CyReN

Halo Online Discussion

Let me guess: you're playing with a controller.

Yes.  That shouldn't mean anything.

I just did a wall test and while I'm zoomed in there's a single bullet decal from about 100 ft away.  Firing from the hip shows some spread.  Whatever is going on, it's not 1 to 1 spread from H3.

I don't know what your talking about, mouse aiming feels good.  Way better than using a xim on xbox one which I tried before.

Also, for the server browser, wait for it to load completely and you get a working scroll, then select your sorts / server.  If you use it before it finishes completely it won't work.

Having a lot of fun on this so far, hope we get ranks at some point and a way to add friends, etc.

• Upvote (+1) 1

God damn Halo Online is fun as hell to play!

The slightly strange game modes (Narrows Oddball FFA anyone?) don't even bother me that much as long as there's no sprinty bois.

The server browser can be a bit laggy but as said, wait for it to load completely (or let it partially load then select 'Stop') and you're fine.

Also for anyone unsure how to download/install Halo Online, check out this 16 second how-to video: (can we pin that somehow?)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Can't seem to find a comfortable sensitivity with the mouse, I'm pretty close to plugging in the controller. My brother already has.

You might see me around getting my ass kicked in EU. Lot of fun though, been a while for Halo.

I don't know what your talking about, mouse aiming feels good.  Way better than using a xim on xbox one which I tried before.

Also, for the server browser, wait for it to load completely and you get a working scroll, then select your sorts / server.  If you use it before it finishes completely it won't work.

Having a lot of fun on this so far, hope we get ranks at some point and a way to add friends, etc.

I haven't had any mouse aiming issues yet either, except at the start when I had the crosshair lowered, I changed that and then everything felt fine. I guess it's a case by case issue like many things when PC gaming...

Even though the game isn't perfect, it's decent for what it is and makes me feel like I'm not quite ready to give up on Halo just yet. If only 343 saw the potential we saw when we think of Halo... Halo's biggest issue right now is that it has strayed too far from its 'simple gameplay' roots, the competitive community rightfully doesn't like features that don't fix or add anything to the formula to improve it, and the casual community don't like when things are too complex (e.g. too many gameplay mechanics, not to be mistaken with depth) so now we have a series that isn't really made for anyone, this is why I'll always advocate for Halo to be as competitive (deep) and simple as possible, because then it's a game made for everyone.

• Upvote (+1) 1

If you haven't had mouse aiming issues go play CS or Overwatch for a bit then come back and try again. Mouse aiming is bad, not H5 Forge bad, but still bad for a PC FPS.

Also, pro tip for the server browser. Just click Stop after about 1500 people and it's good. I think if they let you setup a default filter it would help immensely.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Also, pro tip for the server browser. Just click Stop after about 1500 people and it's good. I think if they let you setup a default filter it would help immensely.

We're in desperate need of filtering out full/empty servers, a ping threshold, and blocking out unwanted gametypes.

• Upvote (+1) 4

We're in desperate need of filtering out full/empty servers, a ping threshold, and blocking out unwanted gametypes.

Yeeeep. Friends options would be an absolute godsend as well.

"Team BR's ... 5/8 players ... it's French"

A favourites list for the server browser would be great too. Like the old Unreal Tournament days.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Yes.  That shouldn't mean anything.

I just did a wall test and while I'm zoomed in there's a single bullet decal from about 100 ft away.  Firing from the hip shows some spread.  Whatever is going on, it's not 1 to 1 spread from H3.

It means something because the game has tons of aim assist and magnetism with a controller, dude. lmao. Did you not notice?

Decals don't prove all that much.And even so, there's no reason you should have to zoom in to shoot straight. Again, not that it matters with a controller, which makes the game completely pointless for someone who actually wants to aim.

Can't seem to find a comfortable sensitivity with the mouse, I'm pretty close to plugging in the controller. My brother already has.

You might see me around getting my ass kicked in EU. Lot of fun though, been a while for Halo.

Don't even bother with a mouse. Any controller kid with half-functional thumbs will shit on you regardless, because this is a console game first and foremost.

Don't even bother with a mouse. Any controller kid with half-functional thumbs will shit on you regardless, because this is a console game first and foremost.

The controller aiming is even worse than Halo 5. The camera acceleration is so bad that higher sensitivities don't even feel different.

The controller aiming is even worse than Halo 5. The camera acceleration is so bad that higher sensitivities don't even feel different.

Fortunately, you basically don't need to move your giant reticle once you're facing the right direction, so it doesn't really matter that much. Halo 5 has the added problem of thrust actually forcing you the reacquire targets mid-fight.

It means something because the game has tons of aim assist and magnetism with a controller, dude. lmao. Did you not notice?

Decals don't prove all that much.And even so, there's no reason you should have to zoom in to shoot straight. Again, not that it matters with a controller, which makes the game completely pointless for someone who actually wants to aim.

Of course I notice. I'm saying it shouldn't matter because wall tests don't trigger AA to readjust your bullets. And if I can fire at a blank wall and still paint a single decal then that means the spread is not 1-to-1 with H3. And of COURSE I agree you shouldn't have to zoom in lmao I just don't believe them when they say the spread values as are identical because something is different. H3 didn't give zoom benefits with the BR.
  • Upvote (+1) 3

I'm astounded that there's 3000 concurrent players.  That doesn't sound like a lot even compared to Halo 4, but you really have to consider the context of those numbers.  Most indie shooters on PC fail to reach more than 500, so for this game to have this many players is just unheard of.

Anyways, decided to try the game out of curiosity.  I went in expecting a game made by console Halo fans who don't really get PC shooters, and while I was pleasantly surprised by a few things I'd have to say first impressions are it's more or less what I expected.

+Extensive, per weapon viewmodel customization.  This was a definite shocker.  A feature that very few PC shooters have even though they all should.

+FoV slider that goes all the way up to a reasonable 120.

+Pretty impressive forge given the circumstances.

+Raw Input...though the aim is wonky anyways.

-Mouse aim does not feel good, and I'm sure controllers have a significant advantage.  This should never be the case in a PC game.

-If you don't have a controller then half the menus require arrow keys and enter to navigate.  Frag like it's 1993, evidently.

-The server browser is incredibly sluggish, and also lacks a filter system.

-The menus love to bug out in general really.  Froze up one trying to adjust my sensitivity mid-game.

-Game is poorly optimized but that's out of their hands I'm sure.

-Can't bind to the F# keys.  Minor nitpick.

="Fix FPS Stutter" in options.  What is this?  Is it Vsync?  Then just call it Vsync.  Is it something else?  Why wouldn't I want to fix FPS stutter?  Confusing option.

=Sensitivity scaling seems wonky.  I'd have to actually measure it.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Of course I notice. I'm saying it shouldn't matter because wall tests don't trigger AA to readjust your bullets. And if I can fire at a blank wall and still paint a single decal then that means the spread is not 1-to-1 with H3. And of COURSE I agree you shouldn't have to zoom in lmao I just don't believe them when they say the spread values as are identical because something is different. H3 didn't give zoom benefits with the BR.

I'm not really arguing that it's identical with H3. I'm just saying it doesn't shoot straight.

Obviously, there should be no spread and intentionally adding it back is some 343-tier patch note action.

I'm not really arguing that it's identical with H3. I'm just saying it doesn't shoot straight.

Obviously, there should be no spread and intentionally adding it back is some 343-tier patch note action.

Oh, ok then we agree lol. Good.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can’t be denied aiming with a mouse sucks in this game. Sniping with a mouse feels good but everything else is shit and has been in previous updates.

Something feels slightly off with this update in the shooting department. 0.5 the BR and shot reg felt really great, recently it hasn't. 

Could be server issues for sure, but it's pretty frustrating.

Something feels slightly off with this update in the shooting department. 0.5 the BR and shot reg felt really great, recently it hasn't. 

Could be server issues for sure, but it's pretty frustrating.

hmm, i have had the exactly opposite experience.  Shot reg has been very good.  I have really only had one laggy game and i have played so much of this over the last 3 days lol. I was shocked at how stable it is honestly.  My single biggest gripe is the server browser.

• Upvote (+1) 1