Sign in to follow this  
Supermelee24

heavy aim is still not fixed!

Which is the exact opposite of its meaning. If you misuse the word, you've said the exact opposite of what you're trying to say, and you sound like a fucking idiot, and you should be shamed by society until people stop doing it.

My thoughts exactly.

One is historically correct, the other became "correct" because the dictionary people heard so many people say it that way (and used an erroneous source to justify it).

I wouldn't be surprised if the official pronunciation of "ocarina" gets changed because 90% of people nowadays can't be arsed to enunciate the first syllable.

This is actually THE reason there are so many similar, but different languages- regions slowing changing shit over time by pronouncing/using it 'wrong'... after a while it "becomes correct."

Humor is not "right" it's humour. But it was actually humor before that, but it meant moisture. But it was humere before that and was used to talk about bodily fluid. So basically the spelling, pronounciation and meaning of a word changed over time as people started using it "incorrectly"

In reality, language is democratic- whatever people come to accept is "right"

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is actually THE reason there are so many similar, but different languages- regions slowing changing shit over time by pronouncing/using it 'wrong'... after a while it "becomes correct."

Humor is not "right" it's humour. But it was actually humor before that, but it meant moisture. But it was humere before that and was used to talk about bodily fluid. So basically the spelling, pronounciation and meaning of a word changed over time as people started using it "incorrectly"

In reality, language is democratic- whatever people come to accept is "right"

Now I just need another example of people unknowingly using a word to mean the exact opposite of its meaning. Then I might not hate people as much.

Now I just need another example of people unknowingly using a word to mean the exact opposite of its meaning. Then I might not hate people as much.

How about a phrase?

I could care less....

I get so triggered when people say that when they really mean, "i COULDN'T care less"

• Upvote (+1) 6

How about a phrase?

I could care less....

I get so triggered when people say that when they really mean, "i COULDN'T care less"

You should of known better my dude.

• Upvote (+1) 4

I could care less....

I defiantly agree

• Upvote (+1) 6

I defiantly agree

Did i just loose this argument?

@@Hard Way is going to come in here and develop a permanent twitch...

• Upvote (+1) 4

Did i just loose this argument?

@@Hard Way is going to come in here and develop a permanent twitch...

Murder impulse rising.

I have PM'd a user on this site about his constant use of "should of".

Another one I see on Halo sites all the time is "dominate" when they mean "dominant".

• Upvote (+1) 2

Murder impulse rising.

I have PM'd a user on this site about his constant use of "should of".

Another one I see on Halo sites all the time is "dominate" when they mean "dominant".

You think that's bad? People can't tell the difference between a remake and a remaster. I guess people really are too stupid to realize a game that was re-made from the ground up, isn't the same as a game being remastered on the same engine, just with enhanced graphics and other add-ons. I, too, hate people, myself. Sometimes.

It's amazing how this thread went from how heavy aiming feels in Halo 5, to common grammatical and spelling errors in the English language. Maybe one of us should make a thread dedicated to annoying verbal ticks.

Democracy doesn't work with a lazy majority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbing_down

Ironically, you used the l "dumbing down" which is itself slang that has become universally accepted over time

As it refers to language, i don't think the alternate spelling of reticle/reticule had anything to do with "dumbing down" because it isn't any intellectual issue, is a phonics issue. Spellings are just chosen because some guy decided a certain assortment of letters recreates a specific sound.

If you read academic texts from today and academic texts from 200 years ago, you'll find a ton of words spelled differently.

Ironically, you used the l "dumbing down" which is itself slang that has become universally accepted over time

"Dumbing down" isn't slang in the Urban Dictionary sense. It's an exact description of what it is.

As it refers to language, i don't think the alternate spelling of reticle/reticule had anything to do with "dumbing down" because it isn't any intellectual issue, is a phonics issue. Spellings are just chosen because some guy decided a certain assortment of letters recreates a specific sound.

"Reticle" and "reticule" have two distinct pronunciations. It is my hypothesis that the latter spelling has become popular because the former's pronunciation is slightly more difficult.

If you read academic texts from today and academic texts from 200 years ago, you'll find a ton of words spelled differently.

There's a difference between simplification for ease of reading and changing the spellings and meanings of words because people don't know any better. Also, these changes have become more rapid in recent decades, even moreso in recent years, I suspect because the value placed on the ideals of the lowest-class citizens has been elevated, In other words. it has become more widely accepted to talk, dress, eat, and behave like a slob.

• Upvote (+1) 1

How about a phrase?

I could care less....

I get irritated when people correct me on this one.

"I couldn't care less." Means I don't care at all.

"I could care less." Means I have some semblance of care, just not enough to justify any more energy to care more.

Both of these statements are valid, with subtle differences in meaning. I know damn well what I said if I say one or the other.

I get irritated when people correct me on this one.

"I couldn't care less." Means I don't care at all.

"I could care less." Means I have some semblance of care, just not enough to justify any more energy to care more.

Both of these statements are valid, with subtle differences in meaning. I know damn well what I said if I say one or the other.

The thing is, when you say "I couldn't care less", there is a fixed reference point of not caring at all. But if you say "I could care less", the amount you're caring is not known, just that there is some level of caring. One's an absolute statement, the other is incredibly vague. More specific terms such as "I don't care much", "I sort of care", or "I care a lot" are way more useful.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Can we get back on topic how shitty the aiming still is? With the lower AA and bullet mag on the BR I get shitloads of windmilling in the Weapon Test playlist. Unplayable.