Hard Way

What is the worst mechanic in a multiplayer game ever?

I like to think of my Titan as my tag team partner when I play. Contrary to the game's namesake, I really don't care about piloting the Titans that much, and prefer to let them support me while I fight enemy Titans Attack on Titan style. So exhilarating putting cocky players down that way.

I never piloted the Titan in the first game.

I only pilot the Titan in the second because I like the gameplay the Tone offers with the tracking rockets.

Probably sprint or ADS, simply because they do nothing but make games worse and ever since they became popular, most games apparently have to feature them to qualify as a "modern" shooter.

• Upvote (+1) 3

After some consideration, I think that I will go with the Hand of Jehuty from MGSV.

See, Sprint at least has an in-combat trade-off. You can wait out Armor Lock. You can at least pace your shots with Bloom. You can easily skeet-shoot a Jetpacker. You can get up shortly after tripping in Smash Bros Brawl, and hell, with weapon sway you can at least get lucky. You could even probably avoid claymore traps or auto-turrets if you see them, assuming the killtime isn't instant.

Sure, all of those above mechanics have a clear negative effect with their implementation, but there is usually always at least a way to 'deal' with them and '#adapt'.

But I haven't seen anything that beats the uncounterability of the Hand of Jehuty in MGSV.

Now, in MGS, knocking people out by non-lethal means is part of the core gameplay that you can expect right? And there is a stun immunity for a couple seconds after you wake up to balance that. And although you can use certain ranged weapons to knock your opponent out, you at least have to move close to your opponent to grab him right? And yes, in this game, getting to CQC your opponent generally means you win that fight since one way or another you got close enough, fast enough before he wakes up(which can otherwise be surprisingly hard), if you don't want the point detriment of lethally killing him.

However, the Hand of Jehuty says screw all of that. It is a gadget for your arm that shoots a projectile up to 30 freaking meters away that grabs whoever it hits and instantly teleports them right in front of you within melee range to do whatever you so choose. And in the process of teleporting them? It also disorients the enemy character for a good few seconds and renders them literally unable to move or do anything at all. And what is even worse? The teleportation disorientation effect completely ignores the wake-up stun-immunity period and gets you anyway. And this gadget also essentially has unlimited battery power that regenerates over time.

So what is the big gamebreaking deal with all of those traits, that surpasses all of the bullshit previously mentioned? The Hand of Jehuty stunlock. What you do is knock out your opponent from range, get within 30 meters, Use the HoJ to teleport him to you while he is knocked out, wait/force him to wake up, grab him with the broken HoJ, and CQC knock him out. Then, you can rinse and repeat the troll to your hearts content and farm all the points off of him that you want. And the person being stunlocked literally can't do anything to stop it unless you somehow mess up this relatively easy task. To actually kill him is to have mercy.

Here is footage of this cancer:

https://youtu.be/ffXDTNMkQPo

MGSV may not technically be a competitive PvP game, but it's online 1v1 attack/defend PvP/E FOB mode that is perpetually linked to the main singleplayer game should still count for this thread.

And this is THE #1 most anti-fun mechanic I have ever seen in any game I've played or heard of that allows PvP gameplay in any form. I think that one would be hard-pressed to find something worse than this IMO.

• Upvote (+1) 6

Armour Lock.

- Player is invincible.

- It remove sticky grenades that are stuck on the player.

- It lasts so long that the shield recharges

- It removes enemy shields around it when it comes out.

- It slows down gameplay to a halt

- If you get out of it, you are still invincible whilst the animation finishes and this causes people meleeing you to "miss".

- It is the worst thing I have ever seen implemented in a game ever.

Spartan Charge is deplorable but Armour lock is unforgivable.

The fact that it was in the early MLG settings still baffles me.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"appeal to the casuals" bullshit narrative

• Upvote (+1) 1

It was literally only tested for the sake of saying they tested it. Kasey and Anakin had no interest in implementing it.

• Upvote (+1) 4

That was a rough time to be helping test things with MLG. They definitely made an effort to try a lot of things even though they had no intention of using them which is cool until you're playing some lame shit in a lobby with them for a couple hours

Probably sprint or ADS, simply because they do nothing but make games worse and ever since they became popular, most games apparently have to feature them to qualify as a "modern" shooter.

On its face Armor Lock is probably the worst of all time, but as you point out the cancers of Sprint and ADS have been very far reaching and as such have definitely had a worse impact than Armor Lock across games in general.

The fucking Swagger attack from Pokemon Stadium 2. Attract as well. Fuck those attacks. I lost so many battles due to those.

The fucking Swagger attack from Pokemon Stadium 2. Attract as well. Fuck those attacks. I lost so many battles due to those.

I liked swagger. More often than not they just boost your attack and it backfires on them.

I'd like to nominate every grenade in Destiny for worst mechanic ever. Especially the ones that track you for like 30 seconds

• Upvote (+1) 1

I liked swagger. More often than not they just boost your attack and it backfires on them.

I'd like to nominate every grenade in Destiny for worst mechanic ever. Especially the ones that track you for like 30 seconds

I don't know man.. Fist of panic is pretty stupid. There's a lot of really cheap mechanics in that game lol.

A few random weapons that popped into my mind.

Cerebral Bore from Turok 2 is one of my favorite weapons in general, but is by far the easiest weapon to use in the history of mankind.

The Nukes from the BattleTanx games on N64.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I don't know man.. Fist of panic is pretty stupid. There's a lot of really cheap mechanics in that game lol.

Fist of havok is literally the least problematic super in Destiny lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know it's early w Destiny 2, but so far it cracks me up in that it tries to do away with all the bs of Destiny (cuts way back on snipers, shotguns, heavy ammo, grenades, supers, e.g., cheap crap in general) and so it seems to be heading back to Halo roots. But then, it ends up being boring (and super team shootie) because the maps are bad and there aren't power weapons on map, so it lacks the strategic interest and the ability to come from behInd. It's like Bungie still doesn't know what made Halo good (as further evidenced by what they did in Reach, the game where they "accomplished everything they wanted for the series" (there was some quote like that.)) If Bungie doesn't know what made Halo good I doubt there's hope for 343.

As far as my nomination for bad mechanics I still have to go with sprint because of its impact on soooo many aspects of the game. Once it's in it has a way of infecting the whole dam game. At least w things like armor lock they're easy to disable. But sprint ruins maps and a whole host of other thIngs that aren't easy to correct.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'm not sure how the algorithm worked but I swear once I got to those last few battles of the cup, it would screw me over 9 times outta 10. I never did beat the game fully sadly.

In a game full of free killing spree roaming supers, FoH is near the bottom on the annoying scale.

A few random weapons that popped into my mind.

Cerebral Bore from Turok 2 is one of my favorite weapons in general, but is by far the easiest weapon to use in the history of mankind.

The Nukes from the BattleTanx games on N64.

Haha I was about to post both of these.

In a game full of free killing spree roaming supers, FoH is near the bottom on the annoying scale.

Thoroughly disagree lol. I think the only one that's cheaper than FoH is Golden Gun. 

Nova Bomb is incredibly dodge-able. Blade Dancer can just be melted. Sunsinger res is stupid but it's only a problem in Trials. Titan Bubble in PvP is a non factor really. Just don't run into the bubble lol.

FoH all you have to do is run into an area, not aim a single thing and press the A button. That's ridiculous lol. At least the tracking void grenades for example, you can just outrun. I'll take tracking grenades over FoH any day of the week.

Thoroughly disagree lol. I think the only one that's cheaper than FoH is Golden Gun.

Nova Bomb is incredibly dodge-able. Blade Dancer and just be melted. Sunsinger res is stupid but it's only a problem in Trials.Titan Bubble in PvP is a non factor really. Just don't run into the bubble lol.

FoH all you have to do is run into an area, not aim a single thing and press the A button. That's ridiculous lol. At least the tracking void grenades for example, you can just outrun. I'll take tracking grenades over FoH any day of the week.

Blade dancer was by far the most op super for the first 2 years of Destiny. Nova bomb is literally a better foh in every way. More range, bigger splash, longer lingering area denial, more damage.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Blade dancer was by far the most op super for the first 2 years of Destiny. Nova bomb is literally a better foh in every way. More range, bigger splash, longer lingering area denial, more damage.

Meh.. OP is kind of a stretch. I mained Blade Dancer for those first two years and people used Gun Slinger for a reason.

And no, it’s not. It has a larger range and radius but it’s ENTIRELY more avoidable than FoH. It’s significantly slower and entirely more reactable than FoH. You have a very small window to realize FoH is coming out whereas Nova Bomb, a simple teleport in the sky will avoid instant death. Now you may be shot down immediately being low health but that’s a different argument.

So better in every way is completely false because you can’t charge in and Nova Bomb immediately. You have to 1) aim it.

2) not kill yourself with it.

3) Try to catch people off guard with it because it’s reactable due to how slow it is.

Fist, you can literally run in a room and press A before anyone sees you and kill them instantly. Not to mention I’m almost positive the lingering effect that you can add on it is almost as long.

Nova bomb is literally a safer, longer ranged FoH. The setup for it is practically meaningless. Lance and tribomb, unless you see it coming from a CONSIDERABLE distance away, make NB basically undodgable at most engagement ranges.

FoH might be faster, but it's also incredibly limited and puts the player at much greater risk. Not to mention has the weakest killing spree potential out of all the supers (barring Defender, of course).

Even Bungie themselves admitted FoH was underwhelming.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I know you meant to type something else, but I'm liking this as a new naming convention for Spartan Abilities.

Spartan Charge - - - > Melee of Panic

Thruster Pack - - - > Side Step of Panic

Ground Pound - - - > One Hit Kill of Panic

Sprint - - - > Arm Pumping of Panic

Hire me 343

• Upvote (+1) 5

If you look up the top 100 Destiny players, about 75 are hunters, 20 are warlocks, and the last 5 or so are striker Titans

I think that info is a bit outdated. But I wouldn't be surprised if the majority is still Hunters.