CyReN

Halo Online Discussion

Trademarks are recognizable logos, designs, and expressions that identify a company or product. El Dewrito doesn't violate any of these. El Dewrito absolutely violates copyrights, but the discussion has been that Microsoft HAS to shut down El Dewrito or they will legally lose the IP, which isnt true because that only applies to trademarks.

It literally had Halo Online/Eldewrito as its title in the menu. It was using a trademarked title and copyrighted assets and distributing them illegally.

YoT9ZTQ.png

• Upvote (+1) 2

It literally had Halo Online/Eldewrito as its title in the menu. It was using a trademarked title and copyrighted assets and distributing them illegally.

YoT9ZTQ.png

Right, but they are trying to shut the whole thing down, not just have the mod team remove that one instance. I was simply stating that this whole shutdown isn't legally required which some people stated.

If they never dropped support of the game in the first place this would not be a problem. It makes zero sense why they just released a version of it in Russia of all places. MS/343 have no idea what they're doing with Halo anymore or who even plays it.

Imagine if it was released everywhere just like any other game, how popular and well-maintained it could be right now. But no, Microsoft is too dumb for that.

It was released in Russia first as a beta, as most other games tend to get that treatment with a smaller, F2P title in foreign countries. China's CoD Online being an example. I dunno if a lack of console sales or a good market for F2P games is a thing there, but a lot of companies outside of MS tap into Eastern continental areas with stuff like this that differs from our market. Arguably dumb, sure, but you can't forget that versions outside of 0.6 were literally P2W Halo 4/5 clones on Halo 3 maps. Halo Online as it was released in Russia officially is NOT Halo Online as it is, now. Given how we react to Halo 4/5 at a base, I call bullshit that it'd be somehow popular as a game here because it's Halo on the PC. Mind you, 0.5 and under only raked in a few hundred players back when it WAS that. It wasn't popular despite being just as easily accessible. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Right, but they are trying to shut the whole thing down, not just have the mod team remove that one instance. I was simply stating that this whole shutdown isn't legally required which some people stated.

No, they're not. They're just getting rid of download links, preventing streamers from broadcasting the title, and (IIRC) preventing further development on the title. We as a community can still play it all we want. It's not like they're plucking the files from our computers and clean sweeping the place, they're doing the bare minimum to protect their IP. It's entirely legally required if they want a hold on their IP. Unarguably.

• Upvote (+1) 3

They are not trying to shut the whole thing down - 343/Microsoft has asked El Dewrito to halt development and assist in removing code (ms23) that violates copyright protection. They haven't decided how to 'solve' this situation yet - they could very well come to a licensing agreement. Who knows. 

At the end of the day, IP is all a game developer has. Sure, there are certain situations where a developer might own game code and the publisher owns the IP, but given how fast the gaming industry changes relative to IP law - it makes complete sense to be proactive with your IP instead of reactive. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

No, they're not. They're just getting rid of download links, preventing streamers from broadcasting the title, and (IIRC) preventing further development on the title. We as a community can still play it all we want. It's not like they're plucking the files from our computers and clean sweeping the place, they're doing the bare minimum to protect their IP. It's entirely legally required if they want a hold on their IP. Unarguably.

Shutting downloads down a few days after release and stopping further development is basically shutting the whole project down. You can selectively enforce copyrights. If you had to legally enforce copyrights fan fiction, videos, fan art, etc, would all be getting sued left and right. Companies don't enforce those because it's free advertising. I'm simply saying that people should make their judgements based on this, rather than thinking Microsoft legally had to do this.

• Upvote (+1) 1

MCC PC all but confirmed.

31250442_10210178207486120_7783132660552

I know this was posted before but just in case people don't go back pages. Lol @ people surprised MS wants/needs to protect their own IP. They're publicly traded you know.

Shutting downloads down a few days after release and stopping further development is basically shutting the whole project down. You can selectively enforce copyrights. If you had to legally enforce copyrights fan fiction, videos, fan art, etc, would all be getting sued left and right. Companies don't enforce those because it's free advertising.

I don't get what selective enforcement has to do with this blatant misuse of copyrights and trademarks, but okay? Shutting the whole project down implies not being able to use it. When we're able to all we want. Updates are just stopped, as are continued downloads, as per the Reddit. Not like that'll stop torrenting sites being the hosts for it, though, lol. Until the moment where they actually kill the game, the project still exists and can be used.

• Upvote (+1) 1

They are required to stop the unlicensed distribution of their assets, which includes proprietary code. The only logistically sound way to do this would be stopping the distribution of the game or coming up with a licensing agreement.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't get what selective enforcement has to do with this blatant misuse of copyrights and trademarks, but okay? Shutting the whole project down implies not being able to use it. When we're able to all we want. Updates are just stopped, as are continued downloads, as per the Reddit. Not like that'll stop torrenting sites being the hosts for it, though, lol. Until the moment where they actually kill the game, the project still exists and can be used.

Yeah but this is almost the extent of what they can do about it. They couldn't just remove it from the internet if they tried. Since its Microsoft they could start trying to remove it with windows security updates if they really wanted to go in but that wouldn't be impossible to get around either

I understand the legal rights thing but why didn’t they do this 2 years ago! Fuck this lose IP bs. It’s an excuse since they didn’t do anything about it until .6 busted out 9k players which is about a 1m$ in player revenue

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Yeah but this is almost the extent of what they can do about it. They couldn't just remove it from the internet if they tried. Since its Microsoft they could start trying to remove it with windows security updates if they really wanted to go in but that wouldn't be impossible to get around either

Oh, sure. I'm not arguing extent, necessarily. Just saying, it's still usable, and the project itself isn't "dead" or shut down, even if updates cease given a large community still exists around it and can play it.

I understand the legal rights thing but why didn’t they do this 2 years ago! Fuck this lose IP bs. It’s an excuse since they didn’t do anything about it until .6 busted out 9k players which is about a 1m$ in player revenue

They did. There were many DMCA claims for Halo Online's original incarnations, prior to 0.6. You just didn't hear about them since the game wasn't popular at all until this mod, lol.

• Upvote (+1) 3

MCC PC all but confirmed.

31250442_10210178207486120_7783132660552

I know this was posted before but just in case people don't go back pages. Lol @ people surprised MS wants/needs to protect their own IP. They're publicly traded you know.

fuck these lying assholes! They won’t make a pc “classic” halo experience.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

fuck these lying assholes! They won’t make a pc “classic” halo experience.

Show us on the dolly where 343 hurt you.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I understand protecting your IP. I understand being upset that your game leaked. But lying to people's faces again and saying "we totally hear you that you want a classic experience on PC" is despicable at best. And that goes for both 343 and Microsoft. They don't have a clue what people want and they don't give a fuck either way:

We all know "classic Halo" has been in the shitter for a while.They have neglected the people wanting a classic Halo game for 8+ years now. The only things they're willing to give us is MCC aka the most broken video game in history and a few shitty classic playlists that they remove after two weeks. Bottom line: They do not give a fuck about classic Halo.

They care about Halo on PC? What a joke. CE was the last proper Halo game on PC and that came out 15+ years ago. H2V is one of the shittiest PC ports I've ever seen and the only redeeming qualities it has had to be added by modders (seems familiar?) Let's not even talk about the dumpster fire known as H5F, which they also abandoned by the way so the mouse aiming will always stay broken and the optimization will stay thrash forever. Halo Online was our only hope basically and the fact it took a dedicated team of modders, over two years of time and a massive leak to make that happen shows to what lengths we have to go just to get a decent Halo PC experience. And now they're shutting that down too. Lol.

I think it's time to replace "lmao this company" with "lmao this publisher".

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ikr tbh h2A wasn’t that bad as it still was a classic halo experience. But like you said Basu it’s part of MCC the most broken game ever. You don’t get a pass for trying to make things right 4 years later

• Upvote (+1) 1

Ars Technica article on the situation: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/how-halo-modders-overcame-a-dmca-and-perhaps-changed-the-series-pc-future/

Most notably:

343 then clarifies that Halo Online is not "abandonware" and that "many elements of that underlying code and content are still actively being used today and will continue to be in the future." But Microsoft didn't send anybody from ElDewrito a formal cease-and-desist. Those legal notices are apparently being aimed elsewhere: at video-streaming sites, and at anybody linking to Microsoft-owned files like ElDorado.exe. (As of press time, those EXE links have disappeared from the Halo Online Reddit community.) El Dewrito confirms that its Github repository isn't going anywhere: "Since ElDewrito itself is simply an open source mod and not a Microsoft asset, the mod itself will not be taken down."

and 

But Tuesday's announcement could be taken as a read-between-the-lines statement of intent. Xbox chief Phil Spencer added credence to that idea by disseminating the blog post via a tweet that selectively quotes parts about PC support for Microsoft. And 343 didn't need to write a lengthy response about ElDewrito—that post even goes so far as to list its version number, as if to slyly help clueless Googlers find the files themselves.

TLDR (but you should read the whole thing): Microsoft has basically done the bare-minimum to protect their IP.  They didn't "kill" the game.  In fact, there were 2300 people playing it earlier this morning.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, it's not shut down. People are killing the game even more by spreading that misconception around.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Ars Technica article on the situation: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/04/how-halo-modders-overcame-a-dmca-and-perhaps-changed-the-series-pc-future/

Most notably:

and 

TLDR (but you should read the whole thing): Microsoft has basically done the bare-minimum to protect their IP.  They didn't "kill" the game.  In fact, there were 2300 people playing it earlier this morning.

I was on last night playing along with 7000 other people. It doesn't seem like it's going anywhere

• Upvote (+1) 1

Yeah, it's not shut down. People are killing the game even more by spreading that misconception around.

When they made Shadowrun backwards compatible I'd say 75% of all the responses were "Did they turn the servers back on?"...

The servers were never shut off. I didn't play the game at launch myself but at some point that rumor must have spread around so widespread that it actually effected the games population.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Yeah, I'm still grinding but no one being able to create content or stream it kills the spread of growth. It will be a small niche community just like Halo in general.

• Upvote (+1) 2