CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

You mean a D O G S H I T  REQ system and horrible progression system alongside lackluster and at times downright embarrassing armor design and character customization isn't going to do it for Halo in 2017?

whiskers-whisper.gif?w=800&h=445

You mean a D O G S H I T  REQ system and horrible progression system alongside lackluster and at times downright embarrassing armor design and character customization isn't going to do it for Halo in 2017?

Don't even get me started on the armour design. I have no idea how we went backwards from Reach in terms of Armour Customization, aesthetic, UI, art style, story, BTB, features on release...

• Upvote (+1) 4

A few topics to comment on...

Clearly in the minority but I find myself only being able to listen to HCS and not watch pretty often so I appreciate having some play by play (it’s still too much as is though)

Why do we think MLG is going to fix everything? Isn’t gears struggling? I’m all for their involvement, but I don’t think everything will be magically fixed just by their involvement. If you think ESL is the only reason for the current competitive state....I don’t even know how to finish this statement

Rob, I was impressed that he came back and posted and seemed to be taking it like a man....then he posted again and tweeted and I realized I was wrong in my first impression. You would’ve gained so much respect from me (and probably the forum) if you only used that first post today.

What if clamber was a crutch for casuals? Maps designed like it doesn’t exist, but all those jumps that are only possible with crouch jumping now become accessible, and it’s tuendd off in competitive. It’s unrealistic that they wouldn’t break the maps in some other way, but a guy can dream.

Sorry for multiple issues and no quotes. I’m too lazy to not use mobile

If some casual kid picks up CoD and gets 40 kills and feels like a god, then someone in that game went -11.

Think they'll play again?

Yes. They will. They want to unlock the gold weapon skin.

I don't like hearing the a game is "easy to pick up and play" as the reason why it's better than Halo. The most popular game on earth, League of Legends, is not "pick up and play" It's hard as hell for a new player. Yet it's the most popular game on earth.

The secret to CoD, and what everyone always overlooks, is the ability of it's unlock system to lure casuals into grinding for items. When I was a kid, I grinded for ages in CoD4 to get the Red Tiger skin for my weapons. Not only did it look cool, but it felt like an achievement. The secret to CoD's casual success goes far beyond it's basic core gameplay, it's the grind that it gives both experienced players and casual players. Weapon skins in particular are difficult. On Black Ops 3's release, the amount of players that grinded for Dark Matter was insane. Some of them went very negative trying to get rocket kills, but they kept playing because they wanted the skin. 

If 343 want Halo 6 to appeal to casuals, give them social games to play in with lots of people to shoot at (Decent BTB + no sprint so the maps are smaller) and give them unlocks that aren't superficial. None of this RNG REQ pack shit, give them "200 headshots with a BR, get a BR skin". So many kids would grind for that.

But the thing is that when you're just starting out, you're also against other players who are starting out, with the exception of smurfs.

Compare LoL to Quake, or even Halo where despite the ranking system, the concentration of smurfs is probably much higher.

Having an adjustment period is much different to getting stomped 15 to -2 for hundreds of games before you can maybe start to show some competence.

But the thing is that when you're just starting out, you're also against other players who are starting out, with the exception of smurfs.

Compare LoL to Quake, or even Halo where despite the ranking system, the concentration of smurfs is probably much higher.

Having an adjustment period is much different to getting stomped 15 to -2 for hundreds of games before you can maybe start to show some competence.

too serious of a post for NavG. 1/10

• Upvote (+1) 7

Imagine if I quit playing Halo 1 because I had like 1 kill my first game. I get making games accessible but, is this the kinda world we live in? Yikes. There needs to also be an incentive to keep playing and get better IMO. I don't know if I agree with making it easier as a way to do that though.

I have literally written out a response then deleted it five times because I keep rambling.

I'll keep it quick, I think bad players have their idea of what a game will be, but if they think the game may change against their taste as they improve, the player will likely quit early. A lot of people like casual RTS play, but when they realize that the good people are using build orders and memorization of units they lose interest because they realize they'll always get stomped or they'll learn to play a game they don't enjoy.

In Halo it's similar. I have friends who like Halo, but they think Halo is playing with thirty cool weapons on the map, holding forward, using cool abilities, etc. I'm nowhere near incredible at the game compared to other people on the forum, but when my friends play with me they quickly realize that the game they love is nowhere near the game they think it is at any level past novice.

If you get one kill in your first game, you have to decide if you want to invest time in a game that you may not even enjoy once you get to a competent level because the game will radically change as you improve. If your choice is between investing time and learning to hate a game, or playing a game you did okay in and enjoy the experience you're currently having, why would you switch to the game you did bad in?

• Upvote (+1) 2

Why do we think MLG is going to fix everything? Isn’t gears struggling? I’m all for their involvement, but I don’t think everything will be magically fixed just by their involvement. If you think ESL is the only reason for the current competitive state....I don’t even know how to finish this statement

People expect mlg to provide good production and a structure that makes sense to players, orgs and fans alike. It won't "fix everything", but it will make his more appealing to everyone with stake in it. Gears isn't "failing" because of mlg. It's a much less popular video game. H5 had over 100k people tuning in to an event. Then it digressed. The scene would be much better off with mlg.

• Upvote (+1) 3

@@Shekkles

2,000 kills as zombie in Infection = Pestilence Energy Sword skin

People would throw hours at the game just to get that skin. That's more people in the game.

Didn't Halo 3 have a training grounds playlist? First 10 games or something you can play in the training playlist?

People would throw hours at the game just to get that skin. That's more people in the game.

Didn't Halo 3 have a training grounds playlist? First 10 games or something you can play in the training playlist?

That just sounds like a breeding ground for alts with the X1 though to be honest. 

so this doesn't completely debunk Roy retiring for me, but I feel like this just supports my theory that Roy just had a great time the other night, and isn't planning anything :thinking:

• Upvote (+1) 1

That just sounds like a breeding ground for alts with the X1 though to be honest. 

True. Easy fix would be to have bots. Doesn't matter if they're bad or not, they're there for training.

• Upvote (+1) 1

True. Easy fix would be to have bots. Doesn't matter if they're bad or not, they're there for training.

Yea good point. 

You're saying the same thing essentially. People have been asking for this style for awhile (myself included). Have long-term discussions, only pop into play-by-play or "comment on the screen action" when it's an especially hype moment.

I'm not saying the same thing at all.

It's mostly play by play or trying to predict what will happen followed by brief moments of discussing what happened.

And never once have I felt bothered by it. Play by Play in of itself isn't bad even if tis done the majoirty of the time. I think it depends on the casters.

You just need to make doing play by play and discussing things flow naturally. I don't care what the ratio for either is, just make it flow well.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Don't even get me started on the armour design. I have no idea how we went backwards from Reach in terms of Armour Customization, aesthetic, UI, art style, story, BTB, features on release...

Aesthetics though/armor design? I've always hated Reach the most out of any Halo.

Despite 343 having lots of bad designs (mostly because 343 doesn't actually design most of the armor most likely) it's a simple fact that I've found that handful of armor sets that just resonate with me. (Mainly the Scout helm which is my favorite helmet in the game) which was never the case in Reach. Reach was also just a bad game, as a matter of fact Reach is the Halo game I despise the most for many reasons.

Aesthetics though/armor design? I've always hated Reach the most out of any Halo.

Despite 343 having lots of bad designs (mostly because 343 doesn't actually design most of the armor most likely) it's a simple fact that I've found that handful of armor sets that just resonate with me. (Mainly the Scout helm which is my favorite helmet in the game) which was never the case in Reach. Reach was also just a bad game, as a matter of fact Reach is the Halo game I despise the most for many reasons.

The other points still stand though, especially the UI! Why did Halo 4 and even 5 have trash UI's! Reach's UI was fantastic, still the best console UI I've ever used.

Hopefully we'll see some improvements for H6.

Also, if MCC is getting "fixed" maybe we'll see some throwback tournaments.

Also, if MCC is getting "fixed" maybe we'll see some throwback tournaments.

If MCC is actually made into the game it was supposed to be, they could EASILY run tournaments and I'd bet they'd get at least as many viewers as H5 events. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Weird. Of all the issues I had with Reach, the art design wasn't one of them. It's probably the best looking Halo game IMO, the UI as well. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

so this doesn't completely debunk Roy retiring for me, but I feel like this just supports my theory that Roy just had a great time the other night, and isn't planning anything :thinking:

According to people in the event, Towey played a farewell video after the event. It seems they are moving on indeed.

So.... where is this MLG picking up Halo coming from?  or are we just reaching into far and unknown places ?

The issue is that a lot of people here grew up playing before XBL. You didn't really have to go through the complete noob phase. You had years of experience before you actually ever played online. Nowadays kids are growing up with XBL so their first experience is way different. And H5 doesn't have split screen or offline play really so people couldn't exactly do what people did in the past.

I was the best kid in my neighborhood and thought I was hot shit lmao.

Then I played H2 online for the first time.

I was the best kid in my neighborhood and thought I was hot shit lmao.

Then I played H2 online for the first time.

Thats how i felt when i went to my first MLG tournament.  "Im pretty good online, i'm sure i'll be fine".  Nope.  got wasted so hard. Very humbling

@@Shekkles

2,000 kills as zombie in Infection = Pestilence Energy Sword skin

Yeah, SO MANY people would grind for that shit.

If 343 want Halo 6 to appeal to casuals, give them social games to play in with lots of people to shoot at (Decent BTB + no sprint so the maps are smaller) and give them unlocks that aren't superficial. None of this RNG REQ pack shit, give them "200 headshots with a BR, get a BR skin". So many kids would grind for that.

And keep it coming.  They need to architect the game so that it doesn't require a full TU to get new skins.

People will grind a lot to start and get exactly what they want so you need to keep them enticed with novel shit.

• Upvote (+1) 2

Oh. 

And I hope Roy/Lbx don't retire, my favorite two players

Me too. I honestly dont see Lbx retiring yet. He has really found his groove now and is playing really well, but he has said a lot in the past that he wont play without Roy. 

So it might just be Roy looking to retire and Lbx just sticking with him. I hope neither of them have retired though I know its inevitable but I really hope they just see H5 out.