CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

Outlines ruin all suspense, and excitement. They should be used sparingly

Devalues my outlines only ironman

• Upvote (+1) 3

After thinking about it I can see part of Tuesdays announcement being that Microsoft stores will run more tournaments with Pro points similar to what they do with Gears currently. I remember the Game adviser at my store was trying to hype everyone up about the Gears stuff at the 4s tournament. 

... which means they have to include MLG right? right???

After thinking about it I can see part of Tuesdays announcement being that Microsoft stores will run more tournaments with Pro points similar to what they do with Gears currently. I remember the Game adviser at my store was trying to hype everyone up about the Gears stuff at the 4s tournament.

... which means they have to include MLG right? right???

I dunno dude, maybe giving yourself expectations isn’t a great idea at this point

Wouldnt it be sick if they released a free version of halo 5? Arena + forge only. Launch it conjunction with the hwc 2018.

It would be a smaller download, get a nice little online population boost, which could perhaps help kickstart a local LAN community for the Windows store events.

I don't know how the economics work out, but this is what I would do: as soon as Halo 6 is officially announced or teased, I'd put H5 on the Games For Gold list. Get as many people playing it. New players means new opportunities for people buying REQ packs to get up to speed. This will build momentum for next year (assuming H6 is released next year).

Regarding player outlines, one of the problems is that the outlines are still visible when the player is not obscured by a wall. The outlines make the players look blocky and low-quality, and it's hard to see shots landing on them (though this could also mask the inaccuracy of spectator mode lol)

• Upvote (+1) 3

Do retirement announcements mean anything nowadays?

Nope.

Hints why im still waiting for KILLER N to return.

Do retirement announcements mean anything nowadays?

have you followed any rock bands for the past 40 years?

Petition for "retire" to be removed from Halo vocabulary.

• Upvote (+1) 7

snip

I'm pretty sure this is on an individual level even if I do agree with the sentiment. Although objectively it does make it worse for someone out there I'm sure. It really just depends on how people view the stream. Some want the overhead view of everyone explaining everything and showing all of the players. Others like me enjoy watching a single player and how they react to what they see/hear. Its a lot more interesting to me to watch the decisions play out in real time than it is to see his mistake 15 seconds before he does because I can see through the walls. That's just boring. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I think it's incredible that some people think making this game FTP is going to bring in more players, especially releasing as such close to the release of Halo 6. This game is an absolute disaster, hence why its player retention has been downright pathetic. Making it FTP isn't going to magically bring people back. It's a terrible game and its population reflects that. Just because it's FTP doesn't mean it will magically become good and people will suddenly want to play it.

• Upvote (+1) 1
  • Downvote (-1) 1

TIL Halo esports is about “suspense”.

Every other major shooter uses outlines because it helps the commentators and viewers to see how players set themselves up and how they react to certain situations.

I have also seen tons of situations where outlines have created a ton of “suspense” that wouldn’t be there if you didn’t know where the other team was.

It creates a far more interesting and sustainable viewing model than “OMG I didn’t know that guy was there!”.

Theyre not on all the time in CoD. Outlines work in slow games like CS, but look like shit in Overwatch. In halo, the pace and ttk make it so you can stay on a pov longer than other games. It works. I genuinely dont have the same level of excitement watching halo with outlines.

It's an objectively worse viewing experience. It's clunky, and doesnt add anything to the viewing experience in halo outside of standoffs

Plus the commentators focus on the main pov and ignore the other outlines all together anyway. Observer mode is shit, and has reticule lag even on lan too.

Id rather they work on breakdowns, and top down views before trying to make outlines happen.

• Upvote (+1) 5

I think it's incredible that some people think making this game FTP is going to bring in more players, especially releasing as such close to the release of Halo 6. This game is an absolute disaster, hence why its player retention has been downright pathetic. Making it FTP isn't going to magically bring people back. It's a terrible game and its population reflects that. Just because it's FTP doesn't mean it will magically become good and people will suddenly want to play it.

I know a lot of people didn't like H5, but I think it's far from a disaster or even terrible. While you're right that making it free to play won't magically make the game much more popular, it literally can't hurt from a playerbase perspective. Then again, player retention is a finicky thing. You can be a critically acclaimed and hyped game and still have terrible player retention. I think I read that Lawbreakers hit 10 concurrent players the other day.

• Upvote (+1) 6

I know a lot of people didn't like H5, but I think it's far from a disaster or even terrible. While you're right that making it free to play won't magically make the game much more popular, it literally can't hurt from a playerbase perspective. Then again, player retention is a finicky thing. You can be a critically acclaimed and hyped game and still have terrible player retention. I think I read that Lawbreakers hit 10 concurrent players the other day.

I mean Halo 5 delivers the worst aiming feel out of any fps I've ever played. Since its an FPS that kind of makes it terrible at least in my book. I don't really have anything good to say about it and if it weren't part of the Halo franchise I wouldn't have bought it.

• Upvote (+1) 1

I mean Halo 5 delivers the worst aiming feel out of any fps I've ever played. Since its an FPS that kind of makes it terrible at least in my book. I don't really have anything good to say about it and if it weren't part of the Halo franchise I wouldn't have bought it.

Halo 2 and Halo 3 weren't exactly A Tier competitive titles either though. H2 had an incredibly easy snipe and BR, and H3 was unplayable out of the box and still suffered from horrible netcode, a terrible BR, and defined the term "teamshooting" to the point you couldn't do things by yourself.

I dont think Halo 5 would have been that hated if it was released during the golden Halo/MLG years. I'm not saying Halo 5 is as good as H2/H3 MLG, but I don't find it that much worse or those games that much better. I never played H2/H3 on xbox, so with no nostalgia towards those games, I might be viewing them different than some people (not saying your opinions are nostalgia).

H2/H3 were laregly carried by the community which was multiplied by the fact it was Halo or nothing back then. Did you really enjoy Halo 3 and seeing people teamshoot and strongside away after a full clip, or did you enjoy the huge community, the birth of esports, and seeing all your favorite pros play? When you look at pure gameplay, I fail to see how Halo 5 is that different. The individual skill is still there, the teamshot is still there, the outplays, etc. I am talking strictly esports here. I agree Halo 5 doesn't have shit on Halo 3 when it comes to casual play.

• Upvote (+1) 2
  • Downvote (-1) 1

Halo 2 and Halo 3 weren't exactly A Tier competitive titles either though. H2 had an incredibly easy snipe and BR, and H3 was unplayable out of the box and still suffered from horrible netcode, a terrible BR, and defined the term "teamshooting" to the point you couldn't do things by yourself.

I dont think Halo 5 would have been that hated if it was released during the golden Halo/MLG years. I'm not saying Halo 5 is as good as H2/H3 MLG, but I don't find it that much worse or those games that much better. I never played H2/H3 on xbox, so with no nostalgia towards those games, I might be viewing them different than some people (not saying your opinions are nostalgia).

H2/H3 were laregly carried by the community which was multiplied by the fact it was Halo or nothing back then. Did you really enjoy Halo 3 and seeing people teamshoot and strongside away after a full clip, or did you enjoy the huge community, the birth of esports, and seeing all your favorite pros play? When you look at pure gameplay, I fail to see how Halo 5 is that different. The individual skill is still there, the teamshot is still there, the outplays, etc. I am talking strictly esports here. I agree Halo 5 doesn't have shit on Halo 3 when it comes to casual play.

Aside from netcode and guns that shoot straight(h3) H2/H3 were better at everything. LAN H3 was an enjoyable game in pretty much every way. You could say aiming was weird in H3 but I'll take a weird system over one that feels sluggish/laggy to me. These are also games that were released in 2004/2007. The current top tier shooters have moved beyond a lot of the issues and things that plagued games back then where Halo is in some weird loop that doesn't actually move forward and instead gets worse as we lose features post Reach

Theres also the bit where you can't actually have local lans that really holds back the game esports wise. The thing is you can't actually separate the esports and the community/casual stuff. The tournaments etc only exist because of the community and a game that doesn't actually support any of that is destined to fail because without the players you don't have anything. 

• Upvote (+1) 1