CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

People not understanding how competitive OW works lul.

The tournaments right now have a playerbase that a lot of countries could put up a roster just for their nation. The audiences in Sidney also seemed kinda big, their worlds is at blizzcon.

Overwatch is one of the most successful games in the last years.

I think they are good to go.

• Upvote (+1) 3
  • Downvote (-1) 1

I don't know what's going on when I watch OW. 

its incredibly hard to spectate imo.  With 6 players all with multiple abilities and supers and the long-ass kill times its hard to know 1) what to look at and 2) what plays were actually impactful to the outcome of the game.  It really artificially downplays the skill of the individual player and the common "protoss death-ball" style of play regardless of team comp is really boring to watch.  You need to both 1) understand the strengths and weaknesses of each player and 2) have a decent knowledge of the meta for spectating to "make sense"

CS is 5v5 but doesn't have this issue partly because minimum kill times are fast and the objective is very obvious.  its still possible to wipe the other team if you are just a tiny bit faster and a tiny bit more accurate, letting individual skill shine through.  There is a ton of teamwork and strategy involved too the deeper you get into the game, but unlike overwatch you dont need to have a deep understanding of the maps, economy or individual weapons to still be entertained and impressed by the gameplay.

Halo has some sandbox issues at the moment that tempers this a bit but in general with even less people per team and moderate kill times, it has a more even ratio of individual skill and team skill that is obvious to the casual observer.  Similar to CS what is happening on the screen is obvious and the objectives are clear.  Its automatically impressive even to new viewers to see someone start getting shot in the back, turn and 5 somebody and survive.

Basically, CS and Halo are much better spectator experiences imo than overwatch.

They make more obvious sense to the viewer in the moment and individual battles actually carry weight.

• Upvote (+1) 5
  • Downvote (-1) 1

So I should drive to my local Microsoft store to play in an online tournament when I can just play in an online tournament online? And if I don't do this, as a community member I'm negatively impacting Halo's growth? 

to meet people who play Halo? wtf lol ... it's more like a LAN, I'm sure we'll end up playing custom games after the first couple rounds

People not understanding how competitive OW works lul.

The tournaments right now have a playerbase that a lot of countries could put up a roster just for their nation. The audiences in Sidney also seemed kinda big, their worlds is at blizzcon.

Overwatch is one of the most successful games in the last years.

I think they are good to go.

https://www.over.gg/event/s/130/266/world-cup-2017-katowice-group-stage

32 countries qualified. at least double that were in qualifiers. 6 man teams on each. its pretty impressive. the stream numbers arent great (sydney stage had 25k) but they have large crowds in what look to be good sized venues (think mlg event sizes) when it comes back in august, it will be worth tuning in just to see crowd size. burbank stage should be a good indication on  whether there is enough state side interest in turning out for ow events

• Upvote (+1) 2

Something to note from the announcent:

I really hope this can become a reality at some point. Would love to have the NA guys out here at some point in the future.

Wooo. 

Would also love to see LATAM get more love. 

• Upvote (+1) 3

its incredibly hard to spectate imo.  With 6 players all with multiple abilities and supers and the long-ass kill times its hard to know 1) what to look at and 2) what plays were actually impactful to the outcome of the game.  It really artificially downplays the skill of the individual player and the common "protoss death-ball" style of play regardless of team comp is really boring to watch.  You need to both 1) understand the strengths and weaknesses of each player and 2) have a decent knowledge of the meta for spectating to "make sense"

CS is 5v5 but doesn't have this issue partly because minimum kill times are fast and the objective is very obvious.  its still possible to wipe the other team if you are just a tiny bit faster and a tiny bit more accurate, letting individual skill shine through.  There is a ton of teamwork and strategy involved too the deeper you get into the game, but unlike overwatch you dont need to have a deep understanding of the maps, economy or individual weapons to still be entertained and impressed by the gameplay.

Halo has some sandbox issues at the moment that tempers this a bit but in general with even less people per team and moderate kill times, it has a more even ratio of individual skill and team skill that is obvious to the casual observer.  Similar to CS what is happening on the screen is obvious and the objectives are clear.  Its automatically impressive even to new viewers to see someone start getting shot in the back, turn and 5 somebody and survive.

Basically, CS and Halo are much better spectator experiences imo than overwatch.

They make more obvious sense to the viewer in the moment and individual battles actually carry weight.

this right here is why halo, handled well and with lan capability, could be a large esport. there is depth in the skill, but anyone can watch it and figure out what is going on plus there is depth to the story lines we have in our long history as a competitive game. i dont think we could be a 400k twitch viewer pgl level game, but 75k-100k for a well produced event should not be out of the question 

• Upvote (+1) 2

I really hope this can become a reality at some point. Would love to have the NA guys out here at some point in the future, but for now lets make this the biggest and best EU event to date.

I kinda want to see Gfinity host Worlds 2018. The new arena certainly looks up to the task and the Gfinity broadcasts are always very solid. 

Throw in some international teams, a strong set of casters, and a good host and you're home free.

• Upvote (+1) 6

28553247a784f8e385a7abd3fc8716ef.png

tenor.gif

Yeah,he doesn't understand that we had several bad halo games (reach,4,MCC).And that we don't have lan because no one was showing up to grassroot tournaments but because Microsoft was incredibly anti lan at that time.The community definitely needs to be much more proactive (I do think this is a problem) but there's only so much we can do when 343 and ESL are trying to do the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

So let me get this straight:

HCS decides to not allow NA teams to come to EU to participate in their event due to EU players worrying about Prize Money distribution.

HCS just allowed 4 EU teams to not only come to an NA event for free, but give them Champ Bracket spots and basically free money for barely placing in the Top 12. (1-18)

If that is not one of the most backwards/hypocritical explanations I've seen in some time, I honestly don't know what is.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised?

Side Note:  Love EU, the players and the community.  That is just an asinine reasoning behind it considering you gave them enough freedom during an NA tournament.

• Upvote (+1) 5

this right here is why halo, handled well and with lan capability, could be a large esport. there is depth in the skill, but anyone can watch it and figure out what is going on plus there is depth to the story lines we have in our long history as a competitive game. i dont think we could be a 400k twitch viewer pgl level game, but 75k-100k for a well produced event should not be out of the question 

Exactly.  last weekend should have easily had triple the viewer count it did.

CS is the only FPS i see that is currently in a great place for long-term stability.  I don't even like to play the game, but i still watch it.  It reels me in.  Just when i think, "ahh this is too slow/lopsided" some crazy shit happens or a team starts to make a comeback.  its got a great mixture of fast and slow moments and deep pool of talent with very good casters.  Its the first esport i have watched (other than Halo) that has the capacity to pull in non-players (aka me) as spectators and fans. LoL and Dota are just not fun to watch if you dont have a base knowledge of the game.  Starcraft is the same. There is a lot of knowledge you need to have to understand why some plays are better than others and thats not great for growth or stability unless your player base is huuuuuge (like LoL and Dota is).

• Upvote (+1) 4

So let me get this straight:

HCS decides to not allow NA teams to come to EU to participate in their event due to EU players worrying about Prize Money distribution.

HCS just allowed 4 EU teams to not only come to an NA event for free, but give them Champ Bracket spots and basically free money for barely placing in the Top 12. (1-18)

If that is not one of the most backwards/hypocritical explanations I've seen in some time, I honestly don't know what is.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised?

Side Note:  Love EU, the players and the community.  That is just an asinine reasoning behind it considering you gave them enough freedom during an NA tournament.

I see it differently.  That decision is actually learning from your mistakes.

EU teams should have been given preferential treatment in the open bracket when they came here, not the champ bracket. OR run an eu-only portion with 50k on the line.

the opposite is not true.  Letting NA teams come over and compete even through the open would basically push out the EU teams from finishing in the money in their own region.  Not good.

I dont think its hypocritical, its not making the same mistake twice.

• Upvote (+1) 6

com·pet·i·tor
/kəmˈpedədər/
noun
  1. a forum poster who shows up, wears meme shirts, heckles pros, may or may not get drunk

this is me right now:

• Upvote (+1) 2

What kind of person would ever pay for this crap?

i think they look cool  :mj:

(but i'm gonna but it with req points)

• Upvote (+1) 2

I see it differently.  That decision is actually learning from your mistakes.

EU teams should have been given preferential treatment in the open bracket when they came here, not the champ bracket. OR run an eu-only portion with 50k on the line.

the opposite is not true.  Letting NA teams come over and compete even through the open would basically push out the EU teams from finishing in the money in their own region.  Not good.

I dont think its hypocritical, its not making the same mistake twice.

Learning from your mistakes?

I don't see how saying "We're worried that NA teams will take EU prize money" is a way of learning from your mistakes at all.  

EU Pro Players are constantly saying that they are the weaker region because "They don't get to play against NA Pro Teams enough."  Well guess what, this was your chance HCS, now it's gone because EU Pros are scared of losing some money.  

Babying the EU region by keeping NA out of it when EVERY OTHER eSport allows EVERY continent to compete in their major tournaments is just another step back in the overall process.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Wooo. 

Would also love to see LATAM get more love. 

Not happening. 343 logic is like "let's give Europe open LAN events so 25 or 30 teams can attend" instead of the more rational "let's do a 1k online tournament for the Latam region so 128 teams can register in less than a week and let's start growing the scene from there". I hope things change for Halo 6.

• Upvote (+1) 7

What kind of person would ever pay for this crap?

I bought the LootCrate because I wanted to see if it was worth it - kind of meh but the skins were a pretty cool bonus.

Sucks that people who spent 200+ on them thinking they'd be exclusive got screwed over.

• Upvote (+1) 1

Learning from your mistakes?

I don't see how saying "We're worried that NA teams will take EU prize money" is a way of learning from your mistakes at all.  

EU Pro Players are constantly saying that they are the weaker region because "They don't get to play against NA Pro Teams enough."  Well guess what, this was your chance HCS, now it's gone because EU Pros are scared of losing some money.  

Babying the EU region by keeping NA out of it when EVERY OTHER eSport allows EVERY continent to compete in their major tournaments is just another step back in the overall process.

yeah no. you're comparing larger esports with more regional parity to a smaller esport with 0 regional parity whatsoever.

1) Thats also not always true.  Lots of esports qualifiers are region-locked.

2) The ones that aren't have more parity region to region than Halo

3) You also need being a pro to be a sustainable venture for the players.  Letting NA teams take all your money totally fucks that. 

its a fine decision that doesn't need to be torn apart

I feel like they heard the outcry for new skins and decided to release the sticker one for free to accommodate that need

• Upvote (+1) 8