Hard Way

What is the worst mechanic in a multiplayer game ever?

Anyone remember how NFL Blitz and NBA Hangtime would kick the CPU into hyperdrive if you were winning by too much? Lmfao that used to make me so mad.

Anyone remember how NFL Blitz and NBA Hangtime would kick the CPU into hyperdrive if you were winning by too much? Lmfao that used to make me so mad.

I remember playing NBA Jam TE(the precursor of Hangtime) against people in the arcade. I knew the code to turn off computer assistance and would always enter that in before every game, so I wouldn't get screwed over in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I never lost with that BS off.

My choice for worst mechanic in video game history is probably default Reach armor lock. Spartan charge is very close though. And default Reach bloom is straight cancer. Halo 4's culmination of terrible mechanics make it the worst game of all time for me though, with Halo 5 not being much better.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I'd still shit on them lol. I hated how in NBA Jam, one of the programmers made it so that Chicago couldn't make any shots in the last like 10 seconds of the game if you're playing Detroit because he hated Chicago lol

• Upvote (+1) 1

I'm inclined to go with Reach's Jetpack.

Armour Lock and spawning with Camo are up there, but Jetpack gave the middle finger to map design, allowed for ridiculous exploits of safe zones, let players escape maps entirely on occasion, and eventually dominated the Arena meta because there's literally nothing you can do but fight fire with fire when fire is equivalent to an organised and aggressive teamshot from ludicrous angles.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I remember playing NBA Jam TE(the precursor of Hangtime) against people in the arcade. I knew the code to turn off computer assistance and would always enter that in before every game, so I wouldn't get screwed over in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I never lost with that BS off.

My choice for worst mechanic in video game history is probably default Reach armor lock. Spartan charge is very close though. And default Reach bloom is straight cancer. Halo 4's culmination of terrible mechanics make it the worst game of all time for me though, with Halo 5 not being much better.

Computer Assistance. That phrase was like a swear word for me for years and nobody knew wtf I was talking about.

I'm inclined to go with Reach's Jetpack.

Armour Lock and spawning with Camp are up there, but Jetpack gave the middle finger to map design, allowed for ridiculous exploits of safe zones, let players escape maps entirely on occasion, and eventually dominated the Arena meta because there's literally nothing you can do but fight fire with fire when fire is equivalent to an organised and aggressive teamshot from ludicrous angles.

So much this. I remember being low % Onyx and all the top teams would fucking spam jetpack. Is was the most cancerous gameplay I've ever witnessed. Ended up quitting Reach completely after that.

So much this. I remember being low % Onyx and all the top teams would fucking spam jetpack. Is was the most cancerous gameplay I've ever witnessed. Ended up quitting Reach completely after that.

I forget the name of the one map, but good god was the jetpack annoying on the map that had that lockout style tower in the corner, and it was just one big runway towards the sniper that was directly next to the lift. It was so annoying having to look straight up in the sky when people took that lift and used the jetpack and if their teammate was in a good spot top middle or something, they could just wreck you because you're too busy looking directly in the air.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Pretty much any comeback mechanic. Deathstreaks are a serious contender for me.

Also, Rage (Tekken and Sm4sh), X-Factor, V-Trigger, etc.

For Halo, bloom for sure. Followed by Sprint and Armor Lock.

So many times I've been teamed killed by X-factor level 3 Virgil. Shadyk takes partial blame -_-

• Upvote (+1) 2

So many times I've been teamed killed by X-factor level 3 Virgil. Shadyk takes partial blame -_-

Will anything in Halo 6 make this thread? :intel:

• Upvote (+1) 8

Ce0OMLpUkAA1Cml.jpg

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anything that involves rewarding a player for 1) sucking, or 2) running a train on their opponent. 

In-game "rewards" should be given for accomplishing tasks that are difficult in and of themselves. 

• Upvote (+1) 4

Anything that involves rewarding a player for 1) sucking, or 2) running a train on their opponent. 

In-game "rewards" should be given for accomplishing tasks that are difficult in and of themselves. 

You don't like getting a medal for every single button press?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Personally, I fucking despise Battlefield 3's suppression system. Flinch is one thing, but blinding me and shitting on my accuracy when you're not even hitting me is another.

Oh you, you want to return fire at that guy shooting at you? Fuck you, now have your bullets go out of your barrel at a 90° angle. So awful.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You don't like getting a medal for every single button press?

No. 

...Wait. 

No. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

Personally, I fucking despise Battlefield 3's suppression system. Flinch is one thing, but blinding me and shitting on my accuracy when you're not even hitting me is another.

Oh you, you want to return fire at that guy shooting at you? Fuck you, now have your bullets go out of your barrel at a 90° angle. So awful.

I could have gotten behind it if it were only LMG's that did it. Support sucked dick in that game. They could have used it and it would have made sense.

The ar lowering the frame rate in ce so its harder to aim the pistol is a pretty shit mechanic. (lol).

actually wait. fuck the 180 glitch in ce. The manual one is manageable but when you get hit by a nade/rocket and your shots come out sideways, it's the most frustrating thing in the world because its not every time. it's just fucking random

• Upvote (+1) 1

ADS/iron-sights the bane of the modern FPS... let me explain. ADS is designed to partition game-play, giving users the ability to handle movement and tracking separately, in order to create a shallower learning curve and by default a lower mechanical skill ceiling as moving+shooting in uniso used to be the primary skill that separated noobs from vets in FPS games. By making movement and shooting separate, devs have eliminated the "problem" as they see it by separating the two essential skills in a FPS game essentially making players target galleries forcing the player into a tunnel vision of staring down a gun scope that takes up 3/4's of their screen instead of the agile, complex, in depth movement+movement physics and marriage of moving+shooting tactics and tricks featured in 90's and early 2000's FPS games. As a result, FPS of that era 99 percent of the time have significantly higher learning curves and skill ceilings than their modern counterparts.

Games that focus on primarily ADS-focused gun-play have slow player movement by means of necessity. This lowers the skill ceiling as slow targets are easier to hit and you must become a slow target yourself to hit anything, strafing becomes almost a non-issue. Non-hit scan projectile weapons, some of the highest skill-gap weapons in the FPS dating back to Quake, are also eliminated from Sandbox's along with about 90 percent of the potential for true Weapon variety and depth as Hitscan bullet hoses are now the only weapon that fits the linear and generic style of play that the ADS design choice forces upon the FPS.

Ironsights would be perfectly legitimate in most FPS if all they did was offer a zoom, possibly but not necessarily at the expense of some movement speed. This would mean skilled players would probably ignore them (especially if a movement penalty is applied) but anyone who wants them (teh COD audience lol) would get them. The problem with iron-sights lies not in "realism", it lies in the average execution which is anything but realistic, skilled, or inducing of interesting, varied, encounters and simply shit in terms of balancing-skill factor.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Armour Lock.

- Player is invincible.

- It removes sticky grenades that are stuck on the player.

- It lasts so long that the shield recharges

- It removes enemy shields around it when it comes out.

- It slows down gameplay to a halt

- If you get out of it, you are still invincible whilst the animation finishes and this causes people meleeing you to "miss".

- It is the worst thing I have ever seen implemented in a game ever.

Spartan Charge is deplorable but Armour lock is unforgivable.

• Upvote (+1) 2

May I present you the greatest button 

SPfqsSl.jpg

Edit: ok maybe footdive or level 3 buster tbh

• Upvote (+1) 1