CyReN

Halo Online Discussion

As someone who has only read like 2 EU books, i'm fairly uneducated on this other than the ways in which the EU made the story of Halo 4 and 5 basically nonsensical, which is probably why i feel so strongly they need to abandon their attempts to incorporate it into the games.

I wonder how you explain a choice like that though? You are basically saying "these are good and make sense" and "These are shit and dont". I mean, i guess that's as good a reason as any, but the more logical choice from the casual audience perspective would be the main games exist in this universe, the EU exists in this other universe, but cutting out the nonsense from 4/5 sounds good too.....

Regardless, they have to do something to reign in the EU's influence on the main games and make them actually make sense again to the much larger audience of people that only play the games.

honestly the halo 4 story was fucking awesome. Chief comes back after 5 years of sleeping and finds a renegade faction of covenant is following the ways of the prophets since they still believed in the four runners. The didact aka the king of the four runners has been asleep for millions of years to finally be awoken. Remembering his deep hatred of humanity he decided to destroy them. In order to save the one she loved Cortana sacrifices herself.(then h5 ruins all the good h4 did) also within those 5 years oni realized how effective Spartans were at protecting humanity so they created the spartan 4s program. A ODST and spartan training is very similar it’s that Spartans had chemicals implemented in their bodies(Halseys Spartans) which genetically enhanced everything. But with the spartan 4 armors they don’t need those genetics since the spartan genetics were used in order for them to use the spartan suits or they would die(a normal person would).
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

honestly the halo 4 story was fucking awesome. Chief comes back after 5 years of sleeping and finds a renegade faction of covenant is following the ways of the prophets since they still believed in the four runners. The didact aka the king of the four runners has been asleep for millions of years to finally be awoken. Remembering his deep hatred of humanity he decided to destroy them. In order to save the one she loved Cortana sacrifices herself.(then h5 ruins all the good h4 did) also within those 5 years oni realized how effective Spartans were at protecting humanity so they created the spartan 4s program. A ODST and spartan training is very similar it’s that Spartans had chemicals implemented in their bodies(Halseys Spartans) which genetically enhanced everything. But with the spartan 4 armors they don’t need those genetics since the spartan genetics were used in order for them to use the spartan suits or they would die(a normal person would).

Eh.... Cortana should have stayed dead yes. Or get to halsey in time and transfer her consciousness to a new AI neural net or whatever.  I wouldn't have cared either way, but the way Halo 5 handled it was shit and halo 4 is partly to blame since the end game splitting off of her rampant personalities left the door open for a revival.  The Prometheans are shit enemies and super annoying to fight.  The art design is too rave-y.  The role of the Didact, Librarian and their relationship to one another is explained poorly.  That whole arc requires fairly extensive knowledge of the EU/an hour reading through a wiki to understand, which no main title should require.  Many aspects of the story are told mid-firefight, which can be fine as long as they are visually very obvious or told during "Travel sequences" so you can actually pay attention, both of which Halo 4 failed at.  I am not sure what the point of the elephant mission was.  Most of The Covenant faction not speaking english really robbed them of any potential personality.  And i don't want to hear any lore arguments about that because they spoke english for 4 prior games and nobody complained.

The best part of the game was the demonstration of the relationship between chief and cortana and how strong it was, forged by adversity despite the fact that chief had really only known her for a few weeks since you can't count cryosleep.  Would have been great if chief had been a little more insightful than just saying "Cortana.... Cortana" during a couple of the conversations though.  Still only a 7/10.  And the space battle at the end was pretty good, mostly because of the tight controls.

Edit:  I am not sure how this conversation landed in the Halo Online thread, but here we are haha

• Upvote (+1) 4

Try disabling "Fix FPS Stutter" in the options if you haven't already, that's Vsync, I don't know why they didn't just call it that, hopefully that helps.

some people are blatantly ignorant to the alleviations that Vsync and Framecapping actually bring. But will still consta complain about stutter and tearing like a child. I guess they just felt like deliberating an important graphics option because a lot of uninclined people who even play HO are like "uh wuht wye is gaem running bad"

• Downvote (-1) 4

some people are blatantly ignorant to the alleviations that Vsync and Framecapping actually bring. But will still consta complain about stutter and tearing like a child. I guess they just felt like deliberating an important graphics option because a lot of uninclined people who even play HO are like "uh wuht wye is gaem running bad"

To be honest Vsync helps the performance in every game I play, so I tend to keep it on, I don't really have the issues that other people tend to get when they have Vsync on for some reason. Computers are complicated.

To be honest Vsync helps the performance in every game I play, so I tend to keep it on, I don't really have the issues that other people tend to get when they have Vsync on for some reason. Computers are complicated.

In what way does V-Sync help your performance? All it does is force the game to render frames at specific intervals based on your display's refresh rate.

In what way does V-Sync help your performance? All it does is force the game to render frames at specific intervals based on your display's refresh rate.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to computers, I only started gaming on PC recently, but Vsync helps with the screen tearing and hitching that I get on certain games. I haven't really looked into any other ways to prevent that because turning on Vsync usually got rid of it with no noticeable draw backs, but if you'd like to enlighten me I'm all ears.

I've always felt my aim is WAY better without V-Sync. Less drag?

The simplified version:

V-sync fixes screen-tearing.  I.e. when the game displays two frames at once due to uneven framerate so for a split second you get this.

It fixes screen-tearing by limiting your fps to your monitor's refresh rate.  However it uses delayed frames instead of the latest frames your GPU puts out in order to do this, which causes input lag (sluggish aim).  Another negative is that if your fps drops below your monitor's refresh rate then the game rounds down your frame rate in divisibles of your monitor's refresh rate.  I.e. if your monitor is 60hz and you drop to 59 fps then the game will actually go all the way down to 30fps instead.  This can create massively inconsistent smoothness if you can't maintain FPS above 60.

Hence why most people leave it disabled and buy Gsync/Freesync monitors if they care that much about tearing.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Or turn the graphics settings down so you can stay above your monitors refresh rate.

Also pro tip - (this won't work for Halo online since its capped at 60) but if you have your framerate capped at your monitors refresh rate and see tearing, the fact that its capped might be the problem.  In an effort to maintain 60, it will actually hover between 59-60 assuming  your hardware would actually keep it higher which can produce tearing.  If your harware is capable of more than 60, turn the cap off/up.

Vsync is shit really.

I've always felt my aim is WAY better without V-Sync. Less drag?

V-Sync introduces display lag, because the game is forced to wait for the monitor. so that's probably what you noticed. Double buffered V-Sync is better, but has the drawback Ramirez mentioned. It will only output divisions of the monitor's refresh rate, making fluctuations below 60 drop to 30, and below 30 to 15, etc. Triple-buffered V-Sync is the best option. It will not do this and should have the smallest amount of lag of the V-Sync options.

That said, I disable V-Sync the vast majority of the time, particularly in any game that requires mouse aim, because I notice the difference immediately. The best option (beyond unlocked framerates) is a frame limiter, which some games have built in. At that point, screen tearing really comes down to frame timing (60fps doesn't necessarily mean 60 frames at exactly even intervals). Personally, I don't give a shit about screen tearing, so it's not a tough choice for me, but that's the main reason to use V-Sync/G-Sync/FreeSync.

• Upvote (+1) 1

G-Sync is tits. Highly recommend. The dropped inputs caused by V-Sync can be pretty annoying if you're playing games that really depend on frame rate.

G-Sync is tits. Highly recommend. The dropped inputs caused by V-Sync can be pretty annoying if you're playing games that really depend on frame rate.

If only gsync didn't cost a premium.

If only gsync didn't cost a premium.

Freesync doesn't. But I'm an AMD shill so what do I know

• Upvote (+1) 2

Freesync doesn't. But I'm an AMD shill so what do I know

I feel you, I have a freesync monitor right now. I was with AMD from the 6870(?) up until the 390x. The 480x/580x just weren't a worthy upgrade. They lowered PSU draw, with the same power of the 390x, but that doesn't do a lot for me. I waited until Vega while watching all of my friends upgrade to 1060/70's. Couldn't ever get my hands on one, massdrop had a sale on a 1080 for $450 and I was sold.

I feel you, I have a freesync monitor right now. I was with AMD from the 6870(?) up until the 390x. The 480x/580x just weren't a worthy upgrade. They lowered PSU draw, with the same power of the 390x, but that doesn't do a lot for me. I waited until Vega while watching all of my friends upgrade to 1060/70's. Couldn't ever get my hands on one, massdrop had a sale on a 1080 for $450 and I was sold.

Ahh, i'm still rocking a 380.  I play all my games on Low anyway, so it hasn't been an issue.  Still stays above 60 which is fine considering my monitor is only 60Hz.  Except for Halo 5 forge.  Considering the Xbox one is basically a closed-system x86 PC, windows 10 core and everything and uses AMD hardware, you would think H5 would be better optimized on PC....  I would LOVE to upgrade to a 1070+ or Vega 56+, 1440p, 144Hz monitor but that's not really in the cards right now....  By the time i have the budget we will probably have moved onto the next generation or 2. Vega 20 on 7nm maybe?

As someone who has only read like 2 EU books, i'm fairly uneducated on this other than the ways in which the EU made the story of Halo 4 and 5 basically nonsensical, which is probably why i feel so strongly they need to abandon their attempts to incorporate it into the games.

I wonder how you explain a choice like that though? You are basically saying "these are good and make sense" and "These are shit and dont". I mean, i guess that's as good a reason as any, but the more logical choice from the casual audience perspective would be the main games exist in this universe, the EU exists in this other universe, but cutting out the nonsense from 4/5 sounds good too.....

Regardless, they have to do something to reign in the EU's influence on the main games and make them actually make sense again to the much larger audience of people that only play the games.

i honestly don't think the issue is the influence the EU has, it's just that 343 hasn't figured out how to tell a good story in a game.

Halo4 did ALL of the villaim character development in a novel trilogy... and launched the game before the 3rd book was even out.

halo 5 was like the antithesis of that. it didn't really build on any threads from Halo4 or the novel trilogy. it was just a stupid fucking story pulled out of thin air. they briefly mentioned the domain as a Mcguffin, but it was never explored narrative.

so basically, my solution would be to pull a self contained story out of thin air, but don't make it fucking stupid this time. Sure they could have dumbass Lord Cortana as a backdrop, but for the sake of the game, tell the story of our local heroes trying to gain a foothold in a shitty situation- like Halo CE. though the greater forces of the covenant was a backdrop the story was focused on neutralizing the ring.

from there I'd try to find a new threat and a new thread to focus on, and just let forerunners fade into obscurity.

Ahh, i'm still rocking a 380. I play all my games on Low anyway, so it hasn't been an issue. Still stays above 60 which is fine considering my monitor is only 60Hz. Except for Halo 5 forge. Considering the Xbox one is basically a closed-system x86 PC, windows 10 core and everything and uses AMD hardware, you would think H5 would be better optimized on PC.... I would LOVE to upgrade to a 1070+ or Vega 56+, 1440p, 144Hz monitor but that's not really in the cards right now.... By the time i have the budget we will probably have moved onto the next generation or 2. Vega 20 on 7nm maybe?

I honestly wouldn’t upgrade to 1440p yet. The panels are all terrible, they have IPS glow, unless you wanna rock a TN panel. I’d probably wait on GPU prices to fall too, I sold my 390 for more than I bought for it new.

Watching people play this on Twitch with massive FOVs and the ugly-ass H4 weapons makes me physically sick.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Watching people play this on Twitch with massive FOVs and the ugly-ass H4 weapons makes me physically sick.

Define massive FOVs

• Upvote (+1) 2

The halo online MLG community? Has to be a joke. The remains of the halo MLG community is this forum.