, all weekend. Get on TB for a quick second. Get terrible news.

I love searching for players for 10 minutes to get a map/gametype I may very well not want to play on MCC, rather than just picking what I want and not have to worry about quit bans on Halo Online.

Cunt McFiddle Dicks. Well shit. It was fun while it lasted.  Yeah yeah I know it was going to happen and that MS are doing it legally and aren't doing anything wrong and need to protect their IP yadda yadda, but fuck we finally had a classic Halo game after over a decade. It hurts just a bit. Even if it was only for a couple of days, people actually gave a shit about Halo for the first time in over half a decade. Guess I'll go back to playing literally anything that isn't Modernized Halo, just like the rest of the gaming community. If the popularity and exposure a modded Classic Halo game got Halo doesn't get 343 to realise that the old formula is better, nothing will. Eldewrito died so that we will know if Halo is truly dead.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Probably had the most fun with Halo I've had in years. Got my friends who haven't touched Halo since Reach to pick it up and give it a try. Whatever Halo gets announced at E3 better be amazing. Hopefully Halo Online shows 343 that classic Halo is what gets people excited. Was fun while it lasted though. Back to MCC I guess lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Fuck 343 and M$ I’m tired of their SHIT! This game wasn’t popular because it was a pc title. It was popular because it was a classic halo experience in 2018. It was a NEW halo game that respected the fucking HALO FORMULA which your shitty developers 343! Have REFUSED to RESPECT! Warzone wtf is this! All this sprinting and thrustering bullshit has ruined the game, it has put it in a state where people don’t even know wtf this is. When you play h2 or h3 hell’s even fucking reach people KNEW you were playing HALO. But you know what people ask me when they see me on h5? “Are you playing cod?” They didn’t do shit about this game when it averaged a 100 players but now it’s got 5k plus players(lol probably more than shitlo 5) they say something.

My gosh I hate M$ so much. Your PR was already bad but now it’s worse.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Halo 6 or a different type of halo game needs to be classic. No sprint no thrust no clamber, that does not mean halo 3.5(in halo online case it really is lol) that means a HALO game. Please stop ruining halo. No one gives a damn if they’re doing it legally. They should of done this years ago but didn’t think this game would spike up in players.

I look at halo online and think of ninja. Once an average streamer no on bats a fucking eye. Now he’s the #1 streamer on twitch, now everyone’s knows and loves him.

That’s what happened to halo online but 343/ms is worried the players on this game wont buy h6. Mother fuckers we weren’t buying that shit game anyway because we know what itlll have. The same shit we’ve been requesting the removal for, for 8 fucking years!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote (+1) 4

now If m$ releases this on the windows store and has these guys develop it futhrur that be great but we know that won’t happen

Can the dev's pull the good old "No u" so that 343 has to take down Halo 4 and Halo 5?

“No you” wtf are you talking about? Obviously no. Man they easily could port halo 3 to pc but they don’t want too. MCC(a working MCC I’ll add) on pc be great.
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Frankies statement 

Haha suckers it'll still be playable, it just will be really hard to find unless you know someone who already has it.

That's basically what Nintendo did with AM2R, but I'm not 100% convinced that's all there is to it.

http://blog.eldewrito.com/post/173283810663/microsofts-legal-action-and-the-future-of

Can We Still Play 0.6? 

Yes, absolutely! Play the hell out of it. Create more incredible forge creations. You can resume playing 0.6 as normal. It is important to note that ElDewrito itself is not being taken down - just any and all of Microsoft’s assets are. In the meantime, enjoy the great game that we have poured our hearts into. 

• Upvote (+1) 6

Does anyone know if people play sweaty or competitive games in this mod?  I heard there was like a ranking system or something?

there's no ranking system. just a progression system for a specific server afaia. 

People do get sweaty. see my screenshots from earlier. join any mlg server and there will be sweats. Mostly for 4v4 tho

• Upvote (+1) 1

http://blog.eldewrito.com/post/173283810663/microsofts-legal-action-and-the-future-of

Can We Still Play 0.6? 

Yes, absolutely! Play the hell out of it. Create more incredible forge creations. You can resume playing 0.6 as normal. It is important to note that ElDewrito itself is not being taken down - just any and all of Microsoft’s assets are. In the meantime, enjoy the great game that we have poured our hearts into. 

Isn't the entire game Microsoft's assets? I guess this part is kind of puzzling to me - is it clear what is Microsoft's assets and what are not?

Isn't the entire game Microsoft's assets? I guess this part is kind of puzzling to me - is it clear what is Microsoft's assets and what are not?

Yes, the entire game is. Pretty sure there is a law that you have to protect your IP or lose it (like they said in the blog). So what microsoft is doing is killing download links on mega and dropbox and such. That is them showing they are taking action to protect their IP. Obviously going after people who illegally downloaded it is crazy and not worth the effort. The server browser and the servers are not protected under their assets. OR any fan made skin and such. Eldewrito is not the one providing the game for people to download so they are in the clear. However they were told to halt their progress on their modification. The updates they've done to optimize the game do not fall under MS assets as it was not developed by MS. It's quite similar to buying a movie and using software to enhance the quality. It's only duplicating the tape that is against the law. Putting the software mod out there for other people to improve their own tape quality is perfect legal. 

so the situation for the state of halo online isn't about MS assets. It *appears* to be MS just following the law as they are required to. Similar things have happened to similar fan made games but it really goes both ways. sometimes the creators take down everything and kill their server or sometimes they just cease production. Going off what they told us, it seems to be the latter. Obviously the only way to get the game is through illegal sources so this is the touchy line. 

edit: MS can issue a shutdown for Eldewrito. They shouldn't because they shouldn't win but this has happened to other games because who is going to challenge MS/Nintendo/Sony/etc in court over something that they won't make money from? no one. So for right now, we're in the clear. Halo online won't grow at such a pace because downloading it will be harder. And MS might change their mind later on. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Does anyone know if people play sweaty or competitive games in this mod?  I heard there was like a ranking system or something?

Yes, the Ranked Servers are fairly competitive. The most competitive games I've had were in my own lobbies though. Hosting a match with your buddies can get downright cutthroat.

I love searching for players for 10 minutes to get a map/gametype I may very well not want to play on MCC, rather than just picking what I want and not have to worry about quit bans on Halo Online.

Quitting is still douchey in Halo online but i have never sat in a game for more than a minute without a spot getting vacated by a quitter being filled back up.

Frankies statement 

Haha suckers it'll still be playable, it just will be really hard to find unless you know someone who already has it.

This is what torrents were invented for amirite?

Seriously if you are going to save your installation somewhere, don't make it OneDrive lol.  Hopefully streamers can keep streaming without having an issue, but my guess is no.  Edit: To be honest i forgot about the whole "you have to protect it or you lose it" part of IP copy-write law.  The whole thing runs on top of Microsoft-funded core code so they had to do this.  Im going to choose to believe that it took 4 days to do because they were lawyer wrangling a way to go far enough to be "protecting their IP" but while shitting on people's birthday cakes as little as possible.  They could have easily done this with .5.1 too, but it was small enough then to claim ignorance and it simply isn't that small anymore.

I am going to keep playing it.

• Upvote (+1) 1