Gobias

Hitmarkers Yes/No Poll - All or Nothing

Hitmarkers Yes/No  

110 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to choose, would you rather have hitmarkers (including grenade hitmarkers) or have no hitmarkers of any kind?

• I would prefer hitmarkers, including grenade hitmarkers.
    • I would prefer no hitmarkers whatsoever.

We have had the conversation about grenade hitmarkers many times, and the majority of the competitive community seems to agree that they harm gameplay--you can read a whole thread about it here. And ideally we would have normal hitmarkers, but hitmarkers for delayed-damage weapons like grenades and rockets would not be displayed.

But what if you had to make an either-or choice? Say you're a design lead at 343 and this of course was the last thing on your mind leading up to launch. You don't think you have time to code in an exception for grenade hitmarkers, so you have to choose between "hitmarkers" and "no hitmarkers."

Now, personally, I think that the shield flare visual serves the purpose of normal hitmarkers and would be just fine assuming you're not firing blanks very often, or else you could make the shield flare more obvious. But what do you think, is it worth the trade off?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anybody who votes for the first option should punch themselves in the face

Agreed. Such an easy choice.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Anybody who votes for the first option should punch themselves in the face

That's a lot of faces to punch on Waypoint.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Hit markers are fine. In real life if you toss a grenade in a room full of hostiles somebody is bound to scream or yell out and you'll know somebody's in there. Hitmarkers are Halo 5's way of balancing out the sensory realism.

/thread

One of the top upvoted posts on WP hitmarker thread.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I voted for hit markers, but only because I prefer them for weapons. At times when you shoot at someone and you get no reg, not seeing a hit marker proves it. Just in general I prefer the visual cue. I couldn't care less about grenade hit markers, I'd rather have them gone.

/thread

One of the top upvoted posts on WP hitmarker thread.

Do not remind me about that heresy. Be sure to punch his face for me.

The shield flaring up is already enough of an indicator, I feel hitmarkers are really only useful for burst style weapons but I don't really like those in the first place.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I have no problem with weapon hitmarkers, especially for online play.

Grenade hitmarkers are incredibly dumb and never should have been added.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I am a casual player and even to me hitmarkers are completely unnecessary.  As others have already pointed out the shield flare already communicates that your shots are hitting (making the shield flare more noticeable is a nice idea), and getting free information from random grenade throws is just garbage.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Removing nade hitmarkers and leaving weapon hitmarkers seems like the easiest decision 343 has moving forward.

I think the gray area of projectile weapons should be discussed a little more.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd like to remind everybody that if you live somewhere with shitty ping like @lgs cubanex then weapon hitmarkers are really useful.And those 7 people that voted for nade hitmarkers need to punch themselves.Edit: auto correct did me a major disfavor there.

• Upvote (+1) 2

I'd like to remind everybody that if you live somewhere with shitty ping like @lgs cubanex then weapon hitmarkers are really useful.And those 7 people that voted for nade hitmarkers need to punch themselves.Edit: auto correct did me a major disfavor there.

I don't know why people keep equating hitmarkers to hit detection and registration. The game on your end could be feeding you hitmarkers, but not actually registering. Lag doesn't suddenly change this. I see it on a consistent basis in every game with hitmarkers.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't know why people keep equating hitmarkers to hit detection and registration. The game on your end could be feeding you hitmarkers, but not actually registering. Lag doesn't suddenly change this. I see it on a consistent basis in every game with hitmarkers.

H5 literally doesn't do this. Hitmarkers come from the server, so if you see one, you hit them. That's why hitmarkers are often delayed on high-latency connections.

I hate when I hear people raging about getting hitmarkers and people not dying.

• Upvote (+1) 6

H5 literally doesn't do this. Hitmarkers come from the server, so if you see one, you hit them. That's why hitmarkers are often delayed on high-latency connections.

I hate when I hear people raging about getting hitmarkers and people not dying.

Well when you ate lagging you do get hit markers when aiming at their head and you won't necessarily kill them because their head wasn't really there. My internet is beyond fucked and this happens constantly. And there are times where you will get a hitmarker when your reticle is above their head, then move your reticle down and somehow get the headshot. So idk.

Well when you ate lagging you do get hit markers when aiming at their head and you won't necessarily kill them because their head wasn't really there. My internet is beyond fucked and this happens constantly. And there are times where you will get a hitmarker when your reticle is above their head, then move your reticle down and somehow get the headshot. So idk.

Living the DSL life, trust me I understand. I guess I just tend to assume everything is going to count as a body shot.

Living the DSL life, trust me I understand. I guess I just tend to assume everything is going to count as a body shot.

It gets crazy on bad connection but in all honesty lots of people have God tier internet and if they slow the clip down they just missed so I get it. Can't trust these kids.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

I think anyone with an IQ above 23 can agree that hitmarkers on explosive weapons and grenades are incredibly dumb.

As for weapon hitmarkers, personally I despise them because they are just another one of these tiny details that makes modern Halo blend right in with the generic FPS crowd even though we've had a way more elegant and cool solution with the shield flare in the OG games and Reach.

I do see the argument that people with shitty connections might have a slight benefit from hitmarkers in knowing whether or not their shots are registering, but to me it's much more important to make Halo stand out as a unique FPS again. This has to include the removal of sprint, clamber, ADS and all forms of hitmarkers. Halo not only plays like TF/CoD/BF at this point it also looks the part and it seriously hurts my brain to watch H5 gameplay because of that.

• Upvote (+1) 3

I think anyone with an IQ above 23 can agree that hitmarkers on explosive weapons and grenades are incredibly dumb.

As for weapon hitmarkers, personally I despise them because they are just another one of these tiny details that makes modern Halo blend right in with the generic FPS crowd even though we've had a way more elegant and cool solution with the shield flare in the OG games and Reach.

I do see the argument that people with shitty connections might have a slight benefit from hitmarkers in knowing whether or not their shots are registering, but to me it's much more important to make Halo stand out as a unique FPS again. This has to include the removal of sprint, clamber, ADS and all forms of hitmarkers. Halo not only plays like TF/CoD/BF at this point it also looks the part and it seriously hurts my brain to watch H5 gameplay because of that.

What's so bad about ADS compared to zooming in? You still get descoped so I don't see a problem. Maybe the ADS on autos, that's kinda crazy.

I just want the pistol to actually zoom in, like the silenced pistol. For one it looks better, makes halo stand out more. The aim down the sights also adds an element of difficulty which debatable doesn't increase the skill gap. Just an annoyance. 

And Yes grenade hit markers should be taken out. 

What's so bad about ADS compared to zooming in? You still get descoped so I don't see a problem. Maybe the ADS on autos, that's kinda crazy.

It's functionally almost identical, but ADS covers up a portion of the screen compared to classic zoom. More importantly though, it makes Halo extremely generic looking and on some weapons it's downright ******** that they have zoom now. (e.g. Sword and Hammer) The first time I saw the H5 gameplay leak I literally though it was a troll that uploaded a CoD trailer with a shiny filter over it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It gives an accuracy bonus and this isn't cod so that "stuff" can fuck off.
  • Upvote (+1) 2