Hard Way

What is the worst mechanic in a multiplayer game ever?

Some really good shit here. Kill streaks are up there for me. I remember when CoD 4 came out and I was really trying to like it bc my friends loved it. I remember playing Dom on Wetwork and having an actual strategy of keeping a guy back to build a kill streak and get the first chopper. I remember thinking it was gay as fuck, and it only got worse from there. Seeing people brag about KD in a game where the AI literally gets a huge portion in of your kills for you is the saddest thing I've seen in shooters. I don't know how people could spawn under a Pavelow 3 times in a row and still take the game seriously.

• Upvote (+1) 5

Some really good shit here. Kill streaks are up there for me. I remember when CoD 4 came out and I was really trying to like it bc my friends loved it. I remember playing Dom on Wetwork and having an actual strategy of keeping a guy back to build a kill streak and get the first chopper. I remember thinking it was gay as fuck, and it only got worse from there. Seeing people brag about KD in a game where the AI literally gets a huge portion in of your kills for you is the saddest thing I've seen in shooters. I don't know how people could spawn under a Pavelow 3 times in a row and still take the game seriously.

Don't forget to nade yourself and respawn before calling in the chopper so the chopper gets you another chopper #meta

• Upvote (+1) 6

I'm still convinced Sprint is the death of halo. I get a bit confused when people say they don't mind it. It just destroys the pace of the game. Clamber is annoying too but certainly not armour lock level.

The Farsight in Perfect Dark is a bit of a joke.

"Juice" in Monday Night Combat is the equivalent of TF2's Uber along with Quakes' Quad Damage. There's a couple ways of exploiting the mechanics to obtain juice, but the developers also made it available to purchase at hubs in the middle of the map for an incredibly cheap price. Kill streaks earn you money bonuses, so you can go fly into their base, juice and kill the entire team, fly back to the middle, buy it and repeat.

Armor Lock can go fuck itself.

Promethean Vision as well

Personal Teleporter or equipment in Quake

Tripping in Smash

Ultras in SF

That run/jab mash in Mk/UMK3

I'd rework anti-magic generators from Shadowrun

There's definitely more. I forget a lot of the perk names from CoD. 

Oh here's a random one. In Diablo 2 you could make a golem if you were a necromancer. One of them was an Iron Golem and needed some sort of armor/weapon to sacrifice. I remember playing with people who would kill a boss and summon a golem on the drop before anyone can get it. Why? No idea but I won't ever forget that.

What would you do to AM's in Shadowrun @@Teapot?

I like the concept of them in the game but I feel their purchase cost is too low for their value. You can change a bunch of different things but I have no idea what solution is best till you do a bit of play testing. Part of the problem with the AM's outside of my opinion on their price is the fact that they can mess up teleports from across the map just by being in your vision.

Keep their low cost but make the AMG's a single use item.

Raise their cost significantly, to like $3000 but let them function as they already do.

Rather than giving you 4, only give players 2 to reduce the amount on the map.

theres a bunch of small little tweaks I could make that I think would create a better risk/reward value. The AM meta removed strangle from the game almost completely, as well as made dwarfs useless.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It's hard to decide, but all I can really say is that the MW trilogy was a hellspawn of absolutely insane abilities, particularly in MW2 and MW3.

We can't forget the OMA/scavenger noobtubes, which could be paired with danger close. Could've passed as a kill streak for all I know.

Final stand is a literal upgrade of the tiered 3 perk, last stand. This death steak allows you to use your primary weapon and equipment instead of only your pistol once you sustain enough damage, and if you survive for 20 seconds, you're automatically revived. Gotta love that E3 announcement for MW3 in celebrating the removal of last stand while excluding the return of FS, lol.

Dead man's hand is the awful return of martyrdom as another death streak in MW3. You detonate a C4 by firing (like a regular weapon) or by being shot at after entering a last stand pose. The blast radius is so huge that your chance of escape is absolutely nullified, especially if you mistake DMH for another final stand player.

From painkiller (health boost) to revenge (which revealed your killer's location), these death streaks are some of the more gamebreaking parts of MW2/MW3.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Ancients (Ice Barrage) in Runescape also used to be pretty fucking cheap. Luckily now you can melt those assholes with rangers but good god was that annoying when it first came out lol.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I like to think about it this way.. If Halo Reach had Sprint, Bloom, Armor Lock, and Spartan Charge.. What would you dislike the most? Compounding with the fact that Bloom literally makes it harder to kill people, people mindlessly sprinting at you and spartan charging you and then instantly headshotting you without any bloom effect (since it would be your first shot) would be the most OP thing on the planet.

Obviously I know this is hypothetical, but just thinking about this scenario makes my blood boil which makes me give the title to spartan charge lol.

cNElqlWi8V.gif

Don't even joke about that...

• Upvote (+1) 6

May I present you the greatest button 

SPfqsSl.jpg

Edit: ok maybe footdive or level 3 buster tbh

Firebrand-Skrull shell >>>>>>>>

Bloom makes everything else look as minor as cosmetics. Shit was the worst thing in any halo by FARRRRRRRRRR

Pace your shots and adapt scrub.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Tripping in smash bros brawl has to be the one of the worst video game mechanics of all time. Your character will just fall in his ass for no reason whatsoever, totally random.

The phase shift in Titanfall 2.

Everything added in Reach - H5.

2 piecing in gears.

Smoke stun in gears.

• Upvote (+1) 7

OMG Gears 2 had sooooo many things that were awful. Tagging grenades to walls, smokes knocking you on your ass, the horrendous new weapons...ugh I hated that game.

OMG Gears 2 had sooooo many things that were awful. Tagging grenades to walls, smokes knocking you on your ass, the horrendous new weapons...ugh I hated that game.

*Puts entire Lancer clip into enemy*

*enemy turns around and fires 5 lancer shots that kill you*

Was I killed by lag or did I miss something?

never know if I'm doing damage in Gears because they blood/hit effects register even if the shots don't.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I vividly remember ejecting my disc in the middle of a game, turning the silver side up, spitting on it, and hucking it at the wall. Fuck that game.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Sprint. Compared to most of the other new Halo mechanics it's one of the least obnoxious, yet it's the most detrimental to flow and map design. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Flinch is the most annoying imo. Random and happens everytime i'm trading in a gun battle...not ok. 

Unconventional response; but basing mechanics off LORE instead of FUN, engaging gameplay.

That's all in line with developers who sacrifice gameplay for graphics or story or anything like that. Its never a good idea because the primary purpose of a game is to enjoy the gameplay. Call it an interactive movie or something if that isn't your main focus as a developer. Stupid shit like bungie going 30FPS in 2017 is always an extremely poor decision.

Like if you have this really cool mechanic but that awesome effect the art team added for it prevents the game from playing at 60 FPS what do you do? Sucks for the art guy but the crisp feel of the game is more important than his light show. Go post up a painting on tumblr or something. When the dev goes to 30 FPS instead they're just making the game worse. Some will say that's a pretty arbitrary thing to do by just deciding 60FPS is the standard in this example but the only thing you really have to realize is that its always relative to common hardware and the associated output. Obviously when 144hz refresh rates are the norm (or greater) people will expect more than 60. I'm already living that life on PC but sometimes developers make me realize that they somehow think its okay to deliver sub par performance in 2017 because that was acceptable on hardware from over a decade ago. Its not.

The blue shell in Mario Kart.

Why the fuck should someone in near-last place randomly fuck over the leader in a way that doesn't really help them take over the people between them and the leader?

• Upvote (+1) 8

I hate anything in an FPS that can operate autonomously and kill you on behalf of a player. This includes proximity mines, claymores, sentry turrets, helicopters, dogs, etc.

The only example I can think of that doesn't bother me is a Titan in Guard Mode with Assault Chip. Just because I know that I was very much to blame for the death, and that the enemy pilot is sacrificing a lot to get kills like that.

• Upvote (+1) 7

I hate anything in an FPS that can operate autonomously and kill you on behalf of a player. This includes proximity mines, claymores, sentry turrets, helicopters, dogs, etc.

The only example I can think of that doesn't bother me is a Titan in Guard Mode with Assault Chip. Just because I know that I was very much to blame for the death, and that the enemy pilot is sacrificing a lot to get kills like that.

This. Over the years I have gotten used to helicopters and shit in CoD, but the mines in Battlefield and any form of auto sentry just makes me rage to no end. Such a cheap underserved kill and it's becomes such a staple of genre at this point, ugh.

I hate anything in an FPS that can operate autonomously and kill you on behalf of a player. This includes proximity mines, claymores, sentry turrets, helicopters, dogs, etc.

I like to think of my Titan as my tag team partner when I play. Contrary to the game's namesake, I really don't care about piloting the Titans that much, and prefer to let them support me while I fight enemy Titans Attack on Titan style. So exhilarating putting cocky players down that way.
  • Upvote (+1) 2