CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So a weird thing happened to me today.  Y'know when someone has a bag of skittles, and you ask for some because you know how good some fucking skittles would taste right now?  Well *censored* brought in some skittles to work, and I do what any normal person would do.  I approach *censored*, hands open just hoping the gods will bless me with a courteous skittle pour.  And then I see it, *censored* has made the classic mistake of tearing his bag too far open.  I know now the only thing standing between me and a handful of skittles is just a little overzealousness by *censored* on the pour.  And then it happens, a magical rainbow being dumped into my hand and I walk away with a half bag of skittles.  

Anyways..

It hit me later that the HCS is basically a fucking bag of skittles.  And not fucking once have I ever gotten more than a few skittles dumped into my hands.  Still, I show up every fucking time I hear a bag of skittles opening.  Every. God. Damn. Time.  One day, I hope someone with capable hands will be allowed to pour that little old bag of skittles into my eagerly awaiting palms. Actually think I heard a rumor about a company that's been pouring out skittles properly since day 1.

Until then..

-jdot out

giphy.gif

• Upvote (+1) 4

Didn't single elim and trash settings get Allegiance a decent win? :kappa:

Before my time on ALG   :simms:

• Upvote (+1) 5

Are new settings gonna be tested for pro league coming out? Like maybe faster slayer spawn time?

How much are GFINITY tickets? (sorry if I haven't seen the link posted in here)

It's the weekend after some exams for me, could be a chill way to celebrate.

-snip- (my Dreamhack recap post)

Just realized I forgot @@Jimbo in this post, which is a shame because it was a pleasure to chat with him for a few minutes and I'm happy we got to meet. So now he gets his own post - here's hoping you can somehow avoid OpTic next time you're in the States.

• Upvote (+1) 1

With the EU scene especially, it's more of a who you know club - most top AMs/pros have known each other for a long time, and will only scrim/play 8s with each other. NA pros like Spartan/Shotzzy etc often play in 8s with AMs, and teams do scrim each other. Which is why this kinda grinds my gears when some of them say to your average AM looking to improve: 'just play scrims' - my team and I were the first team purchase for HCS London (which shows that we are actually taking it seriously) and have been looking for scrims for the past week. There's pretty much only 2 other teams that has/will scrim us (and there are quite a few teams going atm). We did manage to find one at the beginning of the week, but they wanted to play us before noon, and when we got on to play them, we got told they had 2 subs and one kept disconnecting before we even got into a game. Once we got into a game, he disconnected again, and another went off for food. So got up early, spent an hour trying to get the games going, only for it all to be over within a minute into the first map.

Every time I read about scrims cut short in EU, it seems like food is involved! Lol

These guys can't eat before/after the scrim?!?! Haha

• Upvote (+1) 3

Every time I read about scrims cut short in EU, it seems like food is involved! Lol

These guys can't eat before/after the scrim?!?! Haha

It happens a whole lot, haha. I try to eat before, but If I need to, I just eat it in between deaths during scrims.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Post about EU AM scene.

This is so true. A lot of people have the mentality, especially amongst the Swedish people but maybe over the whole EU, that "if I don't have a team that are guaranteed top 1/top4/top 8 (depending on the expectations), what's the point in competing?"

And that is why a lot of the times the cups have so few teams because people have given up beforehand...

Like the qualifier to the last Pro League, where there were two spots available. People didn't make teams because of that reason. So when we made our team last minute just for fun (cuz 3 of us couldn't play the 2nd day) we managed to qualify for champbracket because:

1. There weren't so many teams playing

2. The quality of the teams were pretty low

This mentality needs to change!

• Upvote (+1) 2

This is so true. A lot of people have the mentality, especially amongst the Swedish people but maybe over the whole EU, that "if I don't have a team that are guaranteed top 1/top4/top 8 (depending on the expectations), what's the point in competing?"

And that is why a lot of the times the cups have so few teams because people have given up beforehand...

Like the qualifier to the last Pro League, where there were two spots available. People didn't make teams because of that reason. So when we made our team last minute just for fun (cuz 3 of us couldn't play the 2nd day) we managed to qualify for champbracket because:

1. There weren't so many teams playing

2. The quality of the teams were pretty low

This mentality needs to change!

This mentality stems from the current HCS set-up.  

The current system offers zero incentive for amateur players to compete because honestly, they get nothing out of it.  If you're going to buy a team pass, book a flight/hotel, and take off time from work/school to make it to these events, then the amateur players need to get something in return for it. There needs to be some sort of a HCS pro league points system put in place to incentivize amateur players to want to continuously compete at events.

• Upvote (+1) 5

The current system offers zero incentive for amateur players to compete because honestly, they get nothing out of it.  If you're going to buy a team pass, book a flight/hotel, and take off time from work/school to make it to these events, then the amateur players need to get something in return for it. There needs to be some sort of a HCS pro league points system put in place to incentivize amateur players to want to continuously compete at events.

no points and no exposure because the HCS is terrible at communicating information 

you should be able to go to halo.gg and see the results of all the previous events and etc

• Upvote (+1) 6

snip

It's not just the Swedish, haha.

It would be great to get a points system like that going.

But I wasn't just talking about HCS though, we've had a lot of teams form from community run leagues and cups that people participate in, and average EU teams rather play MM, probably because they take scrim scores way too seriously, so they're afraid of getting swept and hurting their ego. I mean, beat a great team? Awesome. Lose to a greater team? Also awesome, as you will have learned a lot from both. One works well to show you how far you've progressed, while the other shows just how much more progression there is to be had.

Like, I've tweeted out about a scrim for tonight around 7:30 - 8 UK time (if possible) for the last 3 days or so, including not too long ago. I then see one of the top AMs who follow me tweet out that they're looking for one at the exact time, but is only looking to scrim other top AMs. Can't expect the scene to grow or people to get better if they don't even get to play players who are better than themselves, which is where MM is kind of a band-aid for EU, where you just might be able to match some of them.

• Upvote (+1) 1