CyReN

Halo Online Discussion

Takes a long time to load the browser but the numbers keep going up.  like 2800 people online earlier, now there are 36

This is what happens when a game that averages 100 players on weekends to thousands. 

Using a controller is super wonky. Like aiming just doesn't feel fluid at all.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Something something Halo 3

Something something Square aiming

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I agree but using a kb+m is 1000x worse. It’s physically impossible to outshoot good players when they use controllers and you use kb+m. The mouse aiming is just shit in every way for me. Really disappointed that I’m forced to use a controller to have fair fights on a PC game

• Upvote (+1) 1

I agree but using a kb+m is 1000x worse. It’s physically impossible to outshoot good players when they use controllers and you use kb+m. The mouse aiming is just shit in every way for me. Really disappointed that I’m forced to use a controller to have fair fights on a PC game

And that's exactly why mixing mouse/controller is a terrible idea. Aim assist mechanics should be disabled entirely along with the giant console reticles and spread/bloom on precision weapons. Aiming in Halo has always been about slightly nudging your aim assist once you're on target and a lot of left stick. The only thing in this game that feels decent with a mouse is the sniper.

Of course, this won't be addressed, because "ElDewrito" is blatantly about Halo 3 nostalgia and not being a good FPS, so the discussion is pointless.

"Halo was meant to be played with a controller." 

:walshy: 

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 9

I never miss a single headshot in Halo online that's how good the Aim and Aim assist is. I can cross map with BR something fierce normal Halo 3 wasn't capable of. Good Thumbs.

In fact before this update using mouse was Trash. there was engine acceleration you had to go out of your way to get rid off. I couldn't make a burst rifle headshot to save my Unborn child's life. i dont even know if that's fixed. I plug in my controller and climb the stat board again. Roflcopter.

I have never had a Diagonal Acceleration Problem in Halo 3. Ever. I have. In both Halo 1. and 2. Change my mind.

• Upvote (+1) 1

And that's exactly why mixing mouse/controller is a terrible idea. Aim assist mechanics should be disabled entirely along with the giant console reticles and spread/bloom on precision weapons. Aiming in Halo has always been about slightly nudging your aim assist once you're on target and a lot of left stick. The only thing in this game that feels decent with a mouse is the sniper.

Of course, this won't be addressed, because "ElDewrito" is blatantly about Halo 3 nostalgia and not being a good FPS, so the discussion is pointless.

"Halo was meant to be played with a controller." 

:walshy:

Your wrists are crying but my thumbs are Happy

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

First impression is very "meh". IMO Halo will never work with a server browser because there are just too many kiddies who love AR start FFA on High Ground or Infection on Sandtrap. Without playlists we will always be force to either play on a 150ms ping MLG game or the shittiest of shitty settings on a decent ping.

Also I can't help but think this 0.6 update is a missed opportunity. If MCC and H5 have taught us anything it's that game need to work at launch. They should have delayed it for another couple months, fix stuff like the server browser, add MM and make a damn .EXE that installs the game correctly without making us jump through hoops. The fact I still have to edit a .csv in the games' root folder to get rid of the 30 FPS cap and fix the server browser just tells me this is never going to go mainstream enough to have a decent population.

I know I sound like an ungrateful prick right now, because yes this is a fantastic piece of work and many people sacrificed many hours to get this happening. I know that and I have nothing but respect for the developers who made this happen, but the realist in me tells me this will die down very quickly again.

• Upvote (+1) 2

First impression is very "meh". IMO Halo will never work with a server browser because there are just too many kiddies who love AR start FFA on High Ground or Infection on Sandtrap. Without playlists we will always be force to either play on a 150ms ping MLG game or the shittiest of shitty settings on a decent ping.

Also I can't help but think this 0.6 update is a missed opportunity. If MCC and H5 have taught us anything it's that game need to work at launch. They should have delayed it for another couple months, fix stuff like the server browser, add MM and make a damn .EXE that installs the game correctly without making us jump through hoops. The fact I still have to edit a .csv in the games' root folder to get rid of the 30 FPS cap and fix the server browser just tells me this is never going to go mainstream enough to have a decent population.

I know I sound like an ungrateful prick right now, because yes this is a fantastic piece of work and many people sacrificed many hours to get this happening. I know that and I have nothing but respect for the developers who made this happen, but the realist in me tells me this will die down very quickly again.

It’s still pre-release.... it’s 0.6 build, not 1.0 and it made by the community. This is nothing like MCC or H5.

Sure it’ll die down, then it’ll pickup again once another milestone is hit- or MS issues C&D- whichever comes first.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Idk man. I played a bunch last night and it was pretty solid. Asking for some of these improvements from a volunteer team without source code is hard. At some point you have to set what you are considering as feature complete, polish and release or it will never come out.

I played a bit of 0.5.1 and it was... Meh. This is a solid solid improvement and I'm pretty impressed.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I've heard people are having issues with the server browser taking forever to load, anybody having issues with the server browser becoming completely unresponsive though? I wasn't able to select a server, but I could hit the quick match button. I would load into a game but I wouldn't be able to close the server browser, the only thing I could do was alt-F4 out of the application.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I've heard people are having issues with the server browser taking forever to load, anybody having issues with the server browser becoming completely unresponsive though? I wasn't able to select a server, but I could hit the quick match button. I would load into a game but I wouldn't be able to close the server browser, the only thing I could do was alt-F4 out of the application.

Yeah the game hangs a lot for me accessing menus and especially in the server browser.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Server Browser is a buggy sack of shit, almost impossible to use.  Takes more time to actually use it to get into a game with decent ping than you spend actually playing.

If you manage to find a game that isn't some AR starts horseshit, it can actually be pretty fun.

Not sure why they left a bunch of assets from other Halo games like H4 but it seems like a pretty ridiculous oversight.  Lots of weirdly picked sound effects, etc.

The game itself runs decent.  They should've held off this release.

• Upvote (+1) 4

For being made by a team of modders, this is great work. And like @@Mhunterjr said, this is just 0.6 and they still have tons of plans to go further with this. 

On a side note, there is a competitive discord for halo online where active 8s lobbies happen. Here's the discord, https://discord.gg/xgzDJMs

• Upvote (+1) 2

Nvm just had the greatest game on pit ever. A br that shoots straight in h3 ugh my god

It doesn't shoot straight, though.

Feels like it does

The patch notes specifically said that all spread/damage values from H3 were ported over.

The patch notes specifically said that all spread/damage values from H3 were ported over.

:stern:

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not doubting you or the notes, but I just did a wall test from considerably far away and when I'm zoomed in there's only 1 single bullet hole in the wall.  They all land together.  When I zoom out they have unique decals but still much, MUCH tighter than H3.  I'm basically cross map 4-shotting people every game.  There's got to be something different other than the change from projectile to hitscan with this game.

Whatever it is, it's all I needed to enjoy H3 again.  

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not doubting you or the notes, but I just did a wall test from considerably far away and when I'm zoomed in there's only 1 single bullet hole in the wall.  They all land together.  When I zoom out they have unique decals but still much, MUCH tighter than H3.  I'm basically cross map 4-shotting people every game.  There's got to be something different other than the change from projectile to hitscan with this game.

I mean maybe it is different but the spread wasn't all that extreme in H3. It was probably only a factor at insane distances because it was stacked with needing to also lead shots, basically no aim assist at distance, and a horrible netcode. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

its hitscan and not projectile, thats why.

I mean maybe it is different but the spread wasn't all that extreme in H3. It was probably only a factor at insane distances because it was stacked with needing to also lead shots, basically no aim assist at distance, and a horrible netcode. 

meh.  You would get that occasional 3rd bullet that just blew off into left field.  Any randomness is bad but yeah combining that with slow ass projectiles, 2007 internet and shitty shot reg in the first place was ass cancer.

If they could speed up this server browser, it would improve the game immensely.

its hitscan and not projectile, thats why.

meh.  You would get that occasional 3rd bullet that just blew off into left field.  Any randomness is bad but yeah combining that with slow ass projectiles, 2007 internet and shitty shot reg in the first place was ass cancer.

If they could speed up this server browser, it would improve the game immensely.

I'd like to think that a change from hitscan to projectile isn't enough to fool me, especially considering the Halo 3 BR projectile speed didn't even kick in until 60+ feet out when the spread was fat.  If the spread is actually 1-to-1 then the quality of netcode taken from the H4 engine in Halo Online must really be leagues ahead of what they used in H3.

I'd like to think that a change from hitscan to projectile isn't enough to fool me, especially considering the Halo 3 BR projectile speed didn't even kick in until 60+ feet out when the spread was fat.  If the spread is actually 1-to-1 then the quality of netcode taken from the H4 engine in Halo Online must really be leagues ahead of what they used in H3.

Let me guess: you're playing with a controller.