CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

So excited, leaving in several hours to my first LAN/eSports event ever. Dreamhack should be a fantastic time. Safe travels to everyone and I hope the stream is as smooth as possible!

Are you the old tournaments on twitchtv person?

• Upvote (+1) 4

Are you the old tournaments on twitchtv person?

He is lol. 

Anyone else think there is a chance Optic doesn't drop a game? 

I think they got somewhat complacent and it seems like they are putting even more work in for DH. But when I say complacent it's nothing against them, just that when you win for such a long time it's hard to have that edge after awhile. 

If they don't win, it'd be pretty crazy that they have not won one of the past 3 events. 

I think they got somewhat complacent and it seems like they are putting even more work in for DH. But when I say complacent it's nothing against them, just that when you win for such a long time it's hard to have that edge after awhile.

If they don't win, it'd be pretty crazy that they have not won one of the past 3 events.

nV, Splyce, OpTic.

OG fails to make it out of the losers bracket for the first time.

I think they will drop some games but i can really see them take this, i think they are hungry and have been really laying the hurt down in scrims.

All in all though, one of the most uncertain events in a long time.

I was just talking about general playerbase, not just the competitive playerbase. For example, if Dota2 lost the international, do you think it would lose a large chunk of its players? I don't think so. Halo 1 had players all over the country lanning in each others basement every weekend without even knowing about MLG, AGP, etc. All I'm saying is that if a game is actually really good, it doesnt absolutely need big tournaments and prize pools to generate interest.

Ah ok i gotcha.  I agree with this.  Without dev supporting competitive, overall player base can still be very good though i still think that devs need to continually support the game whether they are interested in esports or not.

But for competitive, a game without dev support won't be able to compete against a game that has half-decent dev support.

I was just talking about general playerbase, not just the competitive playerbase. For example, if Dota2 lost the international, do you think it would lose a large chunk of its players? I don't think so. Halo 1 had players all over the country lanning in each others basement every weekend without even knowing about MLG, AGP, etc. All I'm saying is that if a game is actually really good, it doesnt absolutely need big tournaments and prize pools to generate interest.

So your just saying that good games are generally more popular? That's not really a bold statement.

But A game being popular doesn't mean it's likely to be a sustainable esport either.

It takes a bit of both quality and investment to seal the deal

definitely not. even if they dont drop a series, i think the gap has been closed so that optic is not the clear favorite coming into this event. splyce, nv, and liquid have the best chances at beating optic in a series and i think an lg or eg could get a game off them in the right confitions

South Dakota, why?

I see you post a lot about classic Halo or Halo 1 LAN but haven't heard if you are part of the bigger local scenes. I can try to see if there are people in your area.

???

LoL, OW, Dota2, PUBG, COD (i count it since activision owns MLG), HearthStone all are massively dev supported and all have been successful (outside of OW which will be seen soon enough) maybe i'm not understanding what you mean though

Do those games need dev support to be succesful esports though?

Probably not. Third parties would step in.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I see you post a lot about classic Halo or Halo 1 LAN but haven't heard if you are part of the bigger local scenes. I can try to see if there are people in your area.

Ah, ya I can't say I was ever aware of too big of a scene where I live. There were prolly 12-15 of us that would lan at least once a month and 4 of us that would lan twice a week. Only decent sized H1/H2 scene around here was down in Omaha and some parts of Iowa.

Ah, ya I can't say I was ever aware of too big of a scene where I live. There were prolly 12-15 of us that would lan at least once a month and 4 of us that would lan twice a week. Only decent sized H1/H2 scene around here was down in Omaha and some parts of Iowa.

Gotcha, Yeah I'll look into it and see if theres anything. Any H1 player should seriously try to make it beach LAN though. It's h1 heaven.

Do those games need dev support to be succesful esports though?

Probably not. Third parties would step in.

currently, yes they dont need dev support, though without it they probably wouldnt be as big. at their beginning though? i somehow doubt it. cod was always second to halo with just mlg involvement. dota was popular but a small esport until valve threw 1.6 mil at the international and made that a thing. especially in this climate when most scenes expect 5-7 figure prize pools per event, it would be hard for someone to pick that up as a 3rd party without some sort of guarantee on roi. it makes sense for the dev to do it if you think of the competitive scene as a commercial for the game

For sure, goes a long way towards legitimising our scene. Taking games from the #1 team in the world in scrims might just break down the nervous barrier some of these guys hit during events.

Let's see if they can get it done at LAN

Exactly. Im sure that the old Fabe team would have done so much better if they had of played TL before (or any NA team for that matter). It seemed like they didnt play as they normally do when they were up against TL.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I kinda hope to see NV win. If this really is Huke's last tourney, and I think it is, I'd like to see him go out on a win.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I kinda hope to see NV win. If this really is Huke's last tourney, and I think it is, I'd like to see him go out on a win.

Really?. I’m indifferent towards Huke, has like a bland personality, I literally don’t have an emotional response of him.
  • Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Everyone keeps forgetting battlefield too. The whole "H3 had no competition" thing really needs to stop because it isn't even close to true. Nearly all of big FPS series that are pounding Halo atm had some of their most beloved games in the same time frame

this leaves out (1) PC gaming, which is effing huge now, and (2) the fact that the XB1 is the worst console platform since the Dreamcast.  Halo is already starting at a huge disadvantage by being XB1-exclusive (until H6 on PC)

• Downvote (-1) 2

Really?. I’m indifferent towards Huke, has like a bland personality, I literally don’t have an emotional response of him.

TIL people who stay out of the limelight don't deserve to win events they work hard for lol.

• Upvote (+1) 8

this leaves out (1) PC gaming, which is effing huge now, and (2) the fact that the XB1 is the worst console platform since the Dreamcast. Halo is already starting at a huge disadvantage by being XB1-exclusive (until H6 on PC)

Xb1 has been outpacing 360 sales for most of its life.

• Upvote (+1) 7

So your just saying that good games are generally more popular? That's not really a bold statement.

But A game being popular doesn't mean it's likely to be a sustainable esport either.

It takes a bit of both quality and investment to seal the deal

Support from developers is definitely a huge benefit, but is never a replacement for organic player engagement, which you need FIRST. Melee has had zero investment from Nintendo at any point and yet has a vastly healthier competitive scene, because people love the game. Halo 5, meanwhile, literally wouldn't have a competitive scene if Microsoft wasn't throwing million dollar prize pools at it and running the league.

• Upvote (+1) 4