CyReN

HCS Pro League Fall 2017 Teams, Seeds, and Discussion‏

SYsn041.png

over 100 billion people

Oh the Sudds are actually stupid. Frosty calls everyone an idiot but i guess he really means it with these guys. 

• Upvote (+1) 1

Oh the Sudds are actually stupid. Frosty calls everyone an idiot but i guess he really means it with these guys.

Just your average pro Halo player IQ
  • Upvote (+1) 1

Anyone over the age of 14 that still believes in or supports TMMT needs a serious reality check.

I never liked that asshole after the 6'4 fully tatted video

Anyone over the age of 14 that still believes ever believed in or supports TMMT needs a serious reality check.

FTFY

• Upvote (+1) 2

I fail to see the problem?

A ranking system is meant to accurately portray a player's individual skill. Removing the possibility of reaching max rank just because you're not playing in a group defeats the purpose of such a system.
  • Upvote (+1) 8

Just imagine if puckett is in the casting line up, MLG confirmed.... Puckett won't be one of them I know, but just being hypothetical 

Anyone thinking of heading out to the Nashville MS Store 4v4? I'm looking for 2 more. HMU here or on twitter.

I fail to see the problem?

There are a group of players in this game that want to reach the highest rank without having to play with other people, (look at Naded). If you can effectively climb the ranks alone then you are not forced to be social in order to improve YOUR rank. If Menke thinks you should only be able to reach the highest rank by searching with a group, then the highest rank should only be limited to a group. You can't possibly think teams of four beating up on randoms to reach rank 1 is a fair way to show who's better right? If he wants champion one available to someone that searches only with teams, then the playlist should only be restricted to teams of four to make it the most balanced experience possible for this type of ranking system. As for the solo q players, they should get their own HCS playlist that only allows parties of one to search. Why give FREE wins to teams of four? That is nonsense because it immediately drains the value of what a high rank even means. No loop holes should be allowed. 

• Upvote (+1) 7

Halo isn't Halo unless there's a Team Randa

Halo wasn't Halo in 2004?

There are a group of players in this game that want to reach the highest rank without having to play with other people, (look at Naded). If you can effectively climb the ranks alone then you are not forced to be social in order to improve YOUR rank. If Menke thinks you should only be able to reach the highest rank by searching with a group, then the highest rank should only be limited to a group. You can't possibly think teams of four beating up on randoms to reach rank 1 is a fair way to show who's better right? If he wants champion one available to someone that searches only with teams, then the playlist should only be restricted to teams of four to make it the most balanced experience possible for this type of ranking system. As for the solo q players, they should get their own HCS playlist that only allows parties of one to search. Why give FREE wins to teams of four? That is nonsense because it immediately drains the value of what a high rank even means. No loop holes should be allowed.

I've gotta cross post this because people are jumping to the wrong conclusions on Menke's comment

TO4s obviously shouldn't be matching soloQers- but that not even something he's arguing.

I feel like people are totally mischaracterizing his comment.

Think about it from a purely mathematical standpoint. Let's say you are the best player in the game - Matchmaking's job is to assemble two teams that have an equal chance of winning the match. Ideally, no matter how good you are, your best chance of winning would be 50%- this is a defining characteristic of a "good match". This would typically mean you having some less talented players on your team than the opposing team- limiting your chances at moving up.

With that in mind- the only way to consistently boost your chances above 50% would be to have a team so good that the system struggles to find a team that can beat you 50% of the the time- allowing you to rank up. Sure, MM would put you in such a team occasionally, but it would also put you on the other side just as often.

He's not advocating for arbitrary blocks on soloQers getting top 1. He's just saying if population and MM were ideal doing so would be mathematically improbable- because you'll still likely be losing as often as you are winning.

There's nothing stopping the top player from carrying himself to the top rank other than the fact that , if MM is doing its job, the people he's carrying against are probably too good to consistently handle on his own- since the MM system is aiming for a 50% win rate.

"Letting" soloQers hit top one would mean arbitrarily adjusting the algorithm in favor of players it thinks are better. We shouldn't want arbitrary shit in the process at all- just wins and losses- aiming for 50%.

If people want their individual skill to be the sole determining factor of their chances at moving up, the only way to achieve that would be in FFA or 1v1 playlists. Team makeup is always going to influence MM (and consequently rank) in a team playlist. You could have lone wolf HCS and 4v4 HCS- but that's only going to screw with populations further.

• Upvote (+1) 6

@@Mhunterjr

Matchmaking's job is not to assemble two teams with an equal chance at winning the match. It's gonna be slightly off to give one team a better chance than the other most of the time.

The only way to consistently boost your chances of winning over 50% of the time is with a good team. I agree but it shouldn't be that way. It wouldn't be this way if matchmaking had party restrictions and skill search restrictions. Meaning don't try to balance a game of matchmaking with diamonds and plats in a champion level match. The 50% thing should only comes into affect when your at your true MMR rank. If they dont have party restrictions/skill restrictions it will NEVER be fair for the player. So putting those in allows you to rank up with ease to where you belong until you actually can't carry. Halo 3 had both of these features. I know plenty of people who can solo q straight to the top because of this. 

You're not adjusting the algorithm to favor the solo q player. I don't know how you got that honestly. If anything we are adjusting the algorithm to not favor searching as a team of four so you can't beat up on random solo q players all day. If you add party restrictions you instantly fix this problem by making it MORE FAIR for both the teams of four and the solo q players since they will only match others like them (teams vs teams, solos vs solos). Right now the advantage you get for searching 4s is too strong. You get free wins on soloQers way too often. If they fix this problem it doesn't mean solo q players now have an advantage. It means solo q players have a better chance then they did before. If the strongest 4s players and solo q players had a contest at who could get to rank 1 the fastest, the fours player would win since Optic would win wayyyyy more than naded going in alone. But a dream is a dream. 

• Upvote (+1) 2

@@Mhunterjr

Matchmaking's job is not to assemble two teams with an equal chance at winning the match. It's gonna be slightly off to give one team a better chance than the other most of the time.

The only way to consistently boost your chances of winning over 50% of the time is with a good team. I agree but it shouldn't be that way. It wouldn't be this way if matchmaking had party restrictions and skill search restrictions. Meaning don't try to balance a game of matchmaking with diamonds and plats in a champion level match. The 50% thing should only comes into affect when your at your true MMR rank. If they dont have party restrictions/skill restrictions it will NEVER be fair for the player. So putting those in allows you to rank up with ease to where you belong until you actually can't carry. Halo 3 had both of these features. I know plenty of people who can solo q straight to the top because of this.

You're not adjusting the algorithm to favor the solo q player. I don't know how you got that honestly. If anything we are adjusting the algorithm to not favor searching as a team of four so you can't beat up on random solo q players all day. If you add party restrictions you instantly fix this problem by making it MORE FAIR for both the teams of four and the solo q players since they will only match others like them (teams vs teams, solos vs solos). Right now the advantage you get for searching 4s is too strong. You get free wins on soloQers way too often. If they fix this problem it doesn't mean solo q players now have an advantage. It means solo q players have a better chance then they did before. If the strongest 4s players and solo q players had a contest at who could get to rank 1 the fastest, the fours player would win since Optic would win wayyyyy more than naded going in alone. But a dream is a dream.

You are arguing against a bunch of non-existent arguments.

The point of matchmaking is to make "good matches". Equal chances are one of several characteristics of a good match. You also want players of equal skill. You also factor in connection. You also want to minimize matchmaking times. Obviouly it will be off- its mathmatically impossible to have all of these values be equal for every match. But a good MM system aims for this.

Party restrictions are great, and should be in the game, but that doesn't change the fact that your chances of winning are influenced by who ends up on your team.

that's an entirely seperate issue from plats matching Onyx players.

As far as "favoring soloqers" i was speaking to the notion of a system that keeps uses a single MM pool but is designed to "allow" soloqers to reach top one. So long as the pools are united,

(Which is best for MM times), they should factor party size into matches made AND when distributing CSR.

This would keep soloqers from meeting TO4s- unless they actually stood a realistic chance of beating them and allow csr to be an accurate representation of skill regardless of team size.

Anyone thinking of heading out to the Nashville MS Store 4v4? I'm looking for 2 more. HMU here or on twitter.

Where you driving from?

• Upvote (+1) 1