CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Imagine if I quit playing Halo 1 because I had like 1 kill my first game. I get making games accessible but, is this the kinda world we live in? Yikes. There needs to also be an incentive to keep playing and get better IMO. I don't know if I agree with making it easier as a way to do that though.

Accidental neg. It is kinda worrisome for the future of console gaming.

Feel of outshooting/outsmarting your opponent is just as good if not better than getting 30 kills in Cod. Halo doesn't need to be like Cod to be successful like Cod. It needs simplicity and variety. Get rid of excessive abilities and stupid ways how to get around maps (we pretend it's skilful but it's just broken) and bring something for everyone out of the box (like H3 and Reach). Competitive, arcade, btb, forge, coop, firefight..

• Upvote (+1) 1

idk about you guys but all this advanced movement kills my hands

i've been playing competitive fps for since i was 12 so i have a lot of miles on my hands but still

the h3 throwback playlist has been the first time i've been able to play h5 without being in pain after an hour

Halo 5 is a workout, which is why I hardly play it anymore.

The issue is that a lot of people here grew up playing before XBL. You didn't really have to go through the complete noob phase. You had years of experience before you actually ever played online. Nowadays kids are growing up with XBL so their first experience is way different. And H5 doesn't have split screen or offline play really so people couldn't exactly do what people did in the past.

• Upvote (+1) 7

Also if you want advanced movement just scrap everything and bring walljump and you can do all kind of cool things with one button . Without loosing the ability to shoot.

One of the main reasons it's nearly impossible these days for a "high skill gap" shooter to gain traction these days if you ask me.

How do you stop new players from getting stomped? Have a good ranking system to match them with other new players.

How do you have a functioning ranking system? First you need a healthy population.

How do you get a healthy population? By attracting new players who don't get immediately stomped and disappointed driven away...

Reminds me of Quake Champions. Watching good players compete is such a joy. The recent QC tournament at Dreamhack drew ~10k viewers during the finals. Meanwhile, the game itself had 300 players at the same time, and peaked at ~2k on its Early Access release in August I believe.

Smurfing is a huge problem in Halo.
  • Upvote (+1) 1

One thing Halo could use is tutorials and bots. So players can get a feel for how halo should actually be played, w/o pressure

This would be amazing.  Enough to get a feel for the game and practice before a live environment. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

Half the players in my games in HCS are smurfs.

It’s just way to easy, I have 2 smurfs. 343 needs to implement a level requirement

It’s just way to easy, I have 2 smurfs. 343 needs to implement a level requiremefnt

It won't matter. Blizzard has a level 25 requirement on Overwatch, and once you get into diamond. and especially into Masters and GM, there are smurfs everywhere. Really the "problem" is that one XBL account means all accounts on that Xbox can play online. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does make smurfing on Xbox an issue. I know Rainbow 6 Siege has this problem as well. 

Imagine if I quit playing Halo 1 because I had like 1 kill my first game. I get making games accessible but, is this the kinda world we live in? Yikes. There needs to also be an incentive to keep playing and get better IMO. I don't know if I agree with making it easier as a way to do that though.

If some casual kid picks up CoD and gets 40 kills and feels like a god, then someone in that game went -11.

Think they'll play again?

Yes. They will. They want to unlock the gold weapon skin.

I don't like hearing the a game is "easy to pick up and play" as the reason why it's better than Halo. The most popular game on earth, League of Legends, is not "pick up and play" It's hard as hell for a new player. Yet it's the most popular game on earth.

The secret to CoD, and what everyone always overlooks, is the ability of it's unlock system to lure casuals into grinding for items. When I was a kid, I grinded for ages in CoD4 to get the Red Tiger skin for my weapons. Not only did it look cool, but it felt like an achievement. The secret to CoD's casual success goes far beyond it's basic core gameplay, it's the grind that it gives both experienced players and casual players. Weapon skins in particular are difficult. On Black Ops 3's release, the amount of players that grinded for Dark Matter was insane. Some of them went very negative trying to get rocket kills, but they kept playing because they wanted the skin. 

If 343 want Halo 6 to appeal to casuals, give them social games to play in with lots of people to shoot at (Decent BTB + no sprint so the maps are smaller) and give them unlocks that aren't superficial. None of this RNG REQ pack shit, give them "200 headshots with a BR, get a BR skin". So many kids would grind for that.

• Upvote (+1) 6

If some casual kid picks up CoD and gets 40 kills and feels like a god, then someone in that game went -11.

Think they'll play again?

Yes. They will. They want to unlock the gold weapon skin.

I don't like hearing the a game is "easy to pick up and play" as the reason why it's better than Halo. The most popular game on earth, League of Legends, is not "pick up and play" It's hard as hell for a new player. Yet it's the most popular game on earth.

The secret to CoD, and what everyone always overlooks, is the ability of it's unlock system to lure casuals into grinding for items. When I was a kid, I grinded for ages in CoD4 to get the Red Tiger skin for my weapons. Not only did it look cool, but it felt like an achievement. The secret to CoD's casual success goes far beyond it's basic core gameplay, it's the grind that it gives both experienced players and casual players. Weapon skins in particular are difficult. On Black Ops 3's release, the amount of players that grinded for Dark Matter was insane. Some of them went very negative trying to get rocket kills, but they kept playing because they wanted the skin. 

If 343 want Halo 6 to appeal to casuals, give them social games to play in with lots of people to shoot at (Decent BTB + no sprint so the maps are smaller) and give them unlocks that aren't superficial. None of this RNG REQ pack shit, give them "200 headshots with a BR, get a BR skin". So many kids would grind for that.

You mean a D O G S H I T  REQ system and horrible progression system alongside lackluster and at times downright embarrassing armor design and character customization isn't going to do it for Halo in 2017?  

• Upvote (+1) 3