CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

I feel like this is the 1st time NA players have complained about an EU event. Is it because of ATL or is it just because a rule has been put in place?

• Upvote (+1) 1

Region locking has been done in SC2 with great success (or at least better than all events being open) ... non-Koreans still had a chance to compete against Koreans, but there were a few region lock events to build up the regional scenes as well

I feel like this is the 1st time NA players have complained about an EU event. Is it because of ATL or is it just because a rule has been put in place?

I heard that the reason why EU players got flown to this event is because they never got their own finals while having 60 something thousand raised for it. So they basically used that money towards paying for their NA flights/accommodations. 

Not sure how true that is though. 

Region locking has been done in SC2 with great success (or at least better than all events being open) ... non-Koreans still had a chance to compete against Koreans, but there were a few region lock events to build up the regional scenes as well

E L A B O R A T I O N

i don't like how the HCS london situation was handled, 343 kinda threw the eu guys under the bus

• Upvote (+1) 9

Agreed, should have been handled much more carefully.

I feel for the EU guys on this one. I see their point.

They went from two seasons of regular season placing payout & finals money ($67k), to a season of making way less and getting hate for "stealing" money and champ spots (that weren't asked for) from NA at ATL. They now receive even more hate for turning down NA teams for HCS London when the likely scenario is, if that were to happen, they would get $0 from regular season placing (there is no league, it's open cups) and potentially $0 from the finals also. Like it or not but EU pros, like most NA pros, are only still playing the game for the money.

The logical solution to this situation is having two prize pools for HCS London; one for EU, one for NA. But this complicates things all around. Where does this money come from? Does NA take a chunk of EU prize money? How is this information explained to the viewers? Competitors? General public? Is there enough money for it to even be viable for NA teams to fly over?

I'm all for international LANs in the future. I think it's awesome for the scene and looks great, kinda like a global pro circuit. But I'm also ok with this one being an EU regional. Other games have regional / international events also and it's a good system. I do feel sorry for the EU guys trying to get paid and make up for lost money especially when most people will just look at it as "LOL EU INFERIOR REGION" "Isn't it meant to be a competition???" "DO THEY EVEN WANT TO IMPROVE" when it's a lot bigger than that. Ignorance is bliss.

(FYI: I'm of the many who would love to see NA pros compete at EU events. As I've said countless times on these forums & to pros at events, NA gameplay + EU production is the dream.)

It's a living document. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

When they do get to NA, put them in seeding pools so they can get at least 3 series against NA pros in pools, plus 2 more in the bracket. Instead of just getting a quick 2-0 in bracket + more lans.

EU needs to help themselves a bit too. stop cutting off practice early for dinner for starters haha

Eu teams shouldnt be getting free champ bracket spots at NA tourneys. Let them get the first seeds in open and earn it like everyone else. It's not hcs job to make eu teams better.

By far? hmm I disagree. I think it goes:

Saiyan

Trippey

APG/Ninja

Apg is miles better. Hes been a 4th-6th player the majority of h5 and was arguably the 2nd best on all thise teams. Ninja has been a liability on every team hes been on. His stats in scrims preATL were abysmal. It was clear he couldnt do pc and halo at the same time.

It was selfish to both halo and h1z1 teams

Eu teams shouldnt be getting free champ bracket spots at NA tourneys. Let them get the first seeds in open and earn it like everyone else. It's not hcs job to make eu teams better.

Apg is miles better. Hes been a 4th-6th player the majority of h5 and was arguably the 2nd best on all thise teams. Ninja has been a liability on every team hes been on. His stats in scrims preATL were abysmal. It was clear he couldnt do pc and halo at the same time.

It was selfish to both halo and h1z1 teams

Ah some more super accurate Gunranger analysis.
  • Upvote (+1) 4

-snip-

I just think there should be a way where everyone gets paid decently, and I think it's stupid to not encourage growth or competition because NA is so "dominant", and thus let the cycle continue forever.

How can we expect EU to get better otherwise? but I see the money issue, and honestly if you're only in it for money I understand that viewpoint.

It's just a shame.

Is this EU tournament their season final or is it just an open tourney like Daytona? If the former, I understand region locking it. If it's the latter, that's kinda bullshit.

Cwl birmingham was a 50k tournament and it was only for europeans. Building a self sustaining population for lan tourneys is important for getting better both for players and for the region. Na teams complaining about not going are being childish

Why is Tashi flexing on Instagram like he's done a single goddamn visible thing to improve the HCS?

7e72ff587071bbc15589c58a96b360e7.png

• Upvote (+1) 11
  • Downvote (-1) 4

The logical solution to this situation is having two prize pools for HCS London; one for EU, one for NA. But this complicates things all around.

The even more logical idea in that scenario is to combine the 2 pools and make it an open that pays out more than top 8.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

In Starcraft it works because the non Koreans are more watchable and people prefer to watch the foreigners than to watch no face Koreans. In Halo people prefer to watch NA over EU so the most skilled players are the most popular ones.