CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

As an employee its hard to not comment and I always stay away from it to not look like an ass or take it personally, however i do think some of the comments recently have been a tad strong. ESL Australia for example puts on some truly epic events and I really hope they are involved in the ANZ side of things. I am also very proud of the what myself and the team in the UK produced for the EU Pro League Finals, I do honestly think at the time we raised the bar for them 2 gigs.

To be honest, it seems like ESL NA is a different company from ESL elsewhere in the world.  I have watched them (and you) do some killer larger events elsewhere in the world, but it seems like NA production is far behind. No idea why that is.

As an employee its hard to not comment and I always stay away from it to not look like an ass or take it personally, however i do think some of the comments recently have been a tad strong. ESL Australia for example puts on some truly epic events and I really hope they are involved in the ANZ side of things. I am also very proud of the what myself and the team in the UK produced for the EU Pro League Finals, I do honestly think at the time we raised the bar for them 2 gigs.

Been saying this many times before. Na and EU ESL are like two totally different companies.

But the Na ESL had let us down so many times, it is sometimes hard to see the difference between those two. It's bittersweet relation at best. Esl should not be given all the weight of the Hcs failures (343, Xbox, they all take big part), but they carry a big portion of it.

-H5 Local server

-Splyce, Str8, and LG skins

-HWC flag skins

-oddball is back

-MS store halo program expanded to all stores and will have its own exclusive skin

-"new HCS partners" TBA

-MCC being updated

-AR buff/nerf, we aren't sure yet lol

i think i covered it all

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/odds-ends

don’t forget the $150k from the Relief and Recovery REQ pack in like a week. That’s pretty impressive considering what people say about h5’s population
  • Upvote (+1) 4

no ESL probably means no DreamHack and that would be a bad thing for halo

it's important for us to be at multi-game events

• Upvote (+1) 5

To be honest, it seems like ESL NA is a different company from ESL elsewhere in the world. I have watched them (and you) do some killer larger events elsewhere in the world, but it seems like NA production is far behind. No idea why that is.

I dont think thats fair given the bells and whistles that go on in the background, at face vaule we take the blame (and understandably so) but the moving parts and things involved in the back is unreal. NA office has some of the best people ive personally worked with in the business and the challenges they face and overcome are unbelievable. Either-way onwards and upwards, im looking forward to this weekend and hope the teased annoucements have lifted the community. I fully trust the NA team to put a killer event on this weekend after learning from ATL and believe we are in for a cracking show!

• Upvote (+1) 6
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I dont think thats fair given the bells and whistles that go on in the background, at face vaule we take the blame (and understandably so) but the moving parts and things involved in the back is unreal. NA office has some of the best people ive personally worked with in the business and the challenges they face and overcome are unbelievable. Either-way onwards and upwards, im looking forward to this weekend and hope the teased annoucements have lifted the community. I fully trust the NA team to put a killer event on this weekend after learning from ATL and believe we are in for a cracking show!

ESL NA does amazing events for CS or smaller games like Quake. Shit happens can't always blame ESL for everything. 

i think what makes it difficult is that there is no real transparency for the issues we continually see. we want to know where the issues stem from and fingers end up pointed all over the place and the only 2 consistant names attached to these events are 343 and esl and we still have no idea the interaction between the 2. i understand why you would take it personally and i think the lack of openess from other community leaders at these companies leads to increasing vitrol where the momentum of it can carry it too far

That's why I liked what Goldenboy said, keep  ESL around.

And sadly their's a lot of nuance in this conversation that's lost in online posts.

But I agree with Goldenboy, and Moses.

Sweet

Now the 8 people who still play h5 can just go play together and MS can save some money and shut down the servers.

Good thinking MS. Frugal.

i dont understand this thinking. its great in that it now empowers local lans and can draw in people for that purpose. you can now run weekend lan parties with a little more set up than before, but it can now be done with no xbl gold required. it makes the dh atl situation much more manageable bc games can be played offline again. its nothing but good and something that we've begged for for years now. why crap on it when we get it?

• Upvote (+1) 1

ESL simply acted with little interest in growing the Halo scene.

Single elim champ brackets

Segregation of Pro and AM

Lack of interest in Open lans

Last minute ticket sales

Apathy towards venue selection

Nonsensical rulings on player conduct

Downsizing of Worlds participants

The list goes on.

The only thing they did decently was invitationals and, eventually, bringing Halo to Dreamhack

I'm sure ESL NA have some good people, But those calling the shots for Halo esports rarely called shots that were good for Halo esports. Other divisions were notably better.

There's nothing wrong with having ESL in some capacity. But we need a primary TO with some better ideas.

• Upvote (+1) 5

i dont understand this thinking. its great in that it now empowers local lans and can draw in people for that purpose. you can now run weekend lan parties with a little more set up than before, but it can now be done with no xbl gold required. it makes the dh atl situation much more manageable bc games can be played offline again. its nothing but good and something that we've begged for for years now. why crap on it when we get it?

This kind of shit just doesnt matter.

Its as if someone borrows your xbox. Lights it on fire. Smashes it. Then two years later buys you a controller.

Wow, thanks for the controller.

Thanks for the lan functionality for the beloved franchise that you've turned into a dumpster fire. How thoughtful.

Announce a real halo game. You'll have my praise. Until then, its all pointless.

• Downvote (-1) 19

This kind of shit just doesnt matter.

Its as if someone borrows your xbox. Lights it on fire. Smashes it. Then two years later buys you a controller.

Wow, thanks for the controller.

Thanks for the lan functionality for the beloved franchise that you've turned into a dumpster fire. How thoughtful.

Announce a real halo game. You'll have my praise. Until then, its all pointless.

improvements always matter. are the updates late? yes, but better late than not at all. you can continue to be angry all you want but as long as we are moving to where we need to be, there is no need to shit on every step forward  

• Upvote (+1) 5

improvements always matter. are the updates late? yes, but better late than not at all. you can continue to be angry all you want but as long as we are moving to where we need to be, there is no need to shit on every step forward

Were not moving in the right direction.

Changes to periphery mean nothing without changes to the core.

Right now were stuck with a shit game on track for another call of halofall and some more 20k population years.

How does adding LAN to h5 fix this?

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 6

Were not moving in the right direction.

Changes to periphery mean nothing without changes to the core.

Right now were stuck with a shit game on track for another call of halofall and some more 20k population years.

How does adding LAN to h5 fix this?

if you're going to ignore the value of easy grassroot tourneys and local lans on population then i dont know what else there is to say. go sulk in a corner. i'm enjoying positivity and excitement for a change

• Upvote (+1) 2

Hi Simms, I'd love to have a proper discussion about this:

So in my opinion, I think ESL are incredible. However, it is not hard to see that all the games that they run incredible events in, are mostly PC games. Counter-strike for example have incredible events like ESL One etc.

But Halo is much different. games like CSGO thrive from weekly pro leagues over the internet - Halo does not, its foundations are dug into the open LAN events. This is of course something that ESL failed to realise.

HOWEVER

Most of the open LANs were not run by ESL. So everyone slating them can shut up. Most open LANs were run by UGC/UMG etc. and hired P5 studios - people like PROVERB, to run them. (200k cables, lol)

The only things that got me about ESL was their decision to do HWC 2016 as a single elim bracket, their woeful venue choice (maybe also to do with 343) and their lack of attention to the AM scene (pro league, and only getting open LANs until late 2016 - regardless of who ran them). Their closed events (Such as HWC2016, Pro league finals, Dreamhack etc) all looked incredible. It is 343's fault for not including a local server based system, which is why there were so many stream downs and lag-outs, which ESL got a lot of shit for.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Your posts made me look at HTR, cause Destiny players use DTR and it shows population numbers.

These are just players that have played a single game in this season, and includes second tags.

https://t.co/uU28xvJMu9

Also, there are 1,150,838 people tracked on the Warzone HTR score. Thanks @@TiberiusAudley for that info :D

I think a disclaimer should be put that I'm not the biggest 343 fan, but I can recognize when they do good, and when they do bad. Normally it's more bad than good, in my opinion, but they have repeatedly said that population in H5 is better than we think, and these numbers are in line with info i've received from people. I've never heard real numbers, just what's most popular.

When I say 20k I mean the game probably hits 20k concurrent peak averages during a week.

Which is pretty consistent with the numbers you posted.

Actually it may be a little high.

Remeber a game like destiny 2 is hitting 2-4 million players DAILY. So posting that h5 still draws 1.5 million a month isnt proving anything.(wait, seasons are longer then 1 month?)

http://steamcharts.com/top

20k would put it around 20th place on steam. Which is roughly the same spot it occupies on the xbl activity charts.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 5

Because now you can finally organize and run your own LAN tournaments instead of criticizing @@CyReN and the rest of Team Beyond

I was just about to launch the event.

Then I was banned because cyren knew I was about to help the community.

Blame cyren

• Downvote (-1) 3

When I say 20k I mean the game probably hits 20k concurrent peak averages during a week.

Which is pretty consistent with the numbers you posted.

Actually it may be a little high.

Remeber a game like destiny 2 is hitting 2-4 million players DAILY. So posting that h5 still draws 1.5 million a month isnt proving anything.(wait, seasons are longer then 1 month?)

http://steamcharts.com/top

20k would put it around 20th place on steam. Which is roughly the same spot it occupies on the xbl activity charts.

Destiny 2 is also the newest AAA game to have been released. Halo 5 is two years old. Its matchmaking is also over 3 systems rather than one. (H5PC does not have multiplayer search). Destiny is also an RPGMMO-like game, which means its a lot easier to retain its playerbase. So yeah, the two games are absolutely not comparable.

Dont get me wrong, Halo 5's numbers are poor - but its better than H4 and you cant compare it with Destiny 2. And before you start saying Halo 3 had 350,000 concurrents even 2 years after launch.. It did, yes, but back in 2007-09 there was basically fuck all competition in video games. It was before it became an oversaturated market - CoD was only starting to gain popularity back then. Now theres all sorts of established FPS/TPS games - Halo, Destiny, Mass effect, Assassins creed, CoD, Titanfall, Battlefield, Battlefront..

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 2