CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

When are people going to stop saying "Halo is dead"? It's not dead and it's not going to die. It is Microsoft's top exclusive franchise and they will never let it die.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Everyone keeps saying this, but crouch strafing + 60fps + thruster + pistol has created a giant 1v1 skill gap in H5 (such that Lunchbox and whoever else aren't able to win 1v1s against most of the teenage pros). I'm literally garbage at Halo and could 4-shot people all the time in H2. I agree that sprint + ground pound + spartan charge are effing terrible though

First of all, 60fps and crouch strafing would be just fine in a simpler Halo game, assuming the aiming was tight--not sure why you threw those examples in there.

But as much as you can say Halo 5's enhanced movement has created such a high skill gap among the best players, I think it has created a much higher skill floor. The number of inputs required to be competent is insane compared to Halo 1 and Halo 3, the most competitive and most popular installments respectively. And the worst thing is that there isn't even evidence outside of the franchise to suggest that consumers want enhanced mobility in shooters. Titanfall started this trend and has a struggling multiplayer. CoD developers have decided to regress completely. Enhanced mobility is not only divisive within the Halo community, it's a dying trend.

There's no reason a simpler Halo experience couldn't have just as much (if not more) of a skill gap among the best players while returning to the low skill floor that helped make this series popular in the first place. H2A would have been insane with low bullet magnetism and no grenade hitmarkers. Replace the BR with a 4 shot DMR/pistol and your golden.

TLDR: High bullet magnetism + simple movement in Halo 2 shouldn't justify high b-mag + complex movement in Halo 5/6. That's a non sequitur. It justifies low b-mag + simple movement.

Pros are happy, noobs are happy. Halo grows.

• Upvote (+1) 8
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Honestly the bones of H5 are fine though - it was/is community management

Bad community management doesn't drop a good playing down to 10k population.

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

When are people going to stop saying "Halo is dead"? It's not dead and it's not going to die. It is Microsoft's top exclusive franchise and they will never let it die.

False

They won't let it die until they find something else.

Remember when spyro and crash were the faces of playstation?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

"if we complain about sprint they will take it out!"

halo community 2010-2017

They won't take out dual weilds

They won't take out equipment

They won't take it bloom

They won't take out AA'S

They won't take out perks

They won't take out loudouts

They don't put back power ups

They won't take out flinch

• Upvote (+1) 9
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Also sorry for going off topic, ill keep this stuff to the other H5 thread.

SURE YOU WILL SIMMS. SURE YOU WILL.

They won't take out dual weilds

They won't take out equipment

They won't take it bloom

They won't take out AA'S

They won't take out perks

They won't take out loudouts

They don't put back power ups

They won't take out flinch

they have already confirmed that halo 6 will be built on halo 5's mechanics. i doubt sprint is gone unless they decide to rework the entire system and rush out another half baked product. forget about sprint. while it sucks, sprint is not holding the hcs back. we did get heavy aim fixed. that was important. true lan is coming back. now we need a well run competitive structure. this is what holds us back. the fact that at no point in the past year + we cannot have an event without several major fuck ups destroys viewership. the fact that no storylines are presented, crowds arent mic'd, audio is consistently poor, esl puts worlds in a garage, we have more weeks of downtime than days with matches this season, etc kills viewership more than sprint. 

"if we complain about sprint they will take it out!"

halo community 2010-2017

It sucks that we've had to argue about this for so long.

From a game design perspective Halo 4 should have been more like Halo 3 in terms of mechanics. Reach wasn't a sequel, it was more of a spinoff (yes it was a prequel but it was out of order so I count it as a spinoff).

I think for games like that changing mechanics is ok, but it should never affect your main series. From my perspective 343's error was allowing game changes made in a spinoff to make their way into a direct sequel.

I guess it was their "vision" but my theory is if Reach didn't have sprint or spartan abilities they wouldn't have shown up in Halo 4.

• Upvote (+1) 1

It sucks that we've had to argue about this for so long.

From a game design perspective Halo 4 should have been more like Halo 3 in terms of mechanics. Reach wasn't a sequel, it was more of a spinoff (yes it was a prequel but it was out of order so I count it as a spinoff).

I think for games like that changing mechanics is ok, but it should never affect your main series. From my perspective 343's error was allowing game changes made in a spinoff to make their way into a direct sequel.

I guess it was their "vision" but my theory is if Reach didn't have sprint or spartan abilities they wouldn't have shown up in Halo 4.

I dont view reach as a spin off at all. It was fully advertised as the next main halo, plus the huge budget.

I dont view reach as a spin off at all. It was fully advertised as the next main halo, plus the huge budget.

VASTLY different mechanics, not a numbered title, last entry from a leaving company. Halo 4 was the title to set the scene for the mechanics of the next trilogy.

If you were taking over a franchise, would you follow the mechanics of the original trilogy or would you follow the mechanics of a single spin off?

The only resason I see for following with Reach mechanics is that, development-wise, it wasn't worth it to drop these assets.

It reminds me of the GDC talk about Spartan Abilities. He said "Boost Jump" wasn't dropped for any balance or technical reasons but because the map designers had already designed maps around clamber. I hate to state the obvious but maps should be designed around mechanics. Good mechanics should not be dropped because maps were already designed without them in mind.

• Upvote (+1) 2

So the last time any team scrimmed was 11 days ago ?. Interesting everyone is having a vacation

You mean what happens every single time a major event ends? 

VASTLY different mechanics, not a numbered title, last entry from a leaving company. Halo 4 was the title to set the scene for the mechanics of the next trilogy.

If you were taking over a franchise, would you follow the mechanics of the original trilogy or would you follow the mechanics of a single spin off?

The only resason I see for following with Reach mechanics is that, development-wise, it wasn't worth it to drop these assets.

It reminds me of the GDC talk about Spartan Abilities. He said "Boost Jump" wasn't dropped for any balance or technical reasons but because the map designers had already designed maps around clamber. I hate to state the obvious but maps should be designed around mechanics. Good mechanics should not be dropped because maps were already designed without them in mind.

Boyo can you stay out of this thread ?
  • Upvote (+1) 1

they have already confirmed that halo 6 will be built on halo 5's mechanics. i doubt sprint is gone unless they decide to rework the entire system and rush out another half baked product. forget about sprint. while it sucks, sprint is not holding the hcs back. we did get heavy aim fixed. that was important. true lan is coming back. now we need a well run competitive structure. this is what holds us back. the fact that at no point in the past year + we cannot have an event without several major fuck ups destroys viewership. the fact that no storylines are presented, crowds arent mic'd, audio is consistently poor, esl puts worlds in a garage, we have more weeks of downtime than days with matches this season, etc kills viewership more than sprint.

Sprint holds everything back.

All of these production issues come down to funding. A more popular game that actually keeps people playing means more eyes on the HCS. Once there are actually people watching then the funds can be allocated to upping the production values.

Why would MS care about the production values for the events for a game that nobody plays or watches?

Even if everything was run perfectly, viewership would barely rise. Nobody plays the game. Nobody is invested in the game. This is why nobody is watching.

Fix the gameplay. A high tide raises all boats.

• Upvote (+1) 3

Bad community management doesn't drop a good playing down to 10k population.

Yeah it does when community management includes 

-Playlists

-DLC

-Settings

-Gametypes

H3 would have been a failure too if you just rotated 4 maps, 3 game types and AR starts for 2 years.

• Upvote (+1) 4

Did anyone notice Shooter was a monster this tournament?

I felt like he was playing much better than normal but at the same time I didn't watch all of their series and there's no stats sooo I'm hesitant to really say he was doing a lot better.

Yea and it's still inconsistent though. I've posted a clip on it before you can shoot in the exact same spot and miss half the shots.

This is probably one of the worst things about H5 that isn't really talked about much. Online you can shoot generally near someone and a high percentage of the time it somehow hits them even though you're clearly missing and other times you can miss by like millimeters or even just have your bullets do nothing. Its weirdly inconsistent so on some servers its like you don't even need to aim and others its like nothing works

Did anyone notice Shooter was a monster this tournament?

>actually watching the tournament

>not just reading the results, skimming over the big matches and shitposting about it

XdkPivg.jpg

I felt like he was playing much better than normal but at the same time I didn't watch all of their series and there's no stats sooo I'm hesitant to really say he was doing a lot better.

This is probably one of the worst things about H5 that isn't really talked about much. Online you can shoot generally near someone and a high percentage of the time it somehow hits them even though you're clearly missing and other times you can miss by like millimeters or even just have your bullets do nothing. Its weirdly inconsistent so on some servers its like you don't even need to aim and others its like nothing works

Yea it's crazy how inconsistent it is. It's really noticeable in octagons if you watch Dan or Contra. Unscoped shots are strange. Don't know if it can be fixed at all though lol but maybe LAN helps with that.