CyReN

Halo Online Discussion

Yes, the entire game is. Pretty sure there is a law that you have to protect your IP or lose it (like they said in the blog). So what microsoft is doing is killing download links on mega and dropbox and such. That is them showing they are taking action to protect their IP. Obviously going after people who illegally downloaded it is crazy and not worth the effort. The server browser and the servers are not protected under their assets. OR any fan made skin and such. Eldewrito is not the one providing the game for people to download so they are in the clear. However they were told to halt their progress on their modification. The updates they've done to optimize the game do not fall under MS assets as it was not developed by MS. It's quite similar to buying a movie and using software to enhance the quality. It's only duplicating the tape that is against the law. Putting the software mod out there for other people to improve their own tape quality is perfect legal. 

so the situation for the state of halo online isn't about MS assets. It *appears* to be MS just following the law as they are required to. Similar things have happened to similar fan made games but it really goes both ways. sometimes the creators take down everything and kill their server or sometimes they just cease production. Going off what they told us, it seems to be the latter. Obviously the only way to get the game is through illegal sources so this is the touchy line. 

edit: MS can issue a shutdown for Eldewrito. They shouldn't because they shouldn't win but this has happened to other games because who is going to challenge MS/Nintendo/Sony/etc in court over something that they won't make money from? no one. So for right now, we're in the clear. Halo online won't grow at such a pace because downloading it will be harder. And MS might change their mind later on. 

People will start re-hosting it everywhere and that's prob when Microsoft gonna lay down the banhammer on all things.

Holy shit fuck 343 and microsoft on so many levels.

1. The brought this opon themselves by releasing one PoS game after the other and neglecting the PC fanbase.

2. Why did they wait until the modders put countless hours into this project and people got excited about it? 0.6 was a huge milestone for the project and of course 343/MS had to ruin it. They could have shut this down ages ago if they wanted to, but no. Shit like this makes my blood boil.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Holy shit fuck 343 and microsoft on so many levels.

1. The brought this opon themselves by releasing one PoS game after the other and neglecting the PC fanbase.

2. Why did they wait until the modders put countless hours into this project and people got excited about it? 0.6 was a huge milestone for the project and of course 343/MS had to ruin it. They could have shut this down ages ago if they wanted to, but no. Shit like this makes my blood boil.

as you can tell it does to me too. Like I said the ONLY reason they said shit was because of the population spike. Halo online been busting out a solid 8k population and that’s 8000*60 equals 480k if this were a 60$ game. And tbh it is not because they neglected the pc community I don’t believe that(least not 100%) I believe it’s because this is aTRUE halo experience. Not that halo 4&5 garbage. If they ported this to Xbox one that be great but we know they won’t.

I dead ass downloaded this last night to play too. I got on for a few minutes just to walk around and it felt, fast, smooth, you can aim properly on both KB&M AND a controller lol.

I can slightly understand but give me a break. No one profits off of this except the players who’ve been wanting

1) Classic Halo experiences.

2) A PC version that doesn’t play like ass.

(H2V was “okay” but still lacking in a lot of areas, mainly hit registration).

Shoutouts to the ElDewrito team.

It’s actually pretty crazy. Like a lot of people, I didn’t even know they were still working on this thing until it released a couple days ago. The fact this game has ~1200 servers and an active population of about 8-9K online is actually pretty ridiculous. With absolutely no advertisements or promotion.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I dead ass downloaded this last night to play too. I got on for a few minutes just to walk around and it felt, fast, smooth, you can aim properly on both KB&M AND a controller lol.

I can slightly understand but give me a break. No one profits off of this except the players who’ve been wanting

1) Classic Halo experiences.

2) A PC version that doesn’t play like ass.

(H2V was “okay” but still lacking in a lot of areas, mainly hit registration).

Shoutouts to the ElDewrito team.

It’s actually pretty crazy. Like a lot of people, I didn’t even know they were still working on this thing until it released a couple days ago. The fact this game has ~1200 servers and an active population of about 8-9K online is actually pretty ridiculous. With absolutely no advertisements or promotion.

Just so you know hit registration has been basically fixed with Halo 2 Project Cartographer

• Upvote (+1) 1

Just so you know hit registration has been basically fixed with Halo 2 Project Cartographer

Oh yeah, I was fully aware of all the improvements Project Cartographer did. They've been doing a lot of great work on that.

Frankies statement

Haha suckers it'll still be playable, it just will be really hard to find unless you know someone who already has it.

That stupidity is BREATH taking. If the common normie cant just fucking download off of a joe bloe website, Nobodys going to play it. have fun with your fucking 12 person Service

• Downvote (-1) 1

Fuck 343 and M$ I’m tired of their SHIT! This game wasn’t popular because it was a pc title. It was popular because it was a classic halo experience in 2018. It was a NEW halo game that respected the fucking HALO FORMULA which your shitty developers 343! Have REFUSED to RESPECT! Warzone wtf is this! All this sprinting and thrustering bullshit has ruined the game, it has put it in a state where people don’t even know wtf this is. When you play h2 or h3 hell’s even fucking reach people KNEW you were playing HALO. But you know what people ask me when they see me on h5? “Are you playing cod?” They didn’t do shit about this game when it averaged a 100 players but now it’s got 5k plus players(lol probably more than shitlo 5) they say something.

My gosh I hate M$ so much. Your PR was already bad but now it’s worse.

How dare they suggest that people can't distribute full, functional builds of their own games without their permission?! So unreasonable of them!

Just breathe. Everything will be OK.

I honestly astounds me, though it doesn't surprise me, that people are freaking out about this inevitable outcome. This mod is built on an unauthorized LEAK of a canceled game. It was distributed with the software and assets of that game. I would be surprised if that doesn't transparently violate the user agreement of the Halo Online closed test as well. They are being far more accommodating than they have any obligation to be. For all of the things to be pissed at this company for, this is one of the silliest. So, they derailed this hype train a week or two before it would have fizzled out anyway?

And it's not a new game. It's a (newish) dumpy version of Halo 3. That's why it's popular. Same reason MCC is the Halo 3 Collection. If this was just about "classic Halo" on PC, Project Cartographer has been in better shape for quite some time. It still exists, works better, and has a longer history of community mod support.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That stupidity is BREATH taking. If the common normie cant just fucking download off of a joe bloe website, Nobodys going to play it. have fun with your fucking 12 person Service

Eh, people can't find it now probably weren't going to play much to begin with. i'm sure everybody and their brother that read these statements is backing up their shit right now.

How dare they suggest that people can't distribute full, functional builds of their own games without their permission?! So unreasonable of them!

I honestly astounds me, though it doesn't surprise me, that people are freaking out about this inevitable outcome. This mod is built on an unauthorized LEAK of a canceled game. It was distributed with the software and assets of that game. I would be surprised if that doesn't transparently violate the user agreement of the Halo Online closed test as well. They are being far more accommodating than they have any obligation to be. For all of the things to be pissed at this company for, this is one of the silliest. So, they derailed this hype train a week or two before it would have fizzled out anyway?

And it's not a new game. It's a (newish) dumpy version of Halo 3. That's why it's popular. Same reason MCC is the Halo 3 Collection. If this was just about "classic Halo" on PC, Project Cartographer has been in better shape for quite some time. It still exists, works better, and has a longer history of community mod support.

This is pretty much your only post over the last 4 days that i can agree with lol.

I honestly totally forgot that IP/Copywrite law essentially has a 'defend it or lose it' clause.  They are legally required to take action like this or risk their IP rights.  I wish this had been paired with an announcement about hiring some of the Eldewrito devs to work on bringing MCC to PC, but lets be honest thats a pipe dream and even if its not, they need to act faster on defending their IP than it would take to iron out the logistics of a move like that.

• Upvote (+1) 1

This is pretty much your only post over the last 4 days that i can agree with lol.

I honestly totally forgot that IP/Copywrite law essentially has a 'defend it or lose it' clause.  They are legally required to take action like this or risk their IP rights.  I wish this had been paired with an announcement about hiring some of the Eldewrito devs to work on bringing MCC to PC, but lets be honest thats a pipe dream and even if its not, they need to act faster on defending their IP than it would take to iron out the logistics of a move like that.

There's literally no reason to bring Eldewrito devs in to port MCC - it's not like they are some professional studio with a specific expertise in this field. Doing so would be nothing more than a symbolic gesture, not a sound business decision. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

There's literally no reason to bring Eldewrito devs in to port MCC - it's not like they are some professional studio with a specific expertise in this field. Doing so would be nothing more than a symbolic gesture, not a sound business decision. 

Of course there is a reason.... I'm not saying they should just throw their interview and vetting process out the window.  THAT would be a shitty decision, but If the Eldewrito devs are good at what they do and 343 is porting MCC to PC (a HUGE "and" of course.  I doubt that is happening) it would make perfect sense.

Of course there is a reason.... I'm not saying they should just throw their interview and vetting process out the window.  THAT would be a shitty decision, but If the Eldewrito devs are good at what they do and 343 is porting MCC to PC (a HUGE "and" of course.  I doubt that is happening) it would make perfect sense.

That's just not the way your post came across to me I guess - you mentioned 343 should have announced bringing in Eldewrito folks like the studio has some responsibility to them to uphold. Sure, if they want to apply at 343 and are qualified by all means, but the onus of action isn't on 343. Hope that makes sense. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Interesting tweet from Phil Spencer.

Holy shit, the comments on this tweet are eating away at my soul. People raging that Halo may come to PC..... What is wrong with people :mj:

• Upvote (+1) 1

This. Everything is alright. This was expected by some given the circumstances. Everyone playing Eldewrito should continue playing Eldewrito.

http://blog.eldewrito.com/

Damn straight. SCP Containment Breach coming to a Halo 2 Vista near you.

unknown.png

Even though it might not last long Halo Online is the most fun ive had playing halo in like 10 years.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Alright this is some bullshit. 

EDIT: I get that it's an automated process and the ban is only 24 hours... a shorter time period than it would take to actually appeal... but it's still dumb that content creators have to deal with it. 

• Upvote (+1) 5

EDIT: I get that it's an automated process and the ban is only 24 hours... a shorter time period than it would take to actually appeal... but it's still dumb that content creators have to deal with it. 

Yikes

Here's that giant leap backwards we've come to expect in Halo, right on schedule.

• Upvote (+1) 3

i wonder if summit will get banned too

i wonder if summit will get banned too

If he get's banned, will Halo Online get more free publicity?  :thinking: