CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Developer support isn't the end all be all of good things to happen to games. Sometimes it actually hurts the growth of the scene.

sometimes but that definitely isn't the case with halo

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would playing the game on Xbox One X fix frame rate issues for Forge? 

I would love to know the answer to this. There are some great forge maps out there but the frame rate is so bad in certain areas.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Would playing the game on Xbox One X fix frame rate issues for Forge?

I would imagine so. Tashi just posted at neogaf that the x version feels better too (like the pc version?).

I would love to know the answer to this. There are some great forge maps out there but the frame rate is so bad in certain areas.

It comes down to practice matchmaking too though.  If the One X performance in forge is great, it doesn't matter since most players at home aren't going to have one.  The performance needs to be acceptable on the launch version xbox one both for players practicing and people like me that don't want shitty framerate when matchmaking with HCS gametypes.

sometimes but that definitely isn't the case with halo

You don't think 343's "support" has hindered the series at all? Serious question, one that I haven't thought much about myself, but I feel like they have to shoulder some of the blame there for things like maps, weapons, LAN support...

You don't think 343's "support" has hindered the series at all? Serious question, one that I haven't thought much about myself, but I feel like they have to shoulder some of the blame there for things like maps, weapons, LAN support...

I think when most people speak of developer support, they're referring to the developer's role within the game's esports scene.

Without 343 we literally wouldn't even have a league, and if we did, the prize pools wouldn't be close to what they currently are.

• Upvote (+1) 4

You don't think 343's "support" has hindered the series at all? 

esports wise not at all, post h4 the scene would have essentially died without 343 stepping in

• Upvote (+1) 4

I think when most people speak of developer support, they're referring to the developer's role within the game's esports scene.

Without 343 we literally wouldn't even have a league, and if we did, the prize pools wouldn't be close to what they currently are.

And that points us back to the biggest issue, which is the game. Halo 1-3 had 0 dev support but they were great enough games that people and places all around the country held tournaments. If a game can't survive without an official league and huge prize pools, it's not a good game.

• Downvote (-1) 1

esports wise not at all, post h4 the scene would have essentially died without 343 stepping in

What if they would've just made a great game?

• Downvote (-1) 1

Hmm, this is definitely true. But my questions kind of still stand - what about their decisions on weapon sandbox? map creation and usage in HCS? Lack of LAN support? That all, to me, is part of their role in the esports scene. Not to mention their lackluster support for regions outside of UK/US, despite assuring us that it's a global game with the Halo World Championship.

Obviously it's tough to deal in what ifs, but what if the community too a stance like Smash and play an older game for tournaments and stuff like that? Could've been H2 or H3 that did it. I definitely don't disagree with you though Moses, that the scene was in shambles after Halo 4 which is more of an answer to my original question, but on a less relevant to the question thread, the games that 343 has churned out haven't done much to revitalize the population of the Halo series, even if they resurrected the competitive scene and gave it a structure and prize money. 

EDIT:: Didn't want to double post, but @@TheFloyd made a solid point (I think) with that first post. I alluded to it a little bit in that if the underlying game isn't fun to play and something people crave to do with their spare time, outside of practicing for events, well then there's a huge issue there.

And that points us back to the biggest issue, which is the game. Halo 1-3 had 0 dev support but they were great enough games that people and places all around the country held tournaments. If a game can't survive without an official league and huge prize pools, it's not a good game.

That's just like, your opinion bro.

bungie allowed mlg to have control of the competitive playlist. they may not have been as helpful as they coulve/shouldve been but stepping aside and letting the "pro team" work was all that was needed. regular ts with dual wields, bubble shields, regen boosters, and autos wouldve been shit competitively but that was the direction bungie wanted to go

Obviously it's tough to deal in what ifs, but what if the community too a stance like Smash and play an older game for tournaments and stuff like that? Could've been H2 or H3 that did it.

i don't think that would have worked for us because most FPS people would move onto newer games with bigger scenes

smash is special, but it's not a profitable venture for anyone* involved

our players get paid, our AMs get paid, our casters get paid

i'm pretty happy with 343 being so passionate and invested in halo esports, they have a lot of resources

gEFDbcg.png

i made a schedule for this weekend, i ripped the info from the dreamhack website so i pray its accurate lol

• Upvote (+1) 7

That's just like, your opinion bro.

No it's not, if a game needs competitive dev support to maintain players, it's not a good game.

• Downvote (-1) 9

No it's not, if a game needs competitive dev support to maintain players, it's not a good game.

???

LoL, OW, Dota2, PUBG, COD (i count it since activision owns MLG), HearthStone all are massively dev supported and all have been successful (outside of OW which will be seen soon enough) maybe i'm not understanding what you mean though

Maybe. Or maybe competive players would move to other "good games" that DO have better support.

It's funny, because their really aren't any good competitive shooters on console these days. COD is the worst, yet has the largest scene. Splatoon is arguably the best suited for competitive play, but has 0 dev support in that direction. Halo is right in the middle in both categories.

Splatoon is arguably the best suited for competitive play, but has 0 dev support in that direction.

Funny enough, I remember the Nintendo Switch reveal trailer showing a sold out arena to watch Splatoon esports.

Maybe. Or maybe competive players would move to other "good games" that DO have better support.

It's funny, because their really aren't any good competitive shooters on console these days. COD is the worst, yet has the largest scene. Splatoon is arguably the best suited for competitive play, but has 0 dev support in that direction. Halo is right in the middle in both categories.

I was just talking about general playerbase, not just the competitive playerbase. For example, if Dota2 lost the international, do you think it would lose a large chunk of its players? I don't think so. Halo 1 had players all over the country lanning in each others basement every weekend without even knowing about MLG, AGP, etc. All I'm saying is that if a game is actually really good, it doesnt absolutely need big tournaments and prize pools to generate interest.

For sure, goes a long way towards legitimising our scene. Taking games from the #1 team in the world in scrims might just break down the nervous barrier some of these guys hit during events.

Let's see if they can get it done at LAN

I agree, its always seemed like EU teams were completely unprepared for the different play styles as well as seeming nervous. This bootcamping should remove much of that.

Really interested to see how vexed do in the open bracket with how well they have been scrimming.